By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter On Next-Gen. NeXbox and Sony will be a success, WiiU crappy product

DanneSandin said:
I don't understand all the hate he's getting from Nintendo fans... It's time to wake up and smell the disaster that is the Wii U, and I'm a Nintendo fan myself, mind you. It's not going too well, and this is what Pachter sees and this is what he's basing his arguments on. I do believe it'll start to sell well as soon as they release some solid 1st party games (as evident by the bump the Wii U sales got by Lego City and MH3U), but that hasn't happened yet. And to think that Mario Kart or 3D Mario or Zelda is gonna sell 50m is just stupid. That's not gonna happen. This is a new GC or N64, and as a gamer, that's not bad at all! GC and N64 gave us some fantastic games! BUT as a company, that's not what Nintendo wants or needs, and that's not what will get investors to invest. So stop the needless hate and try to see the big picture for once. I'm tired of all the bashing Pachter gets around here. Sometimes he's way out of line, saying stupid ass shit things, but the last two threads I've seen about him he's been very reasonable, and the Nintendo fans being Unreasonable!!

so calling the Wii U a crappy product a reasonable statement?

Around the Network
mii-gamer said:
DanneSandin said:
I don't understand all the hate he's getting from Nintendo fans... It's time to wake up and smell the disaster that is the Wii U, and I'm a Nintendo fan myself, mind you. It's not going too well, and this is what Pachter sees and this is what he's basing his arguments on. I do believe it'll start to sell well as soon as they release some solid 1st party games (as evident by the bump the Wii U sales got by Lego City and MH3U), but that hasn't happened yet. And to think that Mario Kart or 3D Mario or Zelda is gonna sell 50m is just stupid. That's not gonna happen. This is a new GC or N64, and as a gamer, that's not bad at all! GC and N64 gave us some fantastic games! BUT as a company, that's not what Nintendo wants or needs, and that's not what will get investors to invest. So stop the needless hate and try to see the big picture for once. I'm tired of all the bashing Pachter gets around here. Sometimes he's way out of line, saying stupid ass shit things, but the last two threads I've seen about him he's been very reasonable, and the Nintendo fans being Unreasonable!!

From his point of view, yes. It's not making any money for them, and it's not selling any games, making it a bad investment. It doesn't look like it'll be able to compete with PS720 - unless Sony/MS fucks up big time (which MS just might do), making it a bad investment. Personally, I love the whole idea behind it, and can't wait to get me one, but from a business POV... it's not all that great.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I won't comment on the Nintendo stuff but I'll say this: I always stated that in a head to head battle Microsoft would win against Sony because they are in a better financial position and have more resources. But I also said if Microsoft was to lose this it'd be because of their focus on "entertainment" instead of games and their desire to make the Xbox some sort of entertainment hub. Pachter certainly knows what he's talking about when he says the split will be 50/50 for Microsoft but 70/30 for Sony. Again: If Microsoft focuses too much on general entertainment they'll get beaten by Sony. It's about the games not about Hulu and Netflix. A subscription based Xbox won't be a "games subscription" it'll be marketed as "a media hub for $9.99 a month" or something.

If you have 10 games and I have 10 games, but you have 5 tv shows and I have 10.... Who has the better gaming experience? They are equal.

Ratios like this mean jack unless there is context.  More media doesn't have to mean less games. 

Amen

DanneSandin said:

Pachter speaks as if there is literally nothing Nintendo can do to increase sales and the Wii U should just be scrapped. He also thinks Nintendo won't turn a profit this upcoming fiscal year....when they have things like Pikmin, W101, Mario, Mario Kart, WWHD, Retro's project, Pokemon Rumble (going to be huge in Japan) and Pokemon X&Y....then you get into the unknowns on Wii U (X, SMTxFE, Yoshi, unannounced titles), every single 3DS sale and whatever else is released on 3DS. I hope he realizes that when Iwata speaks about 1.1 billion, he is speaking in Yen which is only $11million USD. Nintendo might post that overall for the last FY even.

No one thinks Mario, Mario Kart, and WWHD are going to sell 50m. They will most definitely push the system up into the 12-15million range this year and thinking the Wii U could reach 50m in its lifetime is not completely unreasonable.

The problem with Pachter is how he blindly hates on Nintendo even though they make his "predictions" incorrect over and over again. He flips on just about everything he says, but hardly ever says anything bad about anyone but Nintendo. They are expanding while just about every other company is downsizing, they constantly turn a profit, only posting 1 annual loss in their history right around the time when the economy was near its worst and when the Yen was far too high comparatively. Investors invest if they are likely to see their money increase, with Nintendo's track record of posting profits (they even did so for one of the Wii's last 2 years, when it was effectively dead), it is a very smart investment.

Sony on the other hand, has a credit status of literally "Junk" which tells investors (see: the people Pachter should be appealing to) that they are taking a huge risk in investing, yet he doesn't say a word on it, their downsizing, selling of stock and HQ's....none of it.

He also has this crazy notion the Skype is a "killer-app." I mean, what the hell? Those kids that will "bug their parents to buy an Xbox" probably already have laptops with Skype and cell phones with Skype. As do the parents. He has even admitted to pulling predictions straight out of his ass. He says as many things as he can and hopes something sticks so that when it does, he can say "See? I told you." He is absolutely unreasonable.

Around the Network

it would be very impressive if the nextbox is $100, i could imagine the wait to get one. sony will need to offer up some kind of ps+ deal to help lower the cost of their system if they are going to compete. Its going to be a good time to be a gamer.

idfc about verizon or any of that other junk xbox will have though, i just want to play games and bluerays from time to time.

So, both Xbox and Sony will not be successful with a split market. Also, the Wii U is a good product and Nintendo will be able to fix it.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

DanneSandin said:
mii-gamer said:
DanneSandin said:

From his point of view, yes. It's not making any money for them, and it's not selling any games, making it a bad investment. It doesn't look like it'll be able to compete with PS720 - unless Sony/MS fucks up big time (which MS just might do), making it a bad investment. Personally, I love the whole idea behind it, and can't wait to get me one, but from a business POV... it's not all that great.

Yep you have to judge console only on the Launch window. There is absolutely no way the Wii u can make a comeback- pachter is righ, the wii u is a crappy product.

goddog said:
Rafux said:
"Things I don't believe is Always connected and used games. I think people are reading that wrong"

Well that settles it.

Nooooooo! well i best buy dual wan router and get secondary network service in case of failure of the primary 

that...or a PS4

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

JayWood2010 said:

"Xbox will be subsidized by services like comcast and verizon."

everything is plausible but that to me.  i just can't see comcast playing nice with MS (read: anyone).