By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Panasonic confirms exit from plasma TVs NOOOOOOOOOO

I've had an LG plasma for years and it has been outstanding. I don't know what people are talking about burn-in, as I have none and I have never taken any precautions whatsoever. However, If I get a new TV it will surely be LED.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:
kowenicki said:
Well you cant make money from TV's in Japan.

Slightly off topic, I was in Harrods the other week looking at the new TV's in there. The Samsung, LG and Sony ones looked great... if stupidly expensive. My wife bought some Alessi cutlery instead.

What do you mean? Don't they have new products for all price segments?

Not 4k tv's they don't, no. 

Oh... What are we talking about, over $5K for the smallest ones?

Ewwww. Who buys Plasma anymore? This aint the early 2000s ppl

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Their plasma Tv's are the best in the business and are currently the best tvs to get for gaming

Cobretti2 said:
Netyaroze said:
Sadly OLEDs arent perfect. The blue emitting diodes die faster the whole technology isn't as durable as LCD or Plasma. Even burn in does exist.

There is just one almost perfect technology its Crystal LED it actually has 3 different colored LEDs per Pixel all of the advantages of OLED none of the disadvantages. I hope CLED will become relevant in the future.

Oled isn't perfect either and if they don't manage to improve durability people are going to be dissapointed.

Maybe Panasonic can become the best OLED TV manufacturer like they were the best Plasma manufacturer.

OLED is already going down two paths

LG - white diodes, claim it will give you better blacks

Samsung - coloured LEDs, claim it will be more natural colours.

So the technology will develop just like plasma did.

Every OLED has to use the blue diodes or else it could not reproduce color. The organic compounds in those diods are decaying after a while and that problem is existing since the beginning and hasn't been solved yet.

Sure OLEDS will get better and maybe they find a solution in time but its not guaranteed.

Around the Network

So much for this article and this thread...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/12/panasonic-buries-rumors-of-plasma-tv-death/

"Reports that Panasonic will no longer develop and manufacture Plasma HDTVs are not correct.

"This week in New York City, Panasonic demonstrated the latest development of our gapless Plasma panel technology in our 2013 Smart VIERA ZT Series Plasma HDTV. The technology incorporated into our ZT Series Studio Master Panel will be the basis for continued plasma display panel development and production. While the Smart VIERA ZT Series introduces a new level of Plasma picture quality, we believe there is still room for further improvement and intend to continue to research ways to take our Plasma technology to even higher levels where it also has the potential to be applied in our other Plasma series in the future.

"VIERA Plasma HDTVs continue to set the standard for picture quality and black level excellence and the ZT Series is another example of the continued ability of Plasma to evolve and continue to deliver a best-in-class HDTV."