By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DS described as "flop"

I did not know you went to school with leo-j...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
mrjuju said:
I'm sorry Desroko, but if you (not "you" per say but the hypothetical "you" doing the speaking) are incapable of stringing together a simple train of thought without falling into quasi-unintelligible slang (and that is what Ebonics is, let no one tell you otherwise), then you should expect to have their thoughts subject to mockery in the public forum. It has nothing to do with who you are or what you say; and believe me, I have met some highly intelligent people who, when they open their mouths, make English cry; but when in a proper discussion, it is best to lead with your best verbal foot forward, if only to let the listener know that you mean what you say, and you have the intelligence to back it up.
Amongst friends is one thing, but for someone to talk like that in an educational setting (i.e. a college) is shameful and, to my mind at least, borderline hypocritical.
Just my two cents (and to be fair, I am a writer, so I am more than a little biased).

Yes, that's what I'm saying as well. Superchunk seems to be implying that intelligence and verbal/linguistic ability are inseparable, and I'm certain that's not true.

Or even better response

"The only thing that was flopping was me on your mother last night. Boy, were we sure flopping!"

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

wiiforever said:
no matter what, PS3 simply can't be as profitable as DS. DS = high sales + low production costs
PS3 = low sales + high prod costs

The DS came out in what, 2004? So, Sony has only had 1 year to refine, and cut costs of the PS3, while Nintendo over 3 years. Also, software is more profitable on a console than a handheld.

Also, as a side note, the 66 million DS's sold dont represent all those on the streets so to speak. With ever new version alot of people will just trade up and ditch the older version, add into that how easy it is to break a handheld device, I wouldnt be surprised if some people have gone through 3 or 4 DS's. So just remember, that 66mil sale number, does not mean there are 66 million people with DS's.

And you know, Sony doesn't just strive for profit like Nintendo, Sony likes to push the bar, the PSP, an extrordinary device when it launched, and it still is, lots of features, multiple uses. The DS..... Not so much. Same with the PS3, pushing the bar again, alot of features, many many uses. The Wii..... Not so much, its essentially a gamecube with motion sensing.

Username2324 said:
highwaystar101 said:

*edit* you guys know I love the PS3 and DS, but lets face it the PS3 may never be as profitable as the DS

Well one's a handheld and the other a powerhouse, one has old technology, the other a evolutionary processor, but, as Sony continues to reduce costs, we could see the PS3 become very profitable.

The cell isn't so revolutionary. It has already been done before (in a much more different manner, of course).

Around the Network
Username2324 said:
wiiforever said:
no matter what, PS3 simply can't be as profitable as DS. DS = high sales + low production costs

The DS came out in what, 2004? So, Sony has only had 1 year to refine, and cut costs of the PS3, while Nintendo over 3 years. Also, software is more profitable on a console than a handheld. Not necessarily true, and in any case, the DS sells far more software in both absolute and relative terms.

Also, as a side note, the 66 million DS's sold dont represent all those on the streets so to speak. With ever new version alot of people will just trade up and ditch the older version, add into that how easy it is to break a handheld device, I wouldnt be surprised if some people have gone through 3 or 4 DS's. So just remember, that 66mil sale number, does not mean there are 66 million people with DS's. It does mean that there are 66 million DSs sold, however, which is the point. This is irrelevant to the question of profitability.

And you know, Sony doesn't just strive for profit like Nintendo, Sony likes to push the bar, the PSP, an extrordinary device when it launched, and it still is, lots of features, multiple uses. The DS..... Not so much. Same with the PS3, pushing the bar again, alot of features, many many uses. The Wii..... Not so much, its essentially a gamecube with motion sensing. LOL

thetonestarr said:
Book smarts =/= intelligence.

That's all.

I agree the state I live in declared me a genius but I'm retarded at times and have little to no common sense..

I'd like to throw out there that in one sense he's right the PS3 is fairly "profitable" in that when they sell them they get a good ammount of cash, unfortunatly net profit and total profit are two different things. The PS3's net profit is very high but after factoring cost of everything to produce and research fees it's total profit is in the red. 

Username2324 said:
wiiforever said:

The DS came out in what, 2004? So, Sony has only had 1 year to refine, and cut costs of the PS3, while Nintendo over 3 years. Also, software is more profitable on a console than a handheld.

Also, as a side note, the 66 million DS's sold dont represent all those on the streets so to speak. With ever new version alot of people will just trade up and ditch the older version, add into that how easy it is to break a handheld device, I wouldnt be surprised if some people have gone through 3 or 4 DS's. So just remember, that 66mil sale number, does not mean there are 66 million people with DS's.

And you know, Sony doesn't just strive for profit like Nintendo, Sony likes to push the bar, the PSP, an extrordinary device when it launched, and it still is, lots of features, multiple uses. The DS..... Not so much. Same with the PS3, pushing the bar again, alot of features, many many uses. The Wii..... Not so much, its essentially a gamecube with motion sensing.

Sony fan?, I say yes, DS is only the console more sellers in this generation and have 5 games with sales of 10+ millions

Username2324 said:
wiiforever said:

Very biased and fanboyish comment from ur side, since nintendo has seen one of the best years if we are talking about profit, while sony's PS3 has seen by far one of the worst years, btw people own multiple DS's cause there are more than 1 person per house normally, each person owns one, and where did you get that console games are more profitable than handheld ones?

Think.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Username2324 said:
wiiforever said:

You say all that knowing that DS games can be made with a few hundred thousand in a few months compared to several millions with larger teams over more time yes? Console games theoretically are less profitable because their price is only 50-60$ compared to 20-40$ and even then console games will eventually drop to 20-30$ anyway which is when most people tend to buy them. Console games have a higher sticker price but a much larger threashold to make profit as well as taking bigger teams and more time to creat. They can make more money or lose a whole lot more..