By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Says Wii Owners Can 'Graduate' to Xbox 360

Auron said:
MS should drop out of the console race and stick to making software for the PC.

Your exactly right.  At a time when they have just made half a billion dollars profit of games in the last six months, Microsoft should quit the console business.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

I suppose that means 360ers can graduate to the PS3?

Auron said:
MS should drop out of the console race and stick to making software for the PC.

Vista sure could use the extra people.

MikeB said:
@ bdbdbd

IMO kids and females are much better represented amongst the Wii userbase, than amongst the 360 and especially the PS3 userbase. This has a lot to do with entry price, Nintendo's kid friendly / orientated image and the type of games currently available.

I applaud this, I love the fact more females get into gaming and Nintendo publishes many games parents would find themselves conformtable with for their kids to play. I don't think neither the 360 or PS3 at this point serves these consumers well enough, only the PS2 seems like a good alternative at this point.

more represented but that doesn't mean that male gamers are any less represented. Consoles arn't 1 to 1 machines. Nintendo's own internal data suggested that the each wii has a much larger userbase indivdually.

For example, lets say I own a Wii, a PS3 and a 360 and i live with 3 other people. Two guys and a girl.

The other guy plays all three. One girl plays 360 and Wii, and the other girl just plays the Wii.

Girls are more represented on the Wii in this case... however guys arn't any less represented.

In the same case. Say the 4 of us are living togehter and are a family. The father wants the PS3 the most but has interest in both other systems, the son is the same, the Mom only wants a wii, and the daughter wants a 360 or wii. Even if the Wii is likely the father and son's lowest choice, if they are only going to buy one system... the Wii is likely to be that system.

This is just ignoreing the flaws in the studies you've prosed. For example the natural bias that you've yet to rebut that more people who were asked this question likely already owned Wii's or 360s.

Or here is another one for you. The PS3 costs more. I mean, if I had the choice to get a free Wii or PS3 i'd take the free PS3 just because it saves me 600 dollars instead of 250. That's why expensive items are always at the top of these lists, not because they need these items most or even want them most, but because they know they woudl like them and are less likely to spend money on them themselves.

There are even other ways it's flawed to draw the conclusions you are trying to draw.

Kasz216 said:
MikeB said:
@ bdbdbd

IMO kids and females are much better represented amongst the Wii userbase, than amongst the 360 and especially the PS3 userbase. This has a lot to do with entry price, Nintendo's kid friendly / orientated image and the type of games currently available.

I applaud this, I love the fact more females get into gaming and Nintendo publishes many games parents would find themselves conformtable with for their kids to play. I don't think neither the 360 or PS3 at this point serves these consumers well enough, only the PS2 seems like a good alternative at this point.

more represented but that doesn't mean that male gamers are any less represented. Consoles arn't 1 to 1 machines. Nintendo's own internal data suggested that the each wii has a much larger userbase indivdually.

For example, lets say I own a Wii, a PS3 and a 360 and i live with 3 other people. Two guys and a girl.

The other guy plays all three. One girl plays 360 and Wii, and the other girl just plays the Wii.

Girls are more represented on the Wii in this case... however guys arn't any less represented.

In the same case. Say the 4 of us are living togehter and are a family. The father wants the PS3 the most but has interest in both other systems, the son is the same, the Mom only wants a wii, and the daughter wants a 360 or wii. Even if the Wii is likely the father and son's lowest choice, if they are only going to buy one system... the Wii is likely to be that system.

This is just ignoreing the flaws in the studies you've prosed. For example the natural bias that you've yet to rebut that more people who were asked this question likely already owned Wii's or 360s.

Or here is another one for you. The PS3 costs more. I mean, if I had the choice to get a free Wii or PS3 i'd take the free PS3 just because it saves me 600 dollars instead of 360. That's why expensive items are always at the top of these lists, not because they need these items most or even want them most, but because they know they woudl like them and are less likely to spend money on them themselves.

There are even other ways it's flawed to draw the conclusions you are trying to draw.

I was going to type a long post about the weaknesses of surveys as research tools, but i see there is no need. I agree with EVERYTHING he said.

Around the Network

*microsoft sees sky high sales figures for Wii hardware (fan/install base)

*Begins to consider how to gain/steal those clients

*Makes themselves believe Wii owners should graduate to the 360

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

@ Kasz216

that's why expensive items are always at the top of these lists

I don't think that's really the case, most often if the price drops products go higher on people wishlists, we saw this with regard to price drops of HDTV, high definition players, cellphones amongst kids, etc. If this was true many would list a Ferrari or hyper modern Speedboat on their lists.

