By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Confirmed: 3GB OF DDR3 ram in XBOX one will be used to run the OS

VGKing said:
slowmo said:
thismeintiel said:
slowmo said:
If Sony have low balled on the OS footprint they are going to be a long way behind the 360 on software features as this gen progresses. It'll be like cross game chat this gen but a lot worse. They better hope more available RAM sells more games that the complete experience Microsoft are marketing.

1GB is more than enough for an OS.  Especially considering what MS pulled off with the 360 with only 512MB of RAM for the OS AND games.  Or what Sony pulled off with 256MB of system RAM for the OS AND partially used by games.  So yea, 1GB will be fine.

Actually given Microsoft are arguably the biggest software company in the world I think they might have more of a clue than Sony on this point but time will prove me right if Sony are sticking at 1 GB IMO.

They are pushing the entertainment and services. To do this, they decided to use 3 Operating Systems.(Windows, Xbox and one that connectst them both) This is  a remarkable achievement but it takes a huge toll on system resources. 3GB for OS is a huge negative here considering how much will be available for the PS4. The good thing is that they can reduce the OS footprint over time. 

Has Ms confirmed that the os takes 3gbs or you just basing it on rumors from that site? lol

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
slowmo said:
thismeintiel said:
slowmo said:
If Sony have low balled on the OS footprint they are going to be a long way behind the 360 on software features as this gen progresses. It'll be like cross game chat this gen but a lot worse. They better hope more available RAM sells more games that the complete experience Microsoft are marketing.

1GB is more than enough for an OS.  Especially considering what MS pulled off with the 360 with only 512MB of RAM for the OS AND games.  Or what Sony pulled off with 256MB of system RAM for the OS AND partially used by games.  So yea, 1GB will be fine.

Actually given Microsoft are arguably the biggest software company in the world I think they might have more of a clue than Sony on this point but time will prove me right if Sony are sticking at 1 GB IMO.

And the Xbox One will have esentially 3 OSs running, while the PS4 will have one.

That's a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me. If its anything like Windows, it will get slower over time. 
Wouldn't having 3 OS running at once kinda like triple the error rate or even caus e lock ups if one of them malfunctions?

Microsoft are good, but they're not THAT good. I expect some issues at launch jus tlike the Wii U had.

dane007 said:
VGKing said:
slowmo said:
thismeintiel said:
slowmo said:

They are pushing the entertainment and services. To do this, they decided to use 3 Operating Systems.(Windows, Xbox and one that connectst them both) This is  a remarkable achievement but it takes a huge toll on system resources. 3GB for OS is a huge negative here considering how much will be available for the PS4. The good thing is that they can reduce the OS footprint over time. 

Has Ms confirmed that the os takes 3gbs or you just basing it on rumors from that site? lol

They've confirmed it to Game Informer. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/21/the-tech-spec-test-xbox-one-vs-playstation-4.aspx

Even if Game Informer didn't have an article up, we've seen the leaks and they've ALL turned out to be true. Just because you don't like it, it doesn't make it false. VgLeaks is the source of all the leaks and they have an excellent track record.

leo-j said:

3GB of the total of 8GB of DDR3 ram will be chopped off from developer use for the operating system

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/21/xbox-hardware-evolution-chart.aspx

the other 5 gigs will be for the games, that's a lot of ram

So PS4 will have FASTER and MORE RAM available to developers. 

VGKing said:

That's a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me. If its anything like Windows, it will get slower over time. 
Wouldn't having 3 OS running at once kinda like triple the error rate or even cause lock ups if one of them malfunctions?

Let's not get carried away with that 3 OS thingie. Both consoles MIGHT have a maximum of 2 os running. You need a different os for different processors. On the XBox One side, we apparently do NOT have backward compatibility hardware, so no Xenos processor. On the PS4 side, there is the rumour of an ARM processor running certain things (like "Share button" and "Sleep mode"), so this second processor would need its own small os (beause the proc has different microcode). Nothing is known how XBox One runs the sleep mode, so they might get away with the single Jaguar chip.

Now what could they have meant with "running 3 os at once"? Well, the WIndows8 kernel and os stuff is a task that needs to run at high priority, the Kinect2 stuff is another tasks that runs at high priority, and a third task is the "housekeeping stuff". The Kinect2 task is probably idling often, as generating the depth field no longer takes any processing time away from the cpu/gpu. I'd guess the "3 OS" thing is sinply the three key tasks which probably block 2 cores on the XBox One. Same with the PS4, os tasks and "Kinect2-look-alike" task block two cores (with the latter one keeping one core fully working).

And if the PS4 wants to (most likely already does it) mimick what XBox One does, they will obviously also need the ram to do it, so don't expect 7G of free ram in the PS4.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
thismeintiel said:

And the Xbox One will have esentially 3 OSs running, while the PS4 will have one.

Wouldn't having 3 OS running at once kinda like triple the error rate or even caus e lock ups if one of them malfunctions?

Microsoft are good, but they're not THAT good. I expect some issues at launch jus tlike the Wii U had.

Yea, it does sound like it could be a potential nightmare.  No one makes the perfect OS.  I expect Sony to have a few hiccups at the start, too.  But to keep track of 3 OSs, 2 of which (if not all 3) will be running at the same time.  I don't know.  Just sounds like chaos waiting to happen, to me.

The PS4 will be the most powerful, XboxOne will be a leap compare to the 360 ,but Microsoft is going to go with Nintendo tactics and go their direction with the console with all the features it have, same with the Wii U. This gen is going to be fun :3

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

I feel both the XboxOne and PS4 will start slow just like the Wii U then pick up steam few months in.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Tom3k said:

That's why they've combined it with 32MB of ESRAM.

To avoid the bottleneck generated by the slow DDR3... that is the main purpose of the eSRAM.

ethomaz said:

Tom3k said:

That's why they've combined it with 32MB of ESRAM.

To avoid the bottleneck generated by the slow DDR3... that is the main purpose of the eSRAM.

Nice try, DDR3 is not slow RAM.