By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox Live adds 6 Million members in a single Year, is the hate unjustified?

Does Xbox Live deserve the criticism it gets in the forums?

Yes Xbox Live is a rip off 221 45.19%

No Xbox Live is the best ... 208 42.54%

No opinion / don't care 60 12.27%

Total:489
Griffin said:
Carl2291 said:
VGKing said:
Yes the "hate" is definitely justified. Microsoft led the way this gen with their online services and it looks like they are being left behind. Their online strategy is definitely anti-consumer. If I buy a $60 Call of Duty game, I expect to be able to play everything on the disc without any additional costs. These aren't unfair demands, we're not being greedy. There are plenty of free online services that match and even surpass XBL in some areas.

Call of Duty is a poor example if you plan on being anti-Xbox, considering how well the games actually sell on Xbox.

Call of Duty games sell more on the system where you have to play for online, rather than the system where the online is free. Why is this? Why does the consumer choose the 360 over the PS3 for Call of Duty? Why has this always been the case?

Actually. Online gaming. Its a well known fact that online gaming is far, far more popular on the 360. Why? If the online strategy is so anti-consumer, then why does the consumer flock to the service?

When i was checking online CoD players, the PS3 always had more online at the given time i was checking.  So if cod sells more on the 360 but more online players on the ps3, this would seem to indicate that the 360 cod players are not willing to pay to play online.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
Mr Puggsly said:
hinch said:

I just wish people opened their eyes and looked before parting ways with their cash.

Is how people spend $60 a year really an issue? Is that anyone's biggest expense?

You should open your eyes and realize $60 a year to do online gaming on a prefered platform is not a big deal.

It's $39.99 for this guy. Never payed more than that. And that's $3.33 for 12 months.

How many stupid dlcs people buy a month? Pre-order games that are not even worth $30 for $60?

People that do not have Xbox 360 are more angry about Live than those who are enjoying it and finding reasons to comeback for more.

Ditto, I never paid more than about $40 because I never had to.

People waste money all the time on entertainment expenses. But they piss and moan at us for spending a little on a whole year of Live.

They don't care its a cheap expense. They hate it for not being free. God damn commies.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

realy?

most of your posts in this site are whining about ps fans and ps related stuff , look your comments here, complaining and whinning again.

just check your last 20 posts and say how many off them are not complaining?

I'm not sure how to do that, but you go do it for me. Thank you!

Recently Completed

I pay my money for the shit and I get what I pay for - a great service.

Talking about whining and hating do people visit that snake pit called NAG, I mean N4G?

My God I had to delete my records and scan my computer with 3 different anti-virus.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Steam is free and a great service and it manages it in an open environment where it has direct competition on the selling stuff side. Also, I've never seen an ad on Steam. XBL, on the other hand... Well, let's just say that I don't undestand at all how some think having to pay for XBL is acceptable when all other similar services do it for free

Steam is free and great... but PC gaming is a pain in the ass for most people.

Lets remember not all similar services offer the same content either.

Recently Completed

You won't find a better, more unified and easy to use online service anywhere, even on PC.

But there's no right or wrong answer as to whether or not its justified. You can believe its worth pennies a day or you can believe otherwise. One is no more right than the other. I always get a laugh out of these threads though. It's wrong to pay for Live because Steam does everything Live does, only free. Yet Steam also does everything PS+ does, also free.. yet PS+ can still be a good value and Live cannot. The only thing about the hate that I notice is the most vocal people spreading it are people who don't own a 360 and are pretty ignorant in regards to Live.

I mean people in here are actually calling it "anti consumer" LOL. MS invested BILLIONS into this service and the perks for using it are great. If you're heavy into online games, the service is fantastic. If you aren't and paying is a big deal.. don't buy an Xbox?

J_Allard said:
You won't find a better, more unified and easy to use online service anywhere, even on PC.

But there's no right or wrong answer as to whether or not its justified. You can believe its worth pennies a day or you can believe otherwise. One is no more right than the other. I always get a laugh out of these threads though. It's wrong to pay for Live because Steam does everything Live does, only free. Yet Steam also does everything PS+ does, also free.. yet PS+ can still be a good value and Live cannot. The only thing about the hate that I notice is the most vocal people spreading it are people who don't own a 360 and are pretty ignorant in regards to Live.

I mean people in here are actually calling it "anti consumer" LOL. MS invested BILLIONS into this service and the perks for using it are great. If you're heavy into online games, the service is fantastic. If you aren't and paying is a big deal.. don't buy an Xbox?

I agree.  I also don't understand why many people say PSN now does everything Live does.  PSN is better than it was 3 years ago but IMO is still a long way behind Live in terms of features, speed, and apps

hinch said:

That doesn't change the fact that they could offer it for free, but don't. What have they invested in really? The Dash? Metro? More space for ads (jk) But seriously, MS must be making a fortune off Live and what do they do with it.. add more and more services that I don't want or need that has to be accessed through Gold (great). A lot of apps on PC had those features long before Xbox Live - Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Xfire, Steam etc. Hell, even Skype.. which (ironically) is now owned by MS is free.

Its the basic principle, they get you to invest time and money into their service and tie you to it. Your friends will do the same and will have to deal with paying a small sum of money to talk/play with each other. To access your apps - Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Love Film, Netflix you'll have to pay to access them.

And now some of their competitors ofer similar services (for free), I just don't see Live as anything more than a cash grab. But hey, if you're happy with it I'm cool with that.. this is just me just giving my 2 pence. :)

You're welcome to your opinion on Live, at least your not one of the blind hatred crowd.  I started gaming on my 360 in 2006, since then some of the features I've seen added are:

Party Chat

3 Different dashboard revisions (each a huge improvement imo)

Addition of numerous non gaming apps (I use Sky Player and Netflix frequently)

Ability to install games on HDD resulting in quicker load times/quieter gaming

They've improved the reliability of the Live service, in particular most titles matchmaking is so much quicker than ever before

There are many, many other features they added (for free) which they could only have done through investing billions into R&D for the console.

On the subject of getting the features for free on PC, that my friend is easy to say now that you have Steam copying all the features of Live.  When the 360 came out that wasn't the case, sure you could use a seperate application like Teamspeak but it was hardly idiot proof to setup when you had to balance quality versus bandwidth on lower quality broadband connections (or invest in a TS server).  Live actually improved all other integrated gaming services which is surely a benefit for everyone?

VGKing said:

(LOL at your 6GB of patches complaint though. Such an exagerration. If you bought some 360 games that are years old, I'm sure you'll encounter similar problems there as well. In the future, when comparing XBL to PSN, try using the same game and see if you notice any difference, because I don't)

Patches on PS3 are usually bigger. It has been discussed on this site and on GAF. You won't believe it, fine. But don't say otherwise because you are wrong.

360-patches are smaller because of

a) differential updates: only what's new gets patched.

b) patches are cumulative. This means if you buy a game that's old and want to play it, you have to download *one* patch in order to play the game as this patch contains all the patches in one patch. Done.

For further info, read here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520434 In post 6 there is another thread. Have fun.