By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Confirmed: 3GB OF DDR3 ram in XBOX one will be used to run the OS

slowmo said:

Nice try, DDR3 is not slow RAM.

It is GDDR5 runs at least twice the speed than DDR3... sorry... DDR3 have better latencies but slow speeds.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
fillet said:
VGKing said:
think-man said:
VGKing said:
We've known this for months too :D

The RAM difference is pretty huge between PS4 and Xbox One.

PS4 = 7GB Fast GDDR5 RAM for games.
Xbox One = 5GB Slow DDR3 RAM for games.

It's a big difference and it will affect the games. Xbox One will be the limiting factor for next-gen 3rd party titles. It's obvious that the entertainment focus of Microsoft had a huge effect on the design of the console. Both on the specs and the apperance of the console itself. Seriously, it looks like a DVR or set-top box.

You're comparing GDDR to DDR....

GDDR is for the graphics card and DDR is for the RAM

These consoles are using UNIFIED memory. They don't have split pools of system and gpu ram like current-gen consoles.
PS4 = 8GB Unified GDDR5 Memory.
Xbox One = 8GB Unified DDR3 Memory w/ 32MB ESRAM.

Yes, GDDR is for graphics, which is why Sony picked it for hte PS4. DDR is for general purpose computing.

Jumpin said:
VGKing said:

It's a big difference and it will affect the games. Xbox One will be the limiting factor for next-gen 3rd party titles. It's obvious that the entertainment focus of Microsoft had a huge effect on the design of the console. Both on the specs and the apperance of the console itself. Seriously, it looks like a DVR or set-top box.

DDR3 is as high as it gets for RAM.

GDDR5 is GPU ram based on DDR3.

You  have no idea what you're talking about. These are consoles, not PCs.

Xbox One will not be using DDR3 RAM for the GPU.

Logic dictates it would be too much of a bottleneck to touch such low bandwidth rubbish.

The GPU and CPU will share the 8GB DRR3 & 32 MB ESRAM. The console has unified system memory.

I realize that, it's the reason I call bs on the whole thing. Could be wrong though. I'll look at source....should have done that the first time.

slowmo said:
ethomaz said:

Tom3k said:

That's why they've combined it with 32MB of ESRAM.

To avoid the bottleneck generated by the slow DDR3... that is the main purpose of the eSRAM.

Nice try, DDR3 is not slow RAM. 

DDR3 isn't slow for the system RAM.

For GPU as it's a unified architecture it's worse than slow, it's a travesty.

Can't make fair analysis until seeing what that 32MB cache does...

The multitasking shown at the presentation probably requires a fair share of Ram as well.

And people thought 1GB for the Wii U was a lot...goes to show really.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I'm probably going to sound like a fanboy when I say this but am I the only one who think the Specs that was confirmed for the Wii U are not true, because I also heard that it had 3 gigs of ram in all. Supposely a hacker confirmed the specs of the Wii U which were different compare to what Digital Factory confirmed.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Suke said:

I'm probably going to sound like a fanboy when I say this but am I the only one who think the Specs that was confirmed for the Wii U are not true, because I also heard that it had 3 gigs of ram in all. Supposely a hacker confirmed the specs of the Wii U which were different compare to what Digital Foundry confirmed.

The didital Foundry article is a travesty ! It is composed of 95% guesswork and the rest is bullshit !

VGKing said:

Nice one :D

walsufnir said:
VGKing said:

Nice one :D

ROTFL XD  you'd think folks would learn by now ....confirm stuff before going on airs proclaim doom and gloom

kowenicki said:

no official word yet.... but has anyone got any circus music they can play over this gif for some of the posts here?

Lets not get too excited now. 

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords