By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox Live adds 6 Million members in a single Year, is the hate unjustified?

Does Xbox Live deserve the criticism it gets in the forums?

Yes Xbox Live is a rip off 221 45.19%

No Xbox Live is the best ... 208 42.54%

No opinion / don't care 60 12.27%

Total:489

Thank god neutral vgchartz posters can correct PS fan propaganda alongside 360 gamers.

I salute you Jallard and Benvtrigger

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
VGKing said:
J_Allard said:
VGKing said:
J_Allard said:
pezus said:

PS4 will have demos for all games. That's already been discussed. It will also have Gaikai, and I'm pretty sure that their servers are something else.

And aren't you happy for demos for every game or would you rather it be like PS3 where Sony charges developers for bandwidth so most PSN titles have no demo at all? And the much larger emphasis on community and social aspects.. aren't these great? You can thank XBLG for these.

No, we can thank Facebook/Twitter for that. MySpace if you want to get more technical.

Xbox Live isn't as community-focused and social as you say it is.(In fact Wii U is much more community focused w/ Miiverse and its free!) It's exactly the same as PSN, but has cross game voice chat. That's it. It's nowhere near the level of Facebook or even MySpace in terms of social aspects. 

PSN demos don't generally have demos since they are short games. It's been proven that games without demos sell better. It's why you didn't see a Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite demo and you probably never will.  

I wouldn't expect a poster like yourself to give MS any sort of credit for bringing sociability to consoles and making it a selling point but your denial doesn't change it from being factual reality. XBL is seen as something cool, something you gotta get to connect with your friends and stay in touch and its viewed that way because of the emphasis on social features and design. And now of course Nintendo and Sony are going the same route. Not a coincidence.

I'm not talking about retail games, I am talking XBLA and PSN titles. I can just rent a retail game with no demo available. I cannot rent a PSN title that has no demo. On Live I don't need to rent an XBLA to try it, every single one comes with a trial version. And now PSN is apparently going to follow suit. Another good change brought about because of Live.

That's great about every XBLA game getting trials. But all these games also require an internet connection to work so they're unplayable during maintenance and such unfortunate events. Not to mention the server costs all these trials cost Microsoft. I guess those Gold subsrptions are getting put to SOME use. I'll give credit where credit is due though. 

Thats just your opinion. I reality, XBL is a roadblock. It prevents people from playing online games or enjoying Netflix when these services are offered for free on other platforms. I'm sure Xbox Live has been very proftiable for Microsoft, but there's no way you can justify a paywall as anything but anti-consumer. 

I still don't get what's so social about XBL. What am I missing here? Is there some Miiverse-type thing I don't know about?

Basically, its seamless, its faster, you can connect with your friends faster and in more ways. In regards to getting where you need to go and finding what you want, Live is just plain better. Something PSN has crawled to match since day 1 and still hasn't matched....using PS Plus as a smoke and mirrors tactic to distract their fans from this little fact.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Thank god neutral vgchartz posters can correct PS fan propaganda alongside 360 gamers.

O_O

Since when are either of those two posters considered neutral?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

VGKing said:
Michael-5 said:

As a 360 ower, the hate is justified, especially because of the way the 360 is designed.

Before, the games which were free on Games for Windows, were also free on the 360. I played Lost Planet for free for over a year when I first got a 360. Plus social games in Halo 3 used to be free for silver members. Then these features got removed, thus reducing the quality of the XBL Silver experience to push people to go Gold.

Plus a lot of achievements nowdays are designed so you have an XBL subscription, and that you play online continuously. Halo 4 limits which maps you can play Spartan Ops on, so you don't get all the achievements related to specific maps in one shot, and Gears of War 3 had an achievement which required you to play one game every weekend for 30 weekends (not straight).

Ontop of that XBLG does not give you a discount on overpriced DLC, and doesn't provide you with any better service then the old XBL Silver account.

So I hate XBLG, mostly because it's ruining the experience which used to be free on Silver accounts.

