By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are games today merely rereleasing updated game concepts of the past?

richardhutnik said:

If you go Indie, I can agree.  I am not saying that you can't have this be so at all, just that on the top end, you are less likely to see it happen.  Bigger the budget, the less off the path you get.

Heck, maybe I can give you Heavy Rain as a possible exception.

Well, sure. Almost by definition being mainstream means taking little to no risks and I'd say we're at a point where mainstream games tend to fall in a few sclerotic genres, same as movies.

Also: Scribblenauts.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Slimebeast said:
Yes.

What was the last videogame released that isn't some sort of derivative game from the past?  Tetris perhaps?  I did mention Crazy Taxi as another idea I saw.  Maybe I am missing something

Journey.

Better hardware will in itself cause for innovation!

No, and your threads are generally banal.

Even in writing it's commonly stated that there are no new ideas, just new twists on old ideas.

For the most part this is true of gaming. I can't think of any game - console or mobile - that can't be traced back to a previous game design, except for maybe Peter Molyneux's curiousity.

Due to high development cost/risk there is vertually no new game designs in the console space. Anything new would be from independants using Steam/PSN/XBL/mobile.

I think Wii Music tried (and failed) to do something new. It wasn't a rhythym based game like previous 'music' games like DDR/GH/RB.

New interfaces breed new variations on older designs - Wii Sports, Angry Birds. But power doesn't appear to open new gameplay options anymore (just prettier).

I don't view either Heavy Rain or Pikmin as 'new' just twists on long existing genres (adventure/RTS)

Around the Network

Are richardhutnik threads today merely updated versions of richardhutnik "gaming is doomed because..." threads of the past?

badgenome said:
Are richardhutnik threads today merely updated versions of richardhutnik "gaming is doomed because..." threads of the past?

Havn't you used that line before?

Gamerace said:

Havn't you used that line before?

Probably. Even in writing it's commonly stated that there are no new ideas, just new twists on telling richard that he always seems to be moaning about the same subjects.