By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tomorrow is Sony's turn of revealing financial results

Is it out yet?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
rocketpig said:

Two hours, I think.

edit: Yep, two hours. God, I love this iPhone. World Clock FTW! 

Me too :)

I freaking love my iPhone, my son also got one and now my wife wants one too... but I need to unlock hers since she travels to Europe all the time.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Rath said:

They have damaged the playstation brand in that if it does not win this generation it will not have such a high build up of hype next generation. The reason the hype was so massive for the PS3 (and truly it was) was because the PS2 had so absolutley dominated the last generation.

Going into a new generation with a console in last place means that you have far less hype, the 'revolution' was expected to be in last place by most analysts and the only way which Nintendo managed to build hype was by changing the control style completely.

Also console wars have never been won by quality over quantity. I think that in almost every generation so far the weakest console has won the race.

Going into a new generation with a console in last place?

This is not guaranteed. If you want to make assumptions about what place (sales wise) each console will come in, that's fine. But to assert that Sony will be going into a new generation in last place at this point is simply foolish. Simply because it aligns with your perspective on the current and the previous console generation does not make it valid.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

rocketpig said:
ultraslick said:

Wow, why don't you tell us what you really think.

Such opinionated hostility.

Damaging a Brand? Get over yourself.

The only temporary damage that has been done is releasing something too expensive for most cheap americans to afford.

People like cheap things because they are cheap. (and for a business to go against this would be crazy, right?)

Wrong.

Sony is Sony, and they will not learn their lesson, because they want to offer the best piece of technology available. Their image, is more solidified than ever. (in that regard, not financially)

Their products have always been more expensive, and now with the PS3, their gaming devision has joined the same line of thought.

They respect the idea of quality over price.

But realize that the same reprocusions do not apply to sony as much as they do to other companies. Because they are sony, they can justify crazy technological advances that cost them money, but adversely give them the advantage of always being the first to the market with a new technology- like the cell.

Regarding OP, I expect a 250 million loss, but lets hope it is a billion, right??

A shareholder of sony stock is somewhat of a maverick of a person i believe. They have the faith that eventually people will recognize quality over price in the long run.

And that is exactly what Sony is in this race for, the long run.

*thunderous applause from the Sony marketing department*

I just like that he calls Americans cheap.  America is like the king of  cconspicuous consumption.  I believe Americans actually spend more money then they earn on average.

America is the exact opposite of cheap.  America just doesn't see the quality in the PS3.  Is america right or wrong? Who knows.  It's got nothing to do with them being cheap though.

And you were all wrong, better luck next time :p

Sony doomsayers am cry?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

This was my reaction in another thread:

"Well, this is very surprising... They cut the prices by 200 €/$100, yet the PS3 loss was dramatically reduced from the previous quarter? I wonder if the inventory write-down was done with the planned price reductions, if that's not the case then I don't have an explanation."

Maybe today's investor conference will shed some light on this (and on how much profit PS2 and PSP gave them, they probably did better than I expected above).

Crow eating is crow eating though, I admit I was wrong (as most people were, I don't think many saw this coming).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I admit I did not think Sony would post a profit.
Very impressive.
We know that Sony still took a huge loss on the PS3 though.

I should rephrase and say that Americans are not cheap, but what I was getting at is their unique tastes in contrast to Europeans

I am an American.

my last post did have a certain PR spin to it didn't it?
You are right the Sony marketing department would be proud.

especially this part:

"the faith that eventually people will recognize quality over price in the long run.

And that is exactly what Sony is in this race for, the long run. "

haha, I apologize- I was rolling.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.