By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The cold truth: PS Vita sold less in one year than the PSP in 1 month

I don't think its their last portable. Sony keeps trying to continue making new products hoping they sell well. For example, their TV division has made gigantic losses but they continue to keep producing new TV's and never give up even after years of loses.
I guess they just like to continue making products of the same brand like walkman, Bravia, VAIO.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

I would have got one for my son had the memory cards not been a laughably bad overpriced joke. Then the games he'd wanted (Ass Creed, CoD) turned out to be terrible so waiting turned out to be a wise decision.

Sales seem really abysmal. I'm hoping for a hefty price cut soon.

veritaz said:
I still enjoy my vita, it's an amazing handheld and no amount of someone saying BUT THE SALES ARE BAD is gonna change how good of a device it is.

It sucks that this site is about sales then, right?

OT: This isn't really a cold truth. This is well known. No matter the amount of "makeup" people try to put on this problem, they still know how bad it truely is. Sony needs to do something. 

It has no gamez isnt true by any means.

It has many games only problem is that many of them are only ports and some niche games which only appeal to a small audience ( like me for example).

It has to less western games to please the western audience and i dont see a constant game flooding.

In japan were it does best now they only have one game in April ( Photokano Kiss) and oine game in Mai ( Valhalla Nights 3). You cant seriously expect the vita to sell well ( even with price cut) with only tow niche games in 2 months.

All the vita need is a worldwide price cut beginning in September with constant game flooding and some heavy hitters like a new Uncharted and God of War. That would be enough. Games and the price sell the dev ice. I really hope that Sony has something big for E3, Gamescom and Tokio Game show planned.

Still waiting for more games that appeal to me. It is a great piece of hardware just letdown by its library. I'll buy it if i have extra money lying around

Around the Network
RazorDragon said:
Price cut and a steady release of games happened in Japan at the same time, it got $200 bundle with Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed in NA and Europe and it still didn't worked. Vita is already in the market for more than 1 year and it hasn't caught on. I don't believe the system can recover from that, it simply doesn't have the appeal otherwise the situation would have changed with the price cuts and game releases like it happened with the 3DS.

That's a somewhat unfair comparison. The 3ds got a huge, permanent price cut early on. Psvita got some good bundles on Black Friday but they weren't permament. Of course they didn't do wonders, as it wasn't a hot item any more. I firmly believe that had it received a price cut ealrly one, it would have had some momentum and would be looking much better than now (speculation, I know). The major difference here is that Niny has tons of money in the bank and thus managed to save 3ds, while sony needs to keep selling building to avoid bankruptcy. 

Hopefully vita picks up

naruball said:
RazorDragon said:
Price cut and a steady release of games happened in Japan at the same time, it got $200 bundle with Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed in NA and Europe and it still didn't worked. Vita is already in the market for more than 1 year and it hasn't caught on. I don't believe the system can recover from that, it simply doesn't have the appeal otherwise the situation would have changed with the price cuts and game releases like it happened with the 3DS.

That's a somewhat unfair comparison. The 3ds got a huge, permanent price cut early on. Psvita got some good bundles on Black Friday but they weren't permament. Of course they didn't do wonders, as it wasn't a hot item any more. I firmly believe that had it received a price cut ealrly one, it would have had some momentum and would be looking much better than now (speculation, I know). The major difference here is that Niny has tons of money in the bank and thus managed to save 3ds, while sony needs to keep selling building to avoid bankruptcy. 

Mainstream gamers usually don't come to news sites to know if prices lowered permanently or not, so I don't believe that this is what affected Vita's sales when bundles were available. Vita's price cut was also huge: the system itself came costing $50 less with a included $50 game. Also, about the price cut early on, I absolutely agree with you that it would've helped Vita much more than doing it now, but Sony didn't make a well thought decision to release such a powerful handheld at such a low price. Vita has a goddamn 5" OLED screen, that alone shows us they absolutely couldn't lower the price of the handheld or they would have major losses. They probably were/are losing a lot of money making the Vita sell for $250, that's why the Memory Cards are required to run games and priced so high, to cover up the costs of the handheld.

December isn't exactly just any random month lmfao. Unfair comparison IMO.

RazorDragon said:
naruball said:
RazorDragon said:

Mainstream gamers usually don't come to news sites to know if prices lowered permanently or not, so I don't believe that this is what affected Vita's sales when bundles were available. Vita's price cut was also huge: the system itself came costing $50 less with a included $50 game. Also, about the price cut early on, I absolutely agree with you that it would've helped Vita much more than doing it now, but Sony didn't make a well thought decision to release such a powerful handheld at such a low price. Vita has a goddamn 5" OLED screen, that alone shows us they absolutely couldn't lower the price of the handheld or they would have major losses. They probably were/are losing a lot of money making the Vita sell for $250, that's why the Memory Cards are required to run games and priced so high, to cover up the costs of the handheld.

Vita isn't exactly state of the art technology. Its a powerful handheld, sure, but its not giving Sony major losses.  Accoring to this article http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2011/06/09/playstation-vita-will-be-profitable-on-day-one/ Vita was profitable from Day 1. Games are what Vita really needs though. That's what's really hurting it.