By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to show off 'smaller and denser' Xbox console at next-gen event

Microsoft to show off 'smaller and denser' Xbox console at next-gen event

May 17, 2013 1:14PM PDT
By Eddie Makuch, News Editor

Sources say Microsoft to reveal trimmed down Xbox system with "flattened" controllers at media briefing next week.

During Microsoft's next-generation reveal event next week, the company will show off a "smaller and denser" Xbox console, as well as redesigned controllers. That's according to sources speaking with The Verge, who described the new controller design as "flattened."

The "smaller and denser" Xbox console is reportedly the rumored third generation Xbox 360 console that will be "significantly less expensive" than current models. According to Windows blogger Paul Thurrott, this console is codenamed "Stingray."

Details regarding the form factor of the Xbox 720 have not been divulged.

Unlike the PlayStation 4's DualShock 4 controller, no images of Xbox 720 controllers have leaked of yet.

In addition, The Verge has heard from sources that Microsoft will release an Xbox 360 dashboard update this summer in preparation for the next-generation Xbox. Part of the update will be a refreshed user interface, complete with smaller Live Tiles, similar to those that will be found in theupcoming Windows 8.1 update.

Another purpose of the update, according to the sources, is to ensure Xbox 360 owners can upgrade to the next Xbox and continue to interact with the friends on the past platform using beacons, achievements, and messaging.

The update is also said to kill off the controversial Microsoft Points system, replacing it with gift card and real-world currency alternatives. This was rumored earlier this week.

The site understands that a public beta for the Xbox 360 update will be available in late June or early July before a full release in August.

A Microsoft representative told GameSpot, "We're excited to share more about the new generation of games, TV, and entertainment on May 21, but have nothing further to share at this time."

Microsoft's Xbox 720 event takes place Tuesday, May 21 at 10 a.m. EDT. GameSpot will have full coverage of the event as it happens.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story stated the rumored "smaller and denser" Xbox console was the Xbox 720. GameSpot regrets the error.

Around the Network

The stingray 360 rumor still confuses me. Is it supposed to replace the older 360 or is this going to be more of a 720 peripheral?

like why not just release a newer 360 at a lower price with the disc drive and save the digital on 360 for the 720

Why release this when you want to release a new console soon? Do you not want people to buy the new console?

bobgamez said:
Why release this when you want to release a new console soon? Do you not want people to buy the new console?

I think its more that they are just trying to drop the 360 price. 

bobgamez said:

low end buyers (more casual audience or people with less money) buy the old one and get their cheap old games for it.  Hardcore or more enthusiastic audience buys the new system.  They make money no matter which sells.  Kinda like how Sony could've cut PS3 support off this Summer but is instead releasing LoU, Puppeteer, Beyond, and GT6 before or around PS4 launch.  They make money on those games and they make money selling PS3s.  The people who've had PS3 for 7 years (like me by this Summer) will be ready for next gen and just play on both for awhile.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

I hope MS won't be stupid enough to use up even 10-15 minutes of their conference on a new 360 redesign. Nexbox should be the whole focus of the conference and should be the only console brought up.

A $99 360 could really change the battle for 2nd... I wonder if it will include a dvd drive. If it does, the ps3 may not come in 2nd after all, though it still will take second until the new consoles arrive.

Hopefully they focus more on games and the neXbox then this new 360.. As cool as it will be. I'm also interested in the new controller.

I wonder will this console actually use 32nm chips or will MS copy what Sony did with the super slim and just rearrange the hardware and put it in a smaller case.

If they can really make a small enough 360 to run $99 then the PS3 will look at dropping down to $150 in response. The new slim never got a price cut and $150 is probably the lowest it can go without loss on hardware. I would think Sony wouldn't want it to be more than $50 than 360. I wonder how compact this rumored 360 can be. Wii size?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

ironmanDX said:
A $99 360 could really change the battle for 2nd... I wonder if it will include a dvd drive. If it does, the ps3 may not come in 2nd after all, though it still will take second until the new consoles arrive.

Hopefully they focus more on games and the neXbox then this new 360.. As cool as it will be. I'm also interested in the new controller.

This will be interesting to see what they do before the big boys arrive

I was expecting MS to make a $50 price cut on the 360 this year but i also saw that Sony seemed to strategically save their price cut for the 360 price cut to nullify it. The $50 price cuts usually dont last that long. Sony upped their price to $270 so they will have comfortable room for a $70 price cut to $199.

Now a good strategic move from MS would be to release a slimmer 360 along with a $100 price drop to $99 instead of a $50 cut to $149.99. It would shake things up a bit.

This battle of the strategies will be interesting to watch