By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 could very well have turned the corner (in Europe anyway).

With this weeks sales figures in for Europe (Others), it  looks like sales of the PS3 have broken the 4m barrier and in only 10 months on the market, selling on average 400k units every month in Others.

On top of this we are now seeing an upward turn of sales.

Burnout Paradise was released last week (Friday 25th to be precise) and it sold some 12k more on the PS3 than the 360.  To top this off, the 360 has only 2 titles in the top 20 sales of the week with Burnout Paradise and COD4, whereas  the PS3 has a decent 4 titles including Burnout, COD4, Assassins Creed and Uncharted.

Also sales of COD4 are selling more on the PS3 than the 360 and Assassins Creed as has been since it's release has sold more on the PS3 than the 360.

Overall the PS3 sold 20k more consoles than the 360 and sold a whopping 55k more games than the 360.

All in all, it looks like the PS3 is getting a steady stream on console and game sales whereas the 360 is decreasing all the time.

What will happen over the next few months?  Well DMC4 will be released shortly, but apart from this, there won't be any big hitters until GTA4 appears on 28th April, and going on recent track record, it could very well sell more on the PS3 than the 360.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

What will happen over the next few months?
PS3 will continue to dominate over x360.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

davygee said:

What will happen over the next few months? Well DMC4 will be released shortly, but apart from this, there won't be any big hitters until GTA4 appears on 28th April, and going on recent track record, it could very well sell more on the PS3 than the 360.

I believe GT5P will boost PS3 sales noticeable. It needs some ads though. I think GT5P will sell more than 1 million WW easily (250k JP, 400k Others, 350k US).

360 is doomed to come in third.

The PS3 is a price drop away from achieving Wii status in Others. Maybe the new bundle can increase sales some more.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Around the Network

I'm hoping the Ps3 keeps its momentum and keeps pushing forward. I love this damn machine and I'd love to see it succeed in these chartz.

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
All VGCharterz welcome!!!
PSN: Al_Kickurass, Official Warhawk League Thread!!!-> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937

Quick note: Since piracy is more "mainstream" in Europe it's possible that software sales on the 360 might have been affected by it.

Let's just hope my prediction comes true (see my sig). If the recession in the US really starts to hit and Europe becomes even more PS3 and Wii orientated, then the 360 might have a problem that even the best analysists working for them couldn't have seen coming when they started this project.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Looking good for the PS3!

If Sony play this correctly (keeping up with any price cut the 360 recieves this year) then their target of outselling the 360 in Europe by summer looks to be a sure fire bet :D

I agree that when GT5P is released it should see a nice spike in sales, as that series is one of the most famous (if not the most famous) racing game of all time!

PS3 is outselling 360 WW, but onlx by 30.000 units. It will take a long time for Sony to become No. 2 in the actual generation. Maybe in late 2009.

There are too many multi games for PS360, which sell really good, like COD4, Burnout and AC. 3rd devs will not go exclusive if they have good sales on both consoles.
So in the end it doesent really matter if you buy a PS3 or a 360, because you get the same games.

@ dp666

The exclusives leading up to christmas 2008 should make the difference, november / december 2008 will see much higher sales.

For Japan, anticipated multi-platform games are much more likely to push PS3 sales than 360 sales.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales