By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next Gen will be Cheaper to Develop for - not more expensive [According to my Source]

Some of you guys asks me now and then if I have more leaks/information/rumors from my source within the industry; and now I finally do! It's not a huge leak, but rather some information of/insight in the industry - about development costs.

According to my source, this gen will see a DECREASE in development costs, and NOT an increase (like Epic has said). And here's why:

1) The new toolsets means dev time will be shorter (making a new engine takes LESS than half the time compared to last gen, and costs LESS than half as well)

2) Platform parity means it'll be easier to port games (the engine only needs base-specific tweaks for each platform)

Apparently the way of thinking is "cheaper costs+faster dev time=more games"! So we're looking at a gen where games costs less to make and is cheaper to make compared to last gen; that must be a first!?

Also, according to my source, he knows about devs that's trying some new creative/crazy ideas/game play mechanics. So I'd say, overall, this coming gen is shaping up to be pretty great!

I was also told that I'd get more information/leaks/rumors after Microsoft's press conference the 21th of May... Soooo... That's exciting :D

Hope you guys liked this insight in the industry!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

According to an article I read on gamasutra, they need more workers. The dev. of the ps4 killzone game said that they had increased from about 130 workers to about 150, as far as I remember. Now I don't see why they would need more workers if it takes shorter time to make engines as you said.

BasilZero said:
Who or what is your source o.o?

I can't tell you thaaat :D someone working in the industry... Just look up my sig and follow the link for more.... goodness?

IsawYoshi said:
According to an article I read on gamasutra, they need more workers. The dev. of the ps4 killzone game said that they had increased from about 130 workers to about 150, as far as I remember. Now I don't see why they would need more workers if it takes shorter time to make engines as you said.

It could be because they wanna churn out games even faster? I don't know actually. I could ask my source what's that is all about, but I'm going away later today, so I might not report back until Friday, so you better remind me then ^^

The example I had above might only apply to his work place, maybe? Dunno...

You and your source again!... cant wait to see if your information is correct at E3 lol..

Around the Network

Source? Aren't you in the modeling industry? Aren't you a model? I could've sworn you created a thread where you were looking to be the Next Top Model, and were posting sexy swedish females you hang out with on a daily basis

This does not align with my in-biz experiences, at least not in the near-term where those that are lucky* enough to score PS4/'Durango' contracts are going on hiring binges.

*Lucky because mid-to-long term dev contracts (2-5 years out) are getting cut left and right by *big* pubs. There's a big story in there, but we don't actually have any journalists covering the game biz, so you won't hear about it until devs are closing left and right, alas.

BluGamer23 said:
You again and your source again!... cant wait to see if your information is correct at E3 lol..

Lol me to! I hope my guy didn't fool me :P I won't be able to ever come back here ^^

PSwii60 said:
Source? Aren't you in the modeling industry? Aren't you a model? I could've sworn you created a thread where you were looking to be the Next Top Model, and were posting sexy swedish females you hang out with on a daily basis

lol that was my "Introduce your country"-thread :P

ECM said:

This does not align with my in-biz experiences, at least not in the near-term where those that are lucky* enough to score PS4/'Durango' contracts are going on hiring binges.

*Lucky because mid-to-long term dev contracts (2-5 years out) are getting cut left and right by *big* pubs. There's a big story in there, but we don't actually have any journalists covering the game biz, so you won't hear about it until devs are closing left and right, alas.

I just asked my source, and according to him, devs are hiring because: cheaper+faster+more devs=even more games! So, games might cost just as much as this last gen, but not because games has gotten more expansive to make, but because devs are hiring to make games even faster. Thinking about it it makes sense. Wouldn't you want to make more games, in less time, to the same costs as this gen?