By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - (Update) The Lack Of Adjustments Are A Little Worrying

@ slowmo

Historically, VGC has shown that MS likes to have more in the supply chain than Sony does. This could be due to American retailers wanting to have more supply (or maybe just larger warehouses) than those found in EU or Japan. Or it could be that VGC was mistaken. Either way, I just gave them both the same amount of supply so that neither had an advantage or disadvantage in that area.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
@ slowmo

Historically, VGC has shown that MS likes to have more in the supply chain than Sony does. This could be due to American retailers wanting to have more supply (or maybe just larger warehouses) than those found in EU or Japan. Or it could be that VGC was mistaken. Either way, I just gave them both the same amount of supply so that neither had an advantage or disadvantage in that area.

and people are saying your biased? thats more than fair. especially since we have no concrete evidence about the supplies of either console.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
thismeintiel said:
@ slowmo

and people are saying your biased? thats more than fair. especially since we have no concrete evidence about the supplies of either console.

Please don't lump me with people saying he was biased, I didn't make any implication, I merely disagreed about one premise of the figures he mentioned. 

@thismeintiel - I would say that historically the figures for the 360 have been undertracked since the end of 2012 when they were never adjusted (sufficiently) in accordance with shipped figures which is why the shipped/sold gap has been higher for longer.  I cannot prove my viewpoint anyway though as I can only argue based on what seems logical rather than against VGC's historical estimates.

@ slowmo

Well, I was going back further than 2012. Kowenicki has a thread where he compares shipped vs sold for the past 1 1/2 - 2 years. That's where I get the historical data from. 360 and PS3 have been undertracked for at least 2 quarters.

I do believe it would have been a lot easier to adjust the 360 sooner, since we do get concrete shipment and NPD numbers for it. Of course, now that we have the full FY shipments from Sony, and can compare it to last year's number, we should be able to get all sales somewhere in the ballpark of reality.

thismeintiel said:
@ slowmo

Well, I was going back further than 2012. Kowenicki has a thread where he compares shipped vs sold for the past 1 1/2 - 2 years. That's where I get the historical data from. 360 and PS3 have been undertracked for at least 2 quarters.

I do believe it would have been a lot easier to adjust the 360 sooner, since we do get concrete shipment and NPD numbers for it. Of course, now that we have the full FY shipments from Sony, and can compare it to last year's number, we should be able to get all sales somewhere in the ballpark of reality.

I think that's the main point and it was probably about time this thread was made given we've all been saying "wait until.." for 2 quarters now.  Hopefully ioi will provide some update.

Around the Network

Personally, I'm quite impressed with the OP, certainly asks questions and the answers should be interesting when they are revealed.

Good thread. Hopefully these things get addressed. Essentially the PS3 has now surpassed the 360 right?

On the flipside I don't think this is a huge deal because the numbers are free, and they are estimates (and most of the time they do a pretty decent job of tracking) so overall I don't think ioi is doing a bad job especially considering that gaming and consoles are becoming more popular in 3rd world countries and those are near impossible to track.

It does kind of suck that ioi seems to have lost his passion/time for this site (he used to be more active and explained things to us more often) but I know he's a busy guy and for the time being it seems he's trying to get Gamewise to it's full potential.

I updated the OP with some of the new numbers. There are still a couple that seem a little off. Namely, the 360 and the PSP.

Why adjust the day before NPD? There will be more adjustments to make with tomorrow's update. May as well have just waited.

3DS up about 35k. lol. Vita adjustment is awesome.

the_dengle said:
Why adjust the day before NPD? There will be more adjustments to make with tomorrow's update. May as well have just waited.

3DS up about 35k. lol. Vita adjustment is awesome.

These numbers only go up until the end of March, so NPD's data for April won't have any impact on the numbers in the OP.