By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your thoughts on Square Enix?

The company Square the American arm of the merger Square Enix existed between 1983 to 2003 and made a range of popular series, including the lenendary Final Fantasy VII. Square Enix are now a mediocre company and they have churned out mainly garbage games this generation with the odd good game or two to mix things up. Final Fantasy series was much better in the 4th and 5th and 6th generations. Tom Raider was a better game series in the 5th generation. Square Enix over the last 10 years has been so meh. Recently Square-Enix made a loss for the financial year and is a slap in the face from consumers that their games these days are not as good as they used to be in the past. 

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Kaizar said:
oniyide said:
If someone had told me years ago that my favorite game from SE would be one that they didnt even make, from their aquired western devs (JC2, Eidos) and my 2nd fav being a damn handheld DS game. I would have laughed in that person's face. but here we are. Eidos is doing the only thing worth a damn on consoles and the portable games have been pretty good.

That makes 2 of us. But The Crystal Bearers was good too.

Pod someone had told me back in 2010 that I wouldn't like the PSP and that I wouldn't like the next Home Consoles from Nintendo & PlayStation (Wii & PS3) and that I would like Nintendo Handhelds the most for the next 2 Gens (7th & 8th Gen), then I would have laugh at their face and say that; that will never happen.

Interesting thats when i started to realize something was wrong, it started with Crystal Bearers it looked so good but turned out so MEH, thats just my opinion, i cant think of anything being good coming from their japan studios on the consoles the entire gen. 

I meant to say back in 2005.

Tom3k said:
Kresnik said:
Kaizar said:

Square-Enix is now better then Square-Soft:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles franchise

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Wii U with 80% extra content

Bravely Default 2

Final Fantasy upcoming 3DS games

Stop being silly -_-

This guy always cracks me up with his blind "3DS love". It seems that his grasp with reallity is slipping more and more with each passing day.

It's just the fact that he lists Deus Ex (not yet released); Bravely Default 2 (not yet official announced) and 3DS Final Fantasy titles (of which we've had one rhythm game so far) as reasons why Square-Enix is better than Squaresoft.  It's one of the blindest posts I've seen on here in quite a while.

Kaizar said:

Plus Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles & Bravely Default & Kingdom Hearts 3D & many others are good games.

The Crystal Chronicles games were slightly above average.  I myself complimented Crystal Bearers earlier in this thread, but that's only because it gets a lot of hate for being rubbish.  It wasn't rubbish, it was alright.   But I'd still categorise the majority of Squaresoft's library as much, much better than it.

Same with the original Crystal Chronicles.  It wasn't a bad game, once you've gotten through the hassle of gathering 4 friends with 4 GBA's and 4 link cables.  But it wasn't a good game either.  It was just an average one.  Phantasy Star Online was a more enjoyable local multi-player RPG with a better single-player component, too (in my opinion).

Kingdom Hearts 3D is the joint-worst-reviewed mainline Kingdom Hearts game with 358/2 days.  It's also the worst selling (though it may leg it out over time, we'll see). 

Bravely Default isn't released in the west yet.  At least wait for it to come out over here before you start calling it the messiah.

These few games aren't very good arguments for why Square-Enix are better than Squaresoft other than your argument seeming to be "they make games for NIntendo platforms and I am a big Nintendo fan".

In my view, SquEnix is not the company Square and Enix were on their own. But without them, I think Eidos may have closed.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

really SE??
5m on Tomb raider? -.-'

Kresnik said:
Kaizar said:

Plus Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles & Bravely Default & Kingdom Hearts 3D & many others are good games.

The Crystal Chronicles games were slightly above average.  I myself complimented Crystal Bearers earlier in this thread, but that's only because it gets a lot of hate for being rubbish.  It wasn't rubbish, it was alright.   But I'd still categorise the majority of Squaresoft's library as much, much better than it.

Same with the original Crystal Chronicles.  It wasn't a bad game, once you've gotten through the hassle of gathering 4 friends with 4 GBA's and 4 link cables.  But it wasn't a good game either.  It was just an average one.  Phantasy Star Online was a more enjoyable local multi-player RPG with a better single-player component, too (in my opinion).

Kingdom Hearts 3D is the joint-worst-reviewed mainline Kingdom Hearts game with 358/2 days.  It's also the worst selling (though it may leg it out over time, we'll see). 

Bravely Default isn't released in the west yet.  At least wait for it to come out over here before you start calling it the messiah.

These few games aren't very good arguments for why Square-Enix are better than Squaresoft other than your argument seeming to be "they make games for NIntendo platforms and I am a big Nintendo fan".

I don't care about the platform, I just care about it being worth my time.

Kingdom Hearts 3D is as good as Kingdom Hearts 2 but with more better gameplay mechanics then Birth by Sleep. I guess I would put KH 2 as #1 with KH: DDD as #2 in terms of stories & plots. But KH 3D as #1 in gameplay mechanics.

Lost everything in this generation... they need to back to the roots.

That they should stop with iOs, and bring that FFV remake to handhelds like they said they would.

ethomaz said:
Lost everything in this generation... they need to back to the roots.

I think we are now in the 8th gen.

But I know you are talking about their 7th gen games, and I fully agree.

EDIT:

I think the problem is that the HD consoles was too much development for them to perfect those games like they use to for their home console games, and that the DS cartridges didn't have enough memory for them to make as much of a game world for more bigger storielines as they wanted to.