By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Wii U less powerful than a seventh generation console?

What disturbs me even more is that the Wii U isn't even powerful enough to run Gamecube games; I tried Rogue Squadron II, a game from 2001, on it the other day and it couldn't even load the title screen on the disc player menu. Rogue Squadron II is clearly too complex a game for the Wii U's feeble CPU.

Around the Network

I havent noticed... coz I have nothing to play

aikohualda said:
i dont think people read the whole OP anymore... they just read the title :/

when have people ever?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

LOL..   My high end pc must be worse than a  gamecube because when I try and emulate Metroid Prime on it the framerates are lower on my pc.

RolStoppable said:

From first hand experience, the answer is undoubtedly yes. It's embarrassing.

I found it odd that Jett Rocket had more slowdowns than usual when I played it on my Wii U. My fears were confirmed when I tested Super Mario Galaxy 2 extensively. About the only notable slowdown the game had on the Wii was in the Bowser level in world 4 during the brief part where Mario flies towards the camera during the middle of the level. On the Wii U, however, are more slowdowns. The most memorable instance is in the Gigagoomba galaxy right after Mario flies through the big pipe. There's some irritating slowdown when making your way across the triangle platforms.

The conclusion is obvious: The Wii U is indeed less powerful than the Wii, because Wii games run worse on it.

This shocking revelation almost made me consider a non-Nintendo console, but Sony has already confirmed that the PS4 won't be powerful enough to run the games of its predecessor (and thus features even more embarrassing hardware than the Wii U, for a higher price no less) and Microsoft, based on rumors, seems to be hellbent to withdraw from the console business. So I'll have to stick with my Wii U due to the lack of choices, although I won't play any Wii U games on it due to the lack of choices.

I think you stick to only your Wii U due to the lack of money, and I don't mean to offend you, but c'mon, let's cut the crap already.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

What disturbs me even more is that the Wii U isn't even powerful enough to run Gamecube games; I tried Rogue Squadron II, a game from 2001, on it the other day and it couldn't even load the title screen on the disc player menu. Rogue Squadron II is clearly too complex a game for the Wii U's feeble CPU.

I'll wait for a Digital Foundry assesment before believing that!!!

Oh I was hoping this was part of a larger analagy about Wii U multiplat games :(

oni-link said:
curl-6 said:

I'll wait for a Digital Foundry assesment before believing that!!!

But DF has already confirmed Wii U can't run CPU intensive games.

If it can't run Rogue Squadron 2 now, it never will, everyone knows the Wii U is the first console in history to be magically maxed out at launch!

ghost_of_fazz said:
It's even worse than you notice Rol: Try to boot a Gameboy cartridge on the Wii U. It just won't work.

This is clear evidence that the Wii U is less powerful than the Gameboy, a 1989 portable console. What the hell Nintendo, JUST WHAT THE HELL.

HA HA HA HA

mutantclown said:
RolStoppable said:

The conclusion is obvious: The Wii U is indeed less powerful than the Wii, because Wii games run worse on it.

This shocking revelation almost made me consider a non-Nintendo console, but Sony has already confirmed that the PS4 won't be powerful enough to run the games of its predecessor (and thus features even more embarrassing hardware than the Wii U, for a higher price no less) and Microsoft, based on rumors, seems to be hellbent to withdraw from the console business. So I'll have to stick with my Wii U due to the lack of choices, although I won't play any Wii U games on it due to the lack of choices.

I think you stick to only your Wii U due to the lack of money, and I don't mean to offend you, but c'mon, let's cut the crap already.

Rol a cheapo! confirmed!..  LOL .. mutantclown your so smart!