By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - iwata on using the wii-mote/chuck for fps games

Noting the success of the Wii in international markets, he discussed the use of the Wii-mote and nunchuk as a controller for first person shooters. "Metroid Prime is not out yet, so this is just the opinion of testers, but it's being rated close to the keyboard and mouse control that's the standard for PC games," Iwata disclosed

that makes me hopeful :)  

Around the Network

I got to admit, I'm still kind of worried about this game. The videos shows the same kind of bounding box, wiimote turns the player control method used in Red Steel. Sure it looks a lot more responsive, but it still seems like it could provide some problems. The pessimist in me even wonders if the games controls are what's delaying it's release.

I'm starting to wonder about the Wiimote as a fps controller. It's perfect for aiming, and will work excellently in third person shooters (which seem to be the trend right now), but when the wiimote controls both where you look and where you shoot, it doesn't seem to come together so well.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

It seemed to work fine in Red Steel when the framerate was up.  The problem was that the framerate kept dipping anytime there was any action on the screen, so it became unresponsive and twitchy.  I think it works fine in principle, as long as the game has a solid framerate.  Metroid Prime for the Gamecube had a solid framerate (and looked better than Red Steel, I might add), so I see no reason that Corruption will be any different.  I'm looking forward to it as the first FPS really done right on the Wii.

I´m 100 pro with you on this one stof, metroid really needs to show the wiis fps qualities,  I hear that there will be an option for PC gamers to make it more like a mouse and keyboard, I hope this means that aiming and turning will be the same movement, as in PC shooters, if they get this right it would (for me) be much better than gamepad aiming. Since its delayed for so long I hope that the main focus is on contolls and internet, if metroid does a good job at showing the wiis fps skills it would be more fun for me than any 360 or PS3 shooter since an old counterstriker like myself never could get used to a gamepad in fps. This might show some developers that a lack of grafix on the wii can be compensated through good gameplay. The most fps will of course stay on 360 and PS3 but it would be another good step to making the wii an ultimate allround-system.      

If one of the control options (shown in IGN's MP3 videos) allow for a control scheme like Red Steel with a bounding box, then I'm all for it. I couldn't aim for crap in Call of Duty 3. :(

Edit : Let me dig up that video.... 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748547/vids_1.html Check the "Expert Controls" video Personally I prefer the large bounding box, I can aim much better that way. But the good thing is WE CAN CHOOSE. :D

I've seen a metroid prime video with the game on expert mode, and the problem is that when you're turning, you're still pulling the reticule to the side of the screen.  It seems to almost break controlling down into sections. You can shoot, or you can turn, but it seems to work one at a time. Now obviously I haven't played the game myself. It might all work quite well.

Hopefully, the game's delays have been to add new stuff. Either upping the graphics or adding a strong multiplayer mode. My fingers are crossed on this one. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I know after E3'06 they did an overhaul on the graphics engine because too many people said it looked like Metroid Prime 1.5

MOH Vanguard wasn't very good with the Wii control system. I was watching it on gamer T.V on sky. It was reported to 'float' skywards when trying to aim a few times (A bit like a mouse being over sensitive). Wether that was due to the person relaxing their muscles or the game not being well done I'm not sure. I hope this is resolved for other Wii FPS.

Good to see this site is still going 

Quartz said:
MOH Vanguard wasn't very good with the Wii control system. I was watching it on gamer T.V on sky. It was reported to 'float' skywards when trying to aim a few times (A bit like a mouse being over sensitive). Wether that was due to the person relaxing their muscles or the game not being well done I'm not sure. I hope this is resolved for other Wii FPS.

I played vanguard, and the controls seemed to handle fluidly in 2-player deathmatch..(of course that was the only mode i played) As a matter of fact, in my first try i was in good control without camera problems, unlike Red Steel.

While i like Red Steel controls i find that the reticule window was too big to provide solid movement, plus the zoom/"focus" mode was badly implemented. I trust they will rectify this on MP3. It may be the standard for other FPS after it's release.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"