By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA and Disney Announce Star Wars Partnership!

Carl2291 said:
Mr Khan said:

Mainly lack of promotion. Who really knew the game existed? Who, owning a Wii U, would buy it if they had another console where the version was cheaper?

It wasn't as bad as Mass Effect 3, but still clearly past the point where EA was trying.

Lack of promotion is no excuse. Plenty of games get released with no promotion at all and sell hundreds of thousands of units, sometimes millions. It happened on Wii numerous times. It happened on DS. It happened on NIntendo platforms. Its happening daily with new Indie games being released with no marketing budget.

A good game will sell. It will have legs. It doesnt matter what platform it releases on. It doesnt matter if its a late port.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted is a good game. Its fun. The Wii U version is the best version of this good game. The Wii U version hasnt sold 20,000 units in 5 Weeks. What sort of message does that send to EA? Especially when the game on every other platform has sold well.

For comparison. The Vita version of the game sold 24,000 units in 1 Week. 

Lets do another EA comparison, this time with Mass Effect.

Mass Effect 2 released January 2010 on the 360. It sold over 2 Million copies in 2010 according to VGChartz. It was the 2nd game in a story driven franchise. Mass Effect 2 released January 2011 on PS3, without the original game, a Year later than the 360 version. The re-release on PS3 recieved hardly any advertisement, other than the launch trailer, and opened up with sales of 90,000 units. 10 Weeks from release the game had sold over 340,000 units. 

It was a good game. It had legs. By the end of the Year it had sold over 850,000 units. It showed promise and the future games in the series would now be released on PS platforms

Mass Effect 3 released March 2012 on PS3 and 360. It released to great critical acclaim and is considered one of the best games of 2012. The PS3 opening was over 380,000 units and the 360 opening was over 1.3 Million units. That PS3 port of ME2 clearly payed off. Now... Lets look at the Wii U release. It was a launch game for the console releasing ~8 Months after ME3 was originally released.

It sold 16,000 units Week 1 and has sold 51,000 units LTD. For comparison, the PS3 version sold 51,000 units in Week 3 and the 360 version sold 51,000 units in Week 7. Now, I know the WIi U userbase isnt exactly pushing the boat out right now in numbers... But the Wii U software performance as of right now is pathetic. 6.73 Million games have been sold on the console in ~7 Months with Nintendo Land and NSMB U taking up 3.64 Million of that total, way over half.

Developers are seeing no incentive to support the console. Especially EA. FIFA flopped. Madden flopped. Mass Effect flopped and NFS is flopping. Outside of EA the picture isnt exactly pretty. Darksiders has sold relatively poorly. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty and Batman all sold relatively poorly. NBA has sold poorly. NG sold poorly. DQX has sold poorly.

Its not a conspiracy. Its business. The Wii U isnt selling. Games arent selling on the Wii U. Games arent being released on Wii U.

Why don't you ever discuss things with Rol? I would love to see the two of you battling it out ^^

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
superchunk said:

...but that was my point that you quoted and tried to counter. Criterion made a good game that EA gave zero support to. Now they have further arguments to give to their shareholders when the questions arise about not supporting Nintendo.

The only thing I was trying to counter that you're drawing some weird line between Criterion and EA despte the fact that one is fully owned by the other.  NFSMWU was fully funded by EA.  Sure, they didn't advertise it, but making a whole point of that it's "NOT EA" that made the game just seems... well, it seems ridiculous to me.

But, it's kinda sad how much this thread has been derailed by Nintendo v. EA arguments.  Perhaps the next EA thread that gets made I'll have to derail into how shit their Vita support is.  FIFA 12; a roster update of FIFA 12; Madden 12 and a decent version of NFS.  Seems shockingly similar to their Wii-U support, honestly. 

Anyway, since I'm now becoming guilty of fanning the flames of this argument I think I'll bow out with this post.

Well considering this has gone off-track in a big way to become an EA vs Nintendo thread I might as well jump in:

This is still great news, a franchise that's been mistreated for years has finally been giving to an actual game publisher with several game developers.

And hell, EA is probably the best fit for it, smaller publishers simply wouldn't be able to handle it. And other big publisbers like Activision and Ubisoft are just as "bad" as EA with their hands in Microsofts and Sony's pockets respectively.

The fact that EA isn't going to roll over and loose money because Nintendo has again failed to provide a platform that's sustainable to put third party games on doesn't change that. Further more, EA is very far from the only publisher that does it. Wii is a name that's quite simply only profitable for Nintendo.

Publishers are businesses, not your friend. They go where the money is.

AndrewWK said:

What?? Are you serious? I mean your arguments are hilarious. The first Mass Effect game was MS only PC360 that is, and so was the 2nd at first. But then it got ported to the PS3 (not a really good port) and still sold almost 900k in one year. The Wii U got the 3rd part and you could argue that due to the of the predecessors it never had a chance but still it didn´t even sell 100k. 

