By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - IP banning getting out of hand

routsounmanman said:
Just disconnect - reconnect to your ISP. Problem solved.

I tried that 3 times it didn't work. I am happy browsing through proxy. Are those legal.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
routsounmanman said:
Just disconnect - reconnect to your ISP. Problem solved.

I tried that 3 times it didn't work. I am happy browsing through proxy. Are those legal.

You can surf through a proxy all you like, but be aware that you are surfing THROUGH another computer. So, it is possible that your activity is being monitored. For instance, logging in through a proxy I wouldn't advise. Whoever is running that proxy can have access to your login information, if they felt so inclined.

Oh was refreshing too much that is why I was being ip banned. I always refresh alot. I have to break the habit.

I had the same thing happen to me over the New Year's holiday.
Two days without VGChartz. Right after my annual file was due.
I was really bummed.
At least now I know it is not personal.

(I am supposed to be getting dynamic IPs from my provider -- Comcast -- so you know it was big).

I've had it happen a bit at work too (WVU). But usually it does not last that long.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

ioi said:
I've been over this. The site has been running slow all day, we get lots of DOS attacks as well as a high volume of hits generally. Either the site goes down or we put a blocker in place that limits how much you hit the site (i.e triggered when someone is trying to attack it).

For now, until we get a new server, this is the best option we have.

cant you atleast up the blocker limit to 15, so that no innocent surfer gets ip blocked?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network

That's what going on? I kept having errors getting to the site like every 2 or 3 days. Yesterday the site worked on the living room pc but not on the one in the back bedroom. I didn't understand it.

I got this message twice today

I haven't got the message since refreshing alot but it seems that there are alot of time where you get Unable to Connect message or server is timed out.

I use a modem-just disconnects and everything works again-for a couple minutes anyways.

Man, I thought I did something wrong... I was like all I did was post a response to a criticism on the forums and I get banned!! I was like I don't get it. Then I got to work and my account wasn't banned and I stop logging just in case I end up banning my work IP because of my account, but then I found this post. My home IP is still banned, how long does that last? I can always use my work IP address to check the site from time to time but I am at work and probably shouldn't be doing that.

Its good to be a sys admin here at work, I can unblock game websites.

I'm just saying...