By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - As a long time Xbox supporter the Nextbox rumors sound awful and here's why

arminuk said:
BenVTrigger said:

This is not a trolling thread as I am a huge Xbox fan.  But let's honestly break down the current rumors and look at just how anti consumer and just downright awful it sounds.

1. Always online -doesn't affect me at all as I have amazing internet but it completely screws millions of potential buyers. Especially those in rural areas or emerging markets

2. Wont play pre owned games - Idon't believe this one bit but still there's rumors everywhere

3.  Weaker than the PS4 -And not just slightly. If the rumored GPU is indeed true its significantly weaker with slower RAM

4. Kinect required - I like Kinect but I also recognize theres a huge chunk of gamers who find it useless

5.  Continued Pay to Play online - Not a big deal considering how good Live has been but with PS Plus offering rediculous deals Live is getting harder and harder to justify

I realize these are entirely rumors and ALL of it could be fake but so far theres quite a bit of momentum behind these rumors and if they turn out to be true I can safely say Im abandoning the Xbox 

Long time Xbox supporter how long have u support them ? I was Sony supporter and I went for Xbox 360 and will stay with them don't care if new Xbox is less powerful than ps4 . Tbh if you don't like it don't buy it they not gonna force you to buy new console 

I have 77 thousand gamerscore.  I spend thousands of dollard on the Xbox brand

And of course they arent forcing me to buy. If these rumors are true Ill express my opinion with my wallet and not give them a dime. It will be the first console in the past 3 generations I havent owned

Around the Network

I highly doubt this 'always online' rumor. I mean, people get disconnected from Xbox Live all the time. So what will happen during these disconnections? Will you return to the Dashboard and be asked to sign in again, rather than remaining in-game? Will you remain in-game though all features including single player modes will be locked? 

Sounds ridiculous.

Can't we wait to it's announced?

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I highly doubt this 'always online' rumor. I mean, people get disconnected from Xbox Live all the time. So what will happen during these disconnections? Will you return to the Dashboard and be asked to sign in again, rather than remaining in-game? Will you remain in-game though all features including single player modes will be locked? 

Sounds ridiculous.

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

No, you won't be able to play anything.

1) Not affected personally as my Xbox is always online but will be EXTREMELY annoying in those cases where the Xbox just randomly disconnects from Live. It does happen sometimes.
2) Not affected as I barely ever buy pre-owned games. Could be a bit annoying not being able to lend games to a friend or borrow games.
3) This could be a problem if the difference is larger than the difference between PS3 and 360 in power. Otherwise it probably won't be noticeable in 3rd party games and only 1st party games on PS4 will look a little better, which is a non-issue. From what most devs have been saying, it probably won't be too underpowered.
4) I think Kinect implementation will be left to devs to choose if they want, which is good and since every box has one, it could have some meaningful side implementation which doesn't come off as annoying. So I'm actually positive on this one.
5) This is the major issue. MS can no longer continue to charge for basic online play when Sony are charging the same amount for a very glorified rental service, and Steam is just....I won't even bother saying anything. This is probably what's going to make me not buy a 720 out of all the points mentioned. I am done paying money for a feature that I paid for when I bought the game.

Around the Network
tonymarraffa said:
Can't we wait to it's announced?

Sure Im not announcing its doomed or anything.

Im just giving my opinion on the rumors

It is just all rumors, and so many who contradict themself, anyway it would also be easy for people to be impressed with the nextbox then if they are into this rumors...

1. I have a good internet connection so not a problem
2. I doubt this rumor is true
3. Not too much of a problem cause the console will be cheaper if less powerful
4. I like Kinect
5. This is a problem and this needs to be changed.

Just wait for the console to be announced cause we know nothing about the Nextbox.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

arminuk said:

Long time Xbox supporter how long have u support them ? I was Sony supporter and I went for Xbox 360 and will stay with them don't care if new Xbox is less powerful than ps4 . Tbh if you don't like it don't buy it they not gonna force you to buy new console 

I heard a rumor that they will force you to buy a new console, actually.

JoeTheBro said:
1. Good thing for me. It will have lots of social features dependent on this.

2. Doesn't affect me as long as a sharing system is implemented. If I can't go over to a friends house and play my games with him on his XBOX, I'll be upset.

3. And the PS4 is weaker than a $5,000 gaming computer. Power isn't that important.

4. I'll have to wait and see. If Kinect is large then this could be a problem. Kinda similar to external power blocks, it could be annoying. Otherwise it's like complaining XBOX needs to be hooked up to TV.

5. I hate having to pay for LIVE. It's a pretty shady business strategy and I hope things are modified. Maybe give Silver members online play? Maybe sell the console at a super cheap price.

2. In others words you're saying the PS4 feature is already a selling point for you.

3. Power is very important, or not exactly "raw" power but hardware architecture. Because of "power" the PS3 couldn't copy "party voice chat" while in-game and many third-party developers had trouble porting their games. Let's say the 720 is similar enough to the PS4 to allow very good ports, but because of some hardware limitations you can't do some very cool feature(s) the PS4 allows you to do while gaming. That could put off some people.

4. Well, if Kinect is mandatory the problem wouldn't be its size, but rather the placement. Most people can't be bothered to be placed in a determined spot to play their games or even navigate the dashboard. 

5. I think all the worthwhile features will be tied to Live, including online play, but this time it'll be actually worth it.