But this isn´t the only example. What about NFS: MW? What about Batman? Fifa? Call of Duty? Assassin´s Creed? 

Nintedno has created this incestous enviroment where Nintendo customers only purchase their own products. And then they complain why no 3rd wants to work with them anymore. 

EA at two previous E3s (2011 and 2012) stated on stage that they were going all in with Wii U with unprecedented support. (Ubisoft said similar)

PS3 got a late ME2 port. It was heavily advertised. Sold well.
WiiU got a late ME3 port. It was never advertised. It had to compete with a METrilogy compilation on PS360 at the same price point that was actively advertised by EA.

Madden13 and FIFA13 on all other consoles launched on same date with same upgraded features for 2013.
Madden13 and FIFA13 on WiiU launched months later (this is biggest kicker for these types of games) with NONE of the newer 2013 features. In fact that lack of 2013 features is the only "advertising" Wii U variants received.

NFSMW on all other consoels same date with marketing.
NFSMW at least this one matched the content/features of the others. It was a late port. It received zero marketing. It sold accordingly.

Special note. All four of EAs games on WiiU were late ports with ZERO extra content. No other publisher did that with their late ports for WiiUs launch. They all provided free DLC or exclusive features.

EA in early 2013 has blatantly stated (this was even before NFSMW released) that WiiU will not be getting future support from them.

Now lets compare the other publishers/games you listed.

Ubisoft released:
ZombiU - exclusive title really utilizing gampad. Crazy marketing and even special bundle world-wide.
AC3 - nearly identical experience as the more mature consoles. heavily marketed as being on all the platforms, including WiiU.
Just Dance 4 - same game everywhere with same marketing support.
Marvel Avengers - same game everywhere with same marketing support.
Rabbids Land - exclusive with marketing.
yourshape - exclusive with marketing.
Sports connection - exclusive with marketing.

Ubisoft said they had hoped Wii U (the console) would have sold more, but the sales of the games were as expected based on the console's sell through. The only negative to come of this was the obvious timed-exclusive Rayman was delayed to match its Ps360 release. Yet, Wii U still has exclusive features and even a badass online portion for free out now.

Ubisoft 2013 support is strong with same next-gen titles and already same marketing.

How about BatmanAC?

Was a normal late port launch which actually included improvements of the older version (unlike any late ports from EA). Full DLC content along with a few new special features including solid marketing.

WB is obviously happy with WiiU overall as we got Injustice on same day. Sure its lacking DLC at first, but that is obviously tied to other timing issues as they probably were barely able to get the game itself caught up to speed with others. DLC will come later.

Then WB is still having same date and support for all its future games as well.

Activision.
COD is really the same as EAs madden/fifa and other yearly titles. BLOPS2 is great and guess what... there were a few other games already out from Activision as well. They have also stated that they will show plans for Ghosts for "next-gen consoles" at a later time. So anyone thinking that did not include WiiU when BLOPS2 already built that code base... you're delusional.

Additionally, other Activision games with future releases all have WiiU support as well.

So yes, many launch games, including Nintendo ones, did not sell millions yet. But every publisher except EA has strong future support or even publically stated they know its due to Wii U's slower hardware sell through. They are all betting on the next iterations of games to be profitable as Wii U hardware rebounds with the release of plentiful software during 2nd half of year.

Anyone who can look at the stark contrasts between EA and every other publisher and still say its not EA just being a rabid fanboy towards Nintendo... is clearly good at ignoring blatant facts. Now, this does not mean Nintendo didn't break a promise to EA to cause all this... but I think that by 2014 it will be solely EAs loss and they'll return as a result.

superchunk said:
AndrewWK said:

What?? Are you serious? I mean your arguments are hilarious. The first Mass Effect game was MS only PC360 that is, and so was the 2nd at first. But then it got ported to the PS3 (not a really good port) and still sold almost 900k in one year. The Wii U got the 3rd part and you could argue that due to the of the predecessors it never had a chance but still it didn´t even sell 100k. 

But this isn´t the only example. What about NFS: MW? What about Batman? Fifa? Call of Duty? Assassin´s Creed? 

Nintedno has created this incestous enviroment where Nintendo customers only purchase their own products. And then they complain why no 3rd wants to work with them anymore. 

EA at two previous E3s (2011 and 2012) stated on stage that they were going all in with Wii U with unprecedented support. (Ubisoft said similar)

PS3 got a late ME2 port. It was heavily advertised. Sold well.
WiiU got a late ME3 port. It was never advertised. It had to compete with a METrilogy compilation on PS360 at the same price point that was actively advertised by EA.

Madden13 and FIFA13 on all other consoles launched on same date with same upgraded features for 2013.
Madden13 and FIFA13 on WiiU launched months later (this is biggest kicker for these types of games) with NONE of the newer 2013 features. In fact that lack of 2013 features is the only "advertising" Wii U variants received.