So if the Wii goes up to costing 400 dollar and the PS3 would go down to 250 dollar, you think the Wii will go up on people's wishlists and the PS3 becomes less popular?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ Kasz216

that's why expensive items are always at the top of these lists

I don't think that's really the case, most often if the price drops products go higher on people wishlists, we saw this with regard to price drops of HDTV, high definition players, cellphones amongst kids, etc. If this was true many would list a Ferrari or hyper modern Speedboat on their lists.

So if the Wii goes up to costing 400 dollar and the PS3 would go down to 250 dollar, you think the Wii will go up on people's wishlists and the PS3 becomes less popular?

On a list of "What would you want if you could get it for free?" Hell yeah.

On what people would actually get as gifts or even buy themselves, nope.

HD TVs are a bad choice by the way, as HD TVs were way to expensive for anyone to conceive them getting for a gift.

For example if asked which cellphone people wanted the most. No doubt the Iphone would be high on that list.

Given the choice between the Iphone and the Goldvish... i'm guessing most people would take the Goldvish.

A PS3 seems like a conceivable gift, and is near the top as far as conceviable gifts go. So of course it will be higher.

@ Kasz216

Others may think what they wish to believe, but I stick with my opinion the PS3 receives relatively far more playtime amongst its userbase by adults than the Wii does and less playtime by young kids.

Something just doesn't compute with me if I would assume adult men are playing Wii Sports or Mario Galaxy en masse and are dying to get their hands on Super Smash Bros Brawl. And preteen boys and girls are playing Oblivion, Resistance, Uncharted, Call of Duty 4, etc en masse locked up in their bedrooms playing on their HDTVs and 7.1 surround sound audio setups after coming home from school...

I refuse the idea of having my ass handed to me by preteens when playing Motorstorm, Resistance or Warhawk online. Come on, I helped my kid sister play through Tomb Raider and even not so hard games like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. I completed Motorstorm while I read about many people whining about how impossible this game gets and I am amongst the top 0.1% Super Stardust HD players (So I like to believe I don't suck at games), I refuse to believe well over 100k preteens are using their credit cards to play this SSHD en masse or even know about its existance...

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ Kasz216

Others may think what they wish to believe, but I stick with my opinion the PS3 receives relatively far more playtime amongst its userbase by adults than the Wii does and less playtime by young kids.

Something just doesn't compute with me if I would assume adult men are playing Wii Sports or Mario Galaxy en masse and are dying to get their hands on Super Smash Bros Brawl. And preteen boys and girls are playing Oblivion, Resistance, Uncharted, Call of Duty 4, etc en masse locked up in their bedrooms playing on the HDTVs and 7.1 surround sound audio setups coming home from school...

I refuse the idea of having my ass handed to me by preteens when playing Motorstorm, Resistance or Warhawk online. Come on, I helped my kid sister play through Tomb Raider and even a not so hard games like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. I completed Motorstorm while I read about many people whining about how impossible this game gets and I am amongst the top 0.1% Super Stardust HD players (So I like to believe I don't suck at games), I refuse to believe well over 100k preteens are using their credit cards en masse to play this game or even know about its existance...

Relativly is an interesting word. I would agree that a higher percentage of males in the "prime demographic" play PS3.

However i would disagree that the PS3 gets more hours of playtime by adult's in said "prime demographic".

Kids may get the Wii more to play, however that doesn't mean that more Men of the "prime demographic" have the PS3. That's a logical fallacy.

I also disagree that many children around 10-16 wouldn't want a PS3, they just don't expect to get one because of it's price or some other reason. I know my cousin would like a PS3 (like 15-20 year difference between my father and his believe it or not) but his mom refuses to buy it. She doesn't even care how cheap it gets... she really hates it for some reason. (kid has a PSP though)

She won't even let him play the 360 either.

You also haven't found anyway to discount the fact that many of the people surveyed already likely had a Wii or 360. Or that if someone would be interested in two consoles yet it wasn't economically viable for them to buy both they would go with the more expensive one if they could get a gift.

I think what you fail to understand is that adult men in that core group are playing Wii Sports and Mario Glaxay en masse and dying to get their hands on Brawl just the same as with the PS3. That and you should consider fact that one console can actually be played by more then one member or person in a family or living place.

I mean even if half the Wii's in the world were bought for kids it wouldn't gurantee that it wasn't being used by more adults in the core demographic then the PS3. In fact it would seem likely to be the opposite.

In otherwords, none of the points you try to make from the survey don't hold up.