By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Resident Evil (5) discussion thread (NOT the platform)

Wow, somebody who has similar opinions. Reminds me of my RE4 impressions thread. RE4 wasn't a bad game, but I felt like it was very different than the other ones and the gameplay change to over the shoulder changes the entire experience to a more action orientation.

I'm sure some things were changed on the Wii version (such as the crosshair for the Wii-mote.. I envy that version), but the PS2 version felt rather slow and clunky. I did think the puzzles were rather easy and rather than have an overlying area, everything is ment to push you to go from one area to the next and could be solved without much effort with the exception of one or two puzzles. Combat began to feel like a chore rather than enjoyable the more time I spent with the game. To it's credit though, the rocket launcher rocks and I was having lots of fun after I beat the game and bought the 'infinite rocket launcher'. Lastly, I felt the background story and such was rather shallow and it kept everything very vague throughout the entire game. Something I had missed was finding notes and such and you could read diaries, logs, and such written by people before crap goes down. In RE4, notes were pretty much to foreshadow a boss or an upcoming obstacle.

From that newer video of Resident Evil 5, it looks to be an improved Resident Evil 4. I don't have a problem with this as long as they can improve on their new formula, which by videos of RE4 on the Wii, they've already improved it a little bit.

Around the Network

All of you might not want to jump on that bandwagon at the same time, it's a little too close to that explosive barrel in the corner...

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

BengaBenga said:

I noticed that there are a number of RE fans on this forum, which makes me happy. It's probably my favorite series after Zelda and I can't wait for the 5th iteration.... or can I...

Previous weeks I've been replaying the series, well I tried but I skipped 2 and 3 because I couldn't enjoy the games because of the graphics anymore.

So I finished (in order of playing): REmake, RE 0, RE: Code VeronicaX and RE 4Wii. Playing the games in a small time period I was amazed how much I loved the GC remake over RE 4.

Don't get me wrong, RE 4 (especially the Wii edition) is a fantastic game, but it is a little too easy. A few examples:

• In RE I still died a lot of times, RE4 was more runnin and gunnin.
  • I finished RE with about 12 bullets of non-handgun ammo left, while ammo in RE4 is extremely well available, you can kill every caharcter in the game and still won't be short of ammo.
  • Same for herbs. Herbs are scarse in RE, not in 4
  • In RE you can't upgrade your life-bar in 4 you have the yellow herbs.
  • Puzzles are insane in RE and way too easy in 4
  • 6 or 8 items can be carried in RE, almost unlimited in 4

Also I like the locked camera, it brought a lot of tension to the game and the storyline and especially the plot is way better in RE (the end of 4 was a bit of a let down).

Of course RE4 is completely 3D and contols a 1000 times better then the other RE games.

My question to other fans of the series: What way do you want the series to progress. I personally hope that they keep the RE4 control scheme but return to the original concept of survival horror a little more. So less storage space, less herbs, less ammo, harder puzzles.

I also hope Capcom will make the story a little better and less straightforward this time. I loved the files that could be found in the mansion that described parts of what was going on, but didn't give away the story. Or tha way that you saw Wesker and Barry throughout the first game and essentially didn't know what was going on. The end was also epic.

Discuss but PLEASE: I want a discussion on the Resident Evil series, between people who like the game, or are interested in it. I personally don't care on what platform the game will appear and I ask you to NOT start a discussion on potential Wii versions or 360 exclusivity or other platform related issues. Thanks.

Too easy my ass!  I had a pretty hard time with RE4 and constantly had to think about ammo and health.  >_>

@Twestern,

Well I don't mean to say that RE4 is a child's game all of a sudden. It's a very good game and definitely not very easy compared to regular games. But compared with the RE series (which are all tough games) it's quite easy.

Please try REmake, and you'll know what I mean. That is the most hardcore game I ever played and I love it.

The obstacle for about 90% of the gamers is the control scheme. But if you get that down (after an hour intensive RE you should be able to run around no problem!) it's a great SURVIVAL HORROR game:) I know this first hand because I turned all my friends into Resident Evil fans by forcing them to give it a try for longer then 5 minutes (overcoming the control part) and they loved it! We began organizing Resident Evil nights and bought a shit load of half liter beers and played all night passing the controler down. I remember one of them didn't dare to play anymore because everytime he got the controler something freaky happend (read the damn dogs through the windows;)) Great times.
It's also a game that if fun eventhough you are watching someone else play. You feel the atmosfere and the tension of the player and try to help them with the puzzles (think zack and wiki helping with puzzles:)). It's great. Didn't really get that with RE4 because everything was the same and straight forward. You just got the feeling your seeing some shooting frenzy.

I recommend RE and RE:0 for gamecube to everyone that likes the following:
-A good story (it's more complicated then it seems, search wikipedia if you must)
-Horror
-Survival
-Puzzling
-Tension
-Graphics
-Exploration

although it is recommended that you have a strong will because you can get stuck ALOT and the game runs at a rather slow pace with alot of backtracking. YOu must remember alot.

Wii code:                                        Mario Kart wii:
6586-0674-1620-6955                        0344-9880-0252
PM me if you added me and I'll add you:)

Self-proclaimed, biggest Resident Evil Fanboy of VGChartz!

Around the Network

As soon as i get a gamecube controller for the Wii i will get these two slash said.

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

@Flow,

Well considering you love the series, REmake for GC will absolutely blow your mind. It's 100 x better than the PSone original (and that was a very good game). Puzzles are better, much more files to find (2 extra, very cool storylines: Trevor and Lisa) and the graphics are superb. It's also harder than the original.

That's more scary than any zombie omg, wonder how you play with that thing

But i'll do it

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

BengaBenga said:
@Flow,

Well considering you love the series, REmake for GC will absolutely blow your mind. It's 100 x better than the PSone original (and that was a very good game). Puzzles are better, much more files to find (2 extra, very cool storylines: Trevor and Lisa) and the graphics are superb. It's also harder than the original.

WHAT!!!! LISA WASN'T IN THE PS1 VERSION? 

omg how can they live knowing that wasn't in the game. Without a doubt Lisa Trevor is the scariest enemy I have ever encountered in a game.. I don't know what you mean by Trevor and Lisa seeing asthough they are the same or do you mean her family and herself?  You feel so helpless:( And her cries of anger and pain but mostly loneliness..    Graphics are 3243x beter which will surely add to the freakiness yes:)

Wii code:                                        Mario Kart wii:
6586-0674-1620-6955                        0344-9880-0252
PM me if you added me and I'll add you:)

Self-proclaimed, biggest Resident Evil Fanboy of VGChartz!

Sorry, meant the George Trevor diary storyline. That guy who built the masion for the Umbrella founder.