NFSMW on all other consoels same date with marketing.
NFSMW at least this one matched the content/features of the others. It was a late port. It received zero marketing. It sold accordingly.

Special note. All four of EAs games on WiiU were late ports with ZERO extra content. No other publisher did that with their late ports for WiiUs launch. They all provided free DLC or exclusive features.

EA in early 2013 has blatantly stated (this was even before NFSMW released) that WiiU will not be getting future support from them.

Now lets compare the other publishers/games you listed.

Ubisoft released:
ZombiU - exclusive title really utilizing gampad. Crazy marketing and even special bundle world-wide.
AC3 - nearly identical experience as the more mature consoles. heavily marketed as being on all the platforms, including WiiU.
Just Dance 4 - same game everywhere with same marketing support.
Marvel Avengers - same game everywhere with same marketing support.
Rabbids Land - exclusive with marketing.
yourshape - exclusive with marketing.
Sports connection - exclusive with marketing.

Ubisoft said they had hoped Wii U (the console) would have sold more, but the sales of the games were as expected based on the console's sell through. The only negative to come of this was the obvious timed-exclusive Rayman was delayed to match its Ps360 release. Yet, Wii U still has exclusive features and even a badass online portion for free out now.

Ubisoft 2013 support is strong with same next-gen titles and already same marketing.

How about BatmanAC?

Was a normal late port launch which actually included improvements of the older version (unlike any late ports from EA). Full DLC content along with a few new special features including solid marketing.

WB is obviously happy with WiiU overall as we got Injustice on same day. Sure its lacking DLC at first, but that is obviously tied to other timing issues as they probably were barely able to get the game itself caught up to speed with others. DLC will come later.

Then WB is still having same date and support for all its future games as well.

Activision.
COD is really the same as EAs madden/fifa and other yearly titles. BLOPS2 is great and guess what... there were a few other games already out from Activision as well. They have also stated that they will show plans for Ghosts for "next-gen consoles" at a later time. So anyone thinking that did not include WiiU when BLOPS2 already built that code base... you're delusional.

Additionally, other Activision games with future releases all have WiiU support as well.

So yes, many launch games, including Nintendo ones, did not sell millions yet. But every publisher except EA has strong future support or even publically stated they know its due to Wii U's slower hardware sell through. They are all betting on the next iterations of games to be profitable as Wii U hardware rebounds with the release of plentiful software during 2nd half of year.

Anyone who can look at the stark contrasts between EA and every other publisher and still say its not EA just being a rabid fanboy towards Nintendo... is clearly good at ignoring blatant facts. Now, this does not mean Nintendo didn't break a promise to EA to cause all this... but I think that by 2014 it will be solely EAs loss and they'll return as a result.

Well all right then. If Ubisoft is so supportive why did they delay Rayman Legends for 6 months to make it multiplat. Why not just release it as exclusive give those other consoles a late port? 

And you shold not forget EA tried to bring some of their franchises to the Wii back in the day, just like Sega and Ubistoft. But most of them failed. And yes Ubisoft was/is supportive, but when the next generation of consoles arrive the will have to cut Nintendo out for the most part eventually. 

And what about Bethesda, Square Enix and Take Two? None of their major releases got Wii U ports. No Bioshock, Dishonored (which could have utilized the Upad really good) Tomb Raider, GTA V etc. for the Wii U. I mean why does no Nintendo "fan" bitches about them? 

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:

Well all right then. If Ubisoft is so supportive why did they delay Rayman Legends for 6 months to make it multiplat. Why not just release it as exclusive give those other consoles a late port? 

And you shold not forget EA tried to bring some of their franchises to the Wii back in the day, just like Sega and Ubistoft. But most of them failed. And yes Ubisoft was/is supportive, but when the next generation of consoles arrive the will have to cut Nintendo out for the most part eventually. 

And what about Bethesda, Square Enix and Take Two? None of their major releases got Wii U ports. No Bioshock, Dishonored (which could have utilized the Upad really good) Tomb Raider, GTA V etc. for the Wii U. I mean why does no Nintendo "fan" bitches about them? 

Ubisoft stated that Wii U console sales... not their games... were lower than they hoped. Simple business. However, they did put out a really awesome fully maintained online game that even includes daily and weekly challenges. That's a lot of effort and support that is exclusive to Wii U.

Your 2nd para is speculation at best.

Your 3rd para mentions games that were already planned/paid for well before Wii U dev kits and are not coming to any next-gen consoles. We don't bitch about those games that are not coming because we largely realize that they were way to far in development as well as they as a company have not stated Wii U is blacklisted. They will add support for future titles, I'm sure of that. Hell, there are rumors that WiiU will get GTAV. Don't know why people keep bringing up games that are not even coming to PS4/nXbox either. Can't just add new platforms big ass dev cycles for the hell of it.

Maybe a new Knights of the Old Republic done by Bioware is in order?

Either way good news. I expect a quality title out of this.