By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - North America is becomming a bigger market, Europe a smaller, Japan's equal

Kamil.

According to the math I did (which is at least a little wrong) US had a 4 percent point difference to Europe, I assume I am not totally wrong, and that it has at least had a tiny bit difference, that is why I said what I did.

I NEVER said it is getting smaller. It is losing share, that does not mean that it is getting smaller.

If Europe and NA had exact same sales one year, but US doubled next year, Europe would have 33 % share that year, but they wouldn't have become smaller.

You get what I mean? And hey, I know I did it wrong, you don't have to tell 15 times and bump up the thread.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

If you go by purchasing power per capita then the US is pretty high up there anywhere between 7th and 2nd place globally depending on the source. Luxembourg is rated at number 1 no matter which numbers are used. The UK is way down there believe it or not at either #13 or 21 depending on the source. Either way the only European countries come close to the US in PPP are Norway, Luxembourg, and Ireland?. 

So yeah the US is probably still a bigger market.

@Oyv:
You mean you did math in your first post? Comparing three consoles from which one is supply constrainted, second was released few months later in Europe and third (which is not liked in Europe very much) has unproportionaly big market share due to being released one year earlier. Sorry, but for me it isn't worth much, there are to many factors that influences the resut.

I NEVER said it is getting smaller. It is losing share, that does not mean that it is getting smaller.

And who wrote this: "North America is becomming a bigger market, Europe a smaller, Japan's equal".

And hey, I know I did it wrong, you don't have to tell 15 times and bump up the thread.

Well, you are still defending your points. And when someone's if refering to what I have written I generally answer him if I fell I can add something to the subject.

I think if you go by generation 6 to generation 7 (homw consoles), it will end up that Europe has had the most growth of the three markets... closely followed by America... and Japan may have little to no growth.

If you factor in handhelds as well then Japan should see some growth, America about the same growth as without handhelds (percentage wise) whilst Europe will see massive growth.

Just an opinion though, I don't want to go any deeper into it.

Kamil said:

You mean you did math in your first post? Comparing three consoles from which one is supply constrainted, second was released few months later in Europe and third (which is not liked in Europe very much) has unproportionaly big market share due to being released one year earlier. Sorry, but for me it isn't worth much, there are to many factors that influences the resut.

So you are basically saying, that if I said 2+2=37 it is not math? I know I did mistakes...

And who wrote this: "North America is becomming a bigger market, Europe a smaller, Japan's equal".

Yup, I wrote that. I never said the title was good. I think, however, that my post should tell what I meant, sorry, my English isn't great, it's my third language and I'm only 14.

And hey, I know I did it wrong, you don't have to tell 15 times and bump up the thread.

Well, you are still defending your points. And when someone's if refering to what I have written I generally answer him if I fell I can add something to the subject.

This one was of course not meant to you. You had all rights to try to defend yourself. About 5 people started their sentences with something like "as everybody else mentioned" and then stated a point I already accepted as true.

Around the Network

Okay, I'll check if I can find some data for 2 years into different places and so on. Really, I just wanted to die off this thread, but apparently, that was impossible.

Darn, the data for Europe only goes back to 12 march 05, so impossible to do that

I can't believe no one has mentioned that the numbers are skewed by the huge sales bias of the 360.

The 360 had a year's head start, and it is VERY disproportionately popular in North America. The 360's share of the total install base has shrunk rapidly and will continue to shrink. This will also cause North America's share of the total install base to shrink, all else being equal.

Honestly though I don't think the effect would be huge in the end; probably it would zero out the shift from EUR to NA. And then of course other factors might cause NA to pull ahead after all by end of gen.

P.S. If the 360 did in fact get mentioned before, I apologize for being blind.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned that the numbers are skewed by the huge sales bias of the 360.

The 360 had a year's head start, and it is VERY disproportionately popular in North America. The 360's share of the total install base has shrunk rapidly and will continue to shrink. This will also cause North America's share of the total install base to shrink, all else being equal.

Honestly though I don't think the effect would be huge in the end; probably it would zero out the shift from EUR to NA. And then of course other factors might cause NA to pull ahead after all by end of gen.

P.S. If the 360 did in fact get mentioned before, I apologize for being blind.

Excellent point.  I think the biggest factor is that Wii and PS3 have been available in Europe for shorter periods of time than NA/Japan.  In a couple of years Europe will have a significantly higher % of worldwide sales than last gen.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Ok, since the threas surely isn't going to die, I might as well list all the mistakes I did, right? So I'll check next time I do something.

- Small Wii shipments to Europe.
- I should have done it equally into each console, but I did not have the numbers. Since it has been shorter time in 7th gen, the launch differences are much bigger.
- Newer markets take up new things more slowly, therefore Europe will start more later on.
- Europe changed from PC gaming to console gaming, which should have shown a grown, but didn't. Thereby we can see that people who normally would have bought, haven't done that yet.
- I am not including the handheld market.
- the 360 had a year start, which is very important in USA, its share in USA decreases, and the total will therefore also sink.

Anything else I missed?

To the discussion about weather US is richer than EU, check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_HDI

Japan > USA > UK.

Also, France, Finland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark > USA > Austria> UK

By looking at it, I'd say the main land > UK
It also appears to be slightly ahead of US