By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Critics: Game of the Year Winners Announced

Move SMG up to #1 and switch Uncharted and Assassin's Creed. Then I'd be happy.

Around the Network
supermario128 said:
SMG = Game of the year

This is fairly obvious, and there's no way that Orange Box should be ahead of Galaxy.  That's more like the "best FPS games of 2007" list.  And in the list of best FPS games of 2007, I think Halo 3 should be 4th.

assassins creed? rock band? what a joke of a list.

Call me a fanboy but only one Wii game, even though Wii is the winning console of this year? Doesn't make sense, sorry. At least Metroid Prime 3 could've been in there.

I drink your milkshake.

Guys before you guys complain, look at the judges lists... Then just let it roll of your back.

The list explains all believe me. 

Around the Network

I'm not surprised to see people on this board unhappy with that list.

I think Rock Band does deserve to be that high. It is a well put together game that really advanced it's genre and provides a multiplayer experience that is unparalleled for that type of game.

I think that you could probably rearrange the top 5 in any order and someone is going to think they are full of shit. Personally, I think Mass Effect is a Top 5 game, but really the list is full of good games that deserve to be in the top 10.

The judges are pretty diverse. Yes, MTV News is on the list but it is a long list and I believe MTV news does report on games. The list does include the editors from every major game website and most magazines.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

outlawauron said:
Guys, this is a list of all lists. It uses over 20 reviewers and uses their votes as the list. The rational complaint you could have is AC at #9.

Actually, a rational complaint would be that despite the fact that many of these magazines have Mario as their best rated game of 2007, only a single one of their editors/representatives voted Mario Galaxy as the top game for this game of the year award. That reviewer was Tores from Gamespot, by the way.

Many, if not most of them, rated Mario Galaxy (and again, this is the second highest rated game in the history of gaming) well under other games that didn't even make it to the final list. Case in point: George Jones from GamePro, who gave Mario Strikers 5 points... and Mario Galaxy none.

As another example, IGN's Tal Blevins voted Mario Galaxy number 7, that's behind Puzzle Quest DS, and this despite the fact that IGN made this big fuss about it being, you know, their game of the year.

If there's anything rational as to this list, if fails me...

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

BIOSHOCK OVER ORANGE BOX?!? WHAT THE HELL!?

Bioshock was good, but it wasn't THAT good...

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Ah what a sad list.

'Waaaaahhhhhh, my favorite game didn't make the top 3! Waaaahhhhh!!!!!"

Seriously guys, not everybody shares your personal tastes and every one of those top 5 games are absolutely great and deserve recognition. I've played and beat every one except SMG, which I have played and think it's amazing. Stop being so pissy about the order they're put in.

Most of you bitching about RB probably haven't even played the game and last year cheered on Wii Sports getting some GoTY recognition.

A little hypocritical and fanboyish, dontchathink? I can't wait until later in the year when RB hits the Wii and then watch it suddenly become the second coming of Jesus Christ on these forums.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/