By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 next milestone: 80,000,000 units sold

kowenicki said:

Which in normal months is fine.  During November, its very misleading.

I think I get what you are saying... the confusion is make after these numbers because Sony didn't show separeted numbers anymore but I think you can believe in 70m for 4th Nov because that is a fact... the others numbers you have to estimate until the 80 milliom milestone.

Around the Network

Actually I'm looking even more forward than that. I'm wondering how the sales of the PS3 will be affected once PS4 is released. I think ultimately PS3 will settle at 100M lifetime given Sony gives it some legs for the next 2 years. But I think it'll happen anyway since 3rd parties will likely support the platform for that duration anyway.

UltimateUnknown said:
Actually I'm looking even more forward than that. I'm wondering how the sales of the PS3 will be affected once PS4 is released. I think ultimately PS3 will settle at 100M lifetime given Sony gives it some legs for the next 2 years. But I think it'll happen anyway since 3rd parties will likely support the platform for that duration anyway.

Sony first-party will support PS3 too.

kowenicki said:

Well yes.  But not just that, in November you would expect to have massive supply so its hard to get anything meaninful from it.

Supply during the summer months should be small.  Hence the belief amongst us that the 360 and PS3 are hugely undertracked.  For instance the 360 still hasnt sold through the 75.9m shipped by Dec 31st!  Nearly 4 months later we still have almost 1m i the suply chain apparently?

I'm pretty sure 360 is undertracked in 2012... Nintendo showed that in Europe (~400k under)... so I expect more in others regions... the difference can be close to 1 million.

And that makes the 2013 numbers even more inaccurate... I think 360 is selling close 100k per week this year istead close 80k... not a big difference per week but for the month and quarter this makes a big difference.

kowenicki said:

You know when I was saying exactly that ALL through 2012 based on the shipment v sold gap and you kept saying to me "supply is normal"....

Finally you agree with me. lol

Now all I need is cookingyourmama to agree with me.... fat chance.

Well I think the are right in the first quarter (Jan-Mar)... 1.5 million on the shelves after the Holidays is fine but over 2 million in the half of the year is wrong... way wrong.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Sony first-party will support PS3 too.

I'm sure they will but in the case that they go all out on the PS4, 3rd parties will still pick up the slack for a while on the PS3.

I think mid October is pretty realistic due to the consistent average of 100,000+ a week.

kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:

kowenicki said:

Well yes.  But not just that, in November you would expect to have massive supply so its hard to get anything meaninful from it.

Supply during the summer months should be small.  Hence the belief amongst us that the 360 and PS3 are hugely undertracked.  For instance the 360 still hasnt sold through the 75.9m shipped by Dec 31st!  Nearly 4 months later we still have almost 1m i the suply chain apparently?

I'm pretty sure 360 is undertracked in 2012... Nintendo showed that in Europe (~400k under)... so I expect more in others regions... the difference can be close to 1 million.

You know when I was saying exactly that ALL through 2012 based on the shipment v sold gap and you kept saying to me "supply is normal"....

Finally you agree with me. lol 

Now all I need is cookingyourmama to agree with me.... fat chance.

Well, there was that time when it was like 1.4-1.6 shipped over sold, and everyone said undertracked, and I said that according to the maths, the number was correct and that what likely happened was that MS ordered a shit ton of consoles themselves in preparation for a price drop, and then a week later we saw the 99$ subscription deal, and then a week later target and walmart had it too, and then gamestop.

Shipped vs sold blamed on undertracking through ALL of 2012 is a bit inaccurate.

March 2014

Sometime in December