----

Plus I hate MS because they are so excessive about DLC. To get the full experience for Halo or Gears, you have to spend $30 extra on a seasons pass, making Halo a $90 game (plus XBLG). No game should cost that much! Forza too, Car map packs are charge $1 per car, and if you want to buy individual cars it could cost as much as $4, that is if the car is available.

Also, again, the way games are designed on 360, makes me hate MS even more. There is no Platinum Trophy on 360, instead you have a section where all your complete games go. However on 360, a game is complete when you get all the achievements, including those in DLC, so if you complete a game, it could suddenly go off your list of complete games with DLC. For PS3 you only need to get all the original trophy's for a platinum, DLC is optional.

So I really hate MS now, they try to steal so much of your money. I wouldn't mind if the quality was good, or if down the road DLC became free or cheap (like it did for Gears of War 1 and PGR 4 respectively), but it's not anymore. Forza: Horizons DLC is Rally mode, but it's not really rally, it's just rally cars on dirt tracks. DLC nowadays also never goes down in price, often times the DLC costs more then the game after just a year or two.

---

I like the way XBL was before 2009, recently MS has just gotten too greedy, and not been giving to the gamers.

I'm quoting you because people need to see that its not only Sony fans criticizing  Xbox Live Gold. 

Don't get me wrong, XBL was good before 2009, even XBLG (I used to get free games!) but since then Microsoft has really gotten corrupt.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Nsanity said:
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 for the PS3 Has “Always Online” DRM, true story.

There is another game that has DRM on ps3 and I think 360 too, but I can't remember what it was.  Shit, I can't remember.

Around the Network
nnodley said:
Nsanity said:

There is another game that has DRM on ps3 and I think 360 too, but I can't remember what it was.  Shit, I can't remember.

outlawauron said:
sales2099 said:

O_O

Since when are either of those two posters considering neutral?

Since forever?

ive owned every single console and handheld for the past 3 generations.  I'm open that the 360 is my current favorite console but I have zero brand loyalty to them.  In fact I was a diehard Sony fan for two gens with the PS1 and PS2.  I go wherever the games are I enjoy most.  Ironically the main reason the 360 has been my primary console this gen is Xbox Live.  I still love my other consoles though, the only problem with Sony I have is its fans.  The die hard ones bother me FAR more than either Nintendo, PC, or Xbox fans

Nsanity said:
nnodley said:
Nsanity said:

Ya that did not help one bit.  Still can't remember.  Wait, maybe it was DC universe online(is that what its called).  I think it was something the came out this year though.

BenVTrigger said:
outlawauron said:
sales2099 said:

O_O

Since when are either of those two posters considering neutral?

Since forever?

ive owned every single console and handheld for the past 3 generations.  I'm open that the 360 is my current favorite console but I have zero brand loyalty to them.  In fact I was a diehard Sony fan for two gens with the PS1 and PS2.  I go wherever the games are I enjoy most.  Ironically the main reason the 360 has been my primary console this gen is Xbox Live.  I still love my other consoles though, the only problem with Sony I have is its fans.  The die hard ones bother me FAR more than either Nintendo, PC, or Xbox fans

I don't think anyone actually believes this.

I've owned everything for the past 3 generations as well and I don't think that removes biases or somehow makes me instantly neutral. You can make an informed post or comparison, but I would never consider you a neutral poster as I'm sure you don't consider me one. Now, I have one bad bias over all others that supercedes consoles, but that's a publisher, not a manufacturer. 

No group of fanboys bothers me more than any other. Each can be cool, annoying, or neither.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

XBL does nothing to setup the network. All it does is enhance the network. PSN & XBL don't have dedicated servers, they both use whatever the dev sets up, p2p or the dedicated server the dev owns.

That's the issue. What the dev has setup MS is charging for. All Live is doing is enhancing matchmaking and easing ability to play with friends.

Let me repeat that - MS is charging you to use a Dev's server in some cases.