By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 made the greatest comeback ever.

Tagged games:

PS3 made the greatest comeback ever

Agree 471 71.04%

Disagree 192 28.96%

Total:663

I disagree. Compare the sales of the ps2 to the ps3. End of thread.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:

Reading the OP, I would say financials are completely irrelevent to his topic. And even then, the Playstation division went from losing billions annually to making profits similar to what they used to make during the PS2 era (source). Is that not a comeback?

So, financially it seems to be a comeback, as well.  Sony just needs to adress their TV department.  What's also interesting is that according to that chart, the Xbox has yet to become a profitable investment, overall.  I would imagine if the 720 doesn't perform well enough, investors are going to be calling left and right for MS to drop consoles and turn their attention towards addressing the Windows situation.

No one has debunked anything, and people keep putting up wrong numbers:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2009/03/20/genesis-vs-snes-by-the-numbers

Genesis was selling at a greater pace than SNES in the US in the early years. Catchy adverstising and campaigns suggesting SNES was slower than Genesis had some mocking the Nintendo cosole. Then with great third party support and the launch of Donkey Kong Country SNES surged ahead and didn't look back.

I consider a 3rd to 1st comeback to be significantly bigger than a 3rd to 3rd or maybe 2nd comeback. SNES went from being mocked to dominance. PS3 went from being mocked to respectable.

TheLastStarFighter said:

Genesis was selling at a greater pace than SNES in the US in the early years. Catchy adverstising and campaigns suggesting SNES was slower than Genesis had some mocking the Nintendo cosole. Then with great third party support and the launch of Donkey Kong Country SNES surged ahead and didn't look back.

I consider a 3rd to 1st comeback to be significantly bigger than a 3rd to 3rd or maybe 2nd comeback. SNES went from being mocked to dominance. PS3 went from being mocked to respectable.

DKC came out in 1994...Genesis/Megadrive had been on the market since 1988...No matter the difference DKC made (which it did), it was right at the end and hardly that relevent.

There is simpy no sensible parallel to be drawn though anyway with current PS3/Xbox 360 situation. I mean sure you could make a link somwhere but then we share most of our DNA with monkeys...so what.

Laurel Aitken said:
It was a great comeback. But fact is, that slow start will affect Sony almost forever. Case in point, in the USA and UK Xbox is now the standard for gaming. Ms willmhave the best launch on those two territories.

Sony did great after such a weak start. Now they have to do better to be on par (saleswise) with MS.

Anyone who catches the eye of the buyer with the better product becomes the standard. Microsoft and Sony share a similar product.

Around the Network
fillet said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

DKC came out in 1994...Genesis/Megadrive had been on the market since 1988...No matter the difference DKC made (which it did), it was right at the end and hardly that relevent.

There is simpy no sensible parallel to be drawn though anyway with current PS3/Xbox 360 situation. I mean sure you could make a link somwhere but then we share most of our DNA with monkeys...so what.

You realize that your comment further emphasizes the similarity of PS3 and SNES, don't you?  SNES for several years sold slower than Genesis.  It was at the end of its life that it sold at a greater rate.  Sound familiar?

Also are you saying that SNES didn't start slow and end strong?  I'm cofused as to your point.

TheLastStarFighter said:
fillet said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

You realize that your comment further emphasizes the similarity of PS3 and SNES, don't you?  SNES for several years sold slower than Genesis.  It was at the end of its life that it sold at a greater rate.  Sound familiar?

Also are you saying that SNES didn't start slow and end strong?  I'm cofused as to your point.

You know what, I've thought about this a bit deeper - and I believe you are actually right here.

I hope you respect that I could have thought of some stupid argument to disprove or carry on the charade but in all fairness this is something I hadn't thought about before properly and fair play to you for pointing this out.

Of course...

This is a "to be continued" as I can't see the PS3 outselling the Xbox 360 at this point ;)

But who knows.

Train wreck said:

I think comeback might be the incorrect word, But as usual, people on this site take things and run in completely different tangents.

The PS3, to me, has had a remarkable turnaround.

If the topic stated it that way then, this would be a totally different thread but even then you would have to consider some points.

The PS3 that is sold today is not the PS3 on first release.  Though big, the First gen PS3 is a thing of premium beauty.  Hardware BC, Four USB, memory card reader, premium front disk loader.  

Was it over engineered, yes but then again it was a system that Sony spent a lot of money on to get into gamers homes.  The problem was that it was just too expensive for its primary function, playing games.  There was nothing wrong with the first PS3 besides a little heating issue but the device was and is a premium piece of hardware.  The problem of the PS3 was that it was being sold to a market where such premium hardware never sold well at that price.  Next you had competition selling competing systems with lower specs able to match either hype or game output which kind of made the PS3 look too expensive for its main function.

The turnaround I feel is more with Sony then with the product.  Sony changed a lot and it makes their product better.  PS+ is a selling point to not just the PS3 but the future of the PS brand.  Sony willing to work more with indie developers, changing their policy on game submissions, making a system more developer friendly and encouraging more development on their hardware is where the value I see.

The PS3 today has lost a lot of weight and functionality which is why I am willing to pay Sony 150 dollars to fix my first gen PS3 then purchase one for 199 with a game.  So as far as the PS3 as a product, it’s now at that very friendly price which makes it the game system to get over the competition because of Sony sacrifice and first party studios but the comeback isn’t complete but the turnaround is in full steam.

So, instead of saying the PS3 has made a comeback, I would say the PS brand has made a comeback or Sony as a company.

fillet said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
fillet said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

You know what, I've thought about this a bit deeper - and I believe you are actually right here.

I hope you respect that I could have thought of some stupid argument to disprove or carry on the charade but in all fairness this is something I hadn't thought about before properly and fair play to you for pointing this out.

Of course...

This is a "to be continued" as I can't see the PS3 outselling the Xbox 360 at this point ;)

But who knows.

I absolutely respect your response.  And yes, PS3 isn't done yet...

disagree

still in 3rd
still getting inferior multiplats
still no cross game voice chat

Play Me