By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Says Wii Owners Can 'Graduate' to Xbox 360

MikeB said:
@ ZenfoldorVGI

AFAIK the DS only sells about 12% faster than the GBA did

very nice spin!

u make it seem like it's barely doing better than its predecessor by omitting the fact that gba had no competition and ds does...doing 12% better than a monopoly is AMAZINGLY good, especially considering ds is supply constrained, which lowers its sales rate

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network
MikeB said:
I think both the PS2 and Wii play an important role in this market. I predicted the Wii would perform much better than the GameCube performed at a time when everyone spelled its doom, the same for the PS2 if you believed many posters the platform would have been totally dead right now.

I don't think many younger kids will own more than 1 platform at a time and this is the market segment where the PS2 and Wii really thrives, I don't expect their parents to run out and buy them a 360 anytime soon. Also IMO a console aimed at kids should be very sturdy and not die or scratch disc if you don't take excellent care.

the average age of Wii owners is 29!  that is much higher than average age of ps360 owner

wii is not a 'kiddie' console nor is it 'aimed at kids'...it is aimed at adults and people of all ages

ps360 are aimed at teenagers that still think 'mature' means blood and guts and sex and violence

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

omg......come on, the difference is already 4 million, xbox360 is doing bad!!!

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

A significant percentage of core gamers will by a HD console and eventually pick up a wii as well.
An overwhelming percentage of casual gamers will buy a wii and nothing else.
HD consoles lose.

I bought my 360 first. After finding my wii i've hardly touched my 360. I'll consider a ps3 (for ratchet and LBP) when the price of blu-ray media drops to below $20 a disc otherwise i'll stick with upconverted dvd.

My parents are looking for a wii. They won't even consider a ps3 or 360.

Fastrabbit09 said:
MikeB said:
@ ZenfoldorVGI

AFAIK the DS only sells about 12% faster than the GBA did

very nice spin!

u make it seem like it's barely doing better than its predecessor by omitting the fact that gba had no competition and ds does...doing 12% better than a monopoly is AMAZINGLY good, especially considering ds is supply constrained, which lowers its sales rate

AFAIK, it was never expected Gameboy fans would suddenly dump their systems for a PSP. The NDS is even GBA backwards compatible.

I think the PSP has mainly expanded the handheld gaming market, rather than competing directly for former Gameboy users. 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Y'know what this basically comes down to?

Microsoft and Sony are selling Motorcycles. Nintendo is selling a Car.

Microsoft and Sony are looking at this going "Oh, well, yeah, it's obviously easier to steer, and you're safer, and you don't have to worry about the weather, and you only need to wear a seatbealt instead of a helmet and a Kevlar jacket and pants and boots, but we're obviously the cooler choice, so we're what people will go to once they get bored with their car."

And sure, there might be a few people who do get tired of driving their car and want something more "exciting" but it doesn't seem to occur to them just how small of a percentage it is that are willing to give up all the conveniences of a car in order to drive a motorcycle.

Sure, motorcycles are cooler than cars. I'd love to get one myself, but it wouldn't be my main vehicle of transport and I'm saying this as a casual gamer. There are plenty of people out there who just getting a car is a big deal, and they'd never even consider getting a motorcycle.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

everyone say what you want about the ps3 yes its in last place now but it sold more consoles in its 1st year the 360 plus it was 200 dollars more. if the ps3 was 250 bucks i dont see the wii being as hot as it is. price drops and time will tell, ps3 will be at least in second if not 1st.

Fastrabbit09 said:
MikeB said:
I think both the PS2 and Wii play an important role in this market. I predicted the Wii would perform much better than the GameCube performed at a time when everyone spelled its doom, the same for the PS2 if you believed many posters the platform would have been totally dead right now.

I don't think many younger kids will own more than 1 platform at a time and this is the market segment where the PS2 and Wii really thrives, I don't expect their parents to run out and buy them a 360 anytime soon. Also IMO a console aimed at kids should be very sturdy and not die or scratch disc if you don't take excellent care.

the average age of Wii owners is 29! that is much higher than average age of ps360 owner

wii is not a 'kiddie' console nor is it 'aimed at kids'...it is aimed at adults and people of all ages

ps360 are aimed at teenagers that still think 'mature' means blood and guts and sex and violence

A few grandparents may drag up the average age, but the Wii is certainly most popular amongst younger kids.

Personally I love movie like acting and deep story telling combined with amazing music quality, I do think a game like Gears of War appeals more to many teenagers, but for example Uncharted is more like a Indiana Jones movie kind of game.

Cartoon like games like we see mostly on the Wii appeals to all ages, but the PS3 mostly appeals and sells to adults, according to US research 70% of PS3 owners own a HDTV and has the largest penetration of high def audio setups as well. I think it's unlikely to assume kids have a HDTV and kickass audio setup in their bedrooms.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

Jeff Bell, VP of global Xbox marketing: "We're positioning ourselves to be ready if, in fact, gamers find they're ready to graduate from a certain experience potentially with the Wii, either because it's limited on the type of gameplay that's available or the technology in that box"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141996-c,gameconsoles/article.html

Although I agree there is little overlap between Wii and other consoles with regard to features and software library, and most performance demanding games are better played on more powerful systems, I wouldn't have used the word "graduate" in this regard. 

Is the word "Graduate" really the problem here? or are you just upset that Sony hadn't made this annoucement before MS?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

MikeB said:
Fastrabbit09 said:
MikeB said:

the average age of Wii owners is 29! that is much higher than average age of ps360 owner

A few grandparents may drag up the average age, but the Wii is certainly most popular amongst younger kids.

Personally I love movie like acting and deep story telling combined with amazing music quality, I do think a game like Gears of War appeals more to many teenagers, but for example Uncharted is more like a Indiana Jones movie kind of game.

Cartoon like games like we see mostly on the Wii appeals to all ages, but the PS3 mostly appeals and sells to adults, according to US research 70% of PS3 owners own a HDTV and has the largest penetration of high def audio setups as well. I think it's unlikely to assume kids have a HDTV and kickass audio setup in their bedroom.

No, but their parents might in the living room...

You do realize you're doing the  "NINTENDO R 4 KIDDIEZ!@!!!LOL" thing, right?  And that's a tired, obnoxious old argument that ate itself years ago?  Teenagers tend to be the ones more concerned with appearing cool, and they're the ones who end up buying games for big explosions.

-also, "deep storytelling" in games is laughable.  You just implied that Indiana Jones had deep storytelling...