By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - XBLA Download Limit is... Limiting

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/xbla-download-limit-is-limiting/19250/?biz=

David Sirlin, director for the upcoming Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: HD Remix, has complained that Microsoft's 150MB file size limit has made it difficult to store 1080p graphics and all the music.

Posted by James Brightman on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

At the Game Developers Conference last year, Microsoft announced that it was tripling the file size limit for Xbox Live Arcade games from 50MB to 150MB. Chris Early, product unit manager, said that the new limit "offers developers increased flexibility and continued opportunities for innovative game development." But some developers are finding even 150MB to be somewhat restrictive.

Speaking to Videogamer.com, David Sirlin, director for the upcoming Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: HD Remix noted that the limit imposed by Microsoft is causing a few development problems for developer Backbone. The game is also planned for a release on PSN, and Sony's network does not have size restrictions.

"Yes, it's difficult to store so many 1080p graphics in such a small download size. A lot depends on the specific shading that the final art will have, and how well that shading compresses. It also makes it difficult or impossible to include all the original game's music AND all remixed set of music. We're still doing our best to fit within the limit we've been given," stated Sirlin.

At this point in time, it's not exactly clear just how different (if at all) the XBLA and PSN versions will be, but the fact that the developer has expressed frustration over the file size limit of the XBLA version can't be a good sign for Xbox 360 owners looking to get the "definitive" version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess is time to up that limit heh

Around the Network

This is why you make sure that every system has a hard drive.

I don't know why MS decided to come out with that core... It's going to (and has had) major reprocussions for them.

a limit is limiting?!?! how...obvious.

I'm at a loss as to why people would want to play SF2 in HD. Is it really going to look that much better?

Maybe it's just because i'm a snob who abhores remakes and perfer re-releases.

Why does an arcade game made in the 80/90's need to be in 1080p?

Why not do a more marginal upgrade of graphics/sound vs going ball's deep and loading on everything known to man.

Around the Network

I wonder if ms will increase the limit anytime soon. If they did I would say it would be between 180MB-200MB. Although 250MB maybe more future-proof.

superchunk said:

Why not do a more marginal upgrade of graphics/sound vs going ball's deep and loading on everything known to man.

Because it's Street Fighter "HD REMIX" :P, they don't need to, but it must be easy to increase the resolution of an old school title, just it takes a little space ._.;

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Kasz216 said:
I'm at a loss as to why people would want to play SF2 in HD. Is it really going to look that much better?

Maybe it's just because i'm a snob who abhores remakes and perfer re-releases.

I'm with you there but I do think MS should've raised the size limit to at least the size of a cd (700Mb).

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

superchunk said:

Why shouldn't it be?

So there might be a difference in size and quality between the PSN and Live version? Is there even a download limit on PSN for games? I got Syphon filter 1 the other day, but that one got installed on my PSP so that didn't count. I thought that people got a great network for the money they paid. Not something that kept a lid on things.

An arcade game of the 80/90's needs to be in 1080p because we can and it's not the 80's anymore. Th remake of the ford GT 40 didn't still have the crappy brakes now did it? Things advance.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979