By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Tax Junk Food/Regulate Contents?

Tagged games:

Tax Food with high concentrations of Salt/Fat/Sugar/HFCS?

Yes, tax anything high fat 7 12.28%

Yes, tax anything high salt 0 0%

Yes, tax anything high sugar 1 1.75%

Yes, tax anything with HFCS 0 0%

Yes, tax a combination of... 5 8.77%

Yes tax all of the above 10 17.54%

Maybe, not sure 0 0%

No, just lift the Corn Subsidy 12 21.05%

No, we can read a nutrition label fine 16 28.07%

See Results 4 7.02%

Total:55

Taxing is a good idea, it could also help the health system to provide campaigns and treatment to those who choose not to eat healthy. It will make the companies try to produce healthier products so they can avoid the taxes and is not forbidding anyone to buy the unhealthy stuff, you just have to pay a little more to do it and it is still your choice.

Off course this will only work in a low poverty country, because the poor people need the high energy intakes at a low price to survive. So only junk food that is considered processed (ingredients cannot be taxed) and a luxury can be taxed, and it becomes quite a difficult task to do it.

Around the Network

Junk food shouldn't be so cheap so lifting any subsidies would help there. There should be a limit to what a person can order from fast food restaurants, an actual limit to "all you can eat". I don't know about new taxes, but kids should be taught how to cook from scratch in school, it should get the funding sex ed gets. Cooking is a very important life skill and if people know how to cook properly, they should be healthier.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

flagstaad said:
Taxing is a good idea, it could also help the health system to provide campaigns and treatment to those who choose not to eat healthy. It will make the companies try to produce healthier products so they can avoid the taxes and is not forbidding anyone to buy the unhealthy stuff, you just have to pay a little more to do it and it is still your choice.

Off course this will only work in a low poverty country, because the poor people need the high energy intakes at a low price to survive. So only junk food that is considered processed (ingredients cannot be taxed) and a luxury can be taxed, and it becomes quite a difficult task to do it.

taxing to stop people from doing something definatly falls under the catagory of removing choice. you said it all right there in one sentance. Forcing people to pay more is forcing people to change their choices. it never works, it has never worked, and never will. People will always make their own choices, no manner of taxes will stop that, so why punish every body?  Heck, you can even ban and outlaw sugar, and that won't work either, as prohibition also never works. Look at the world around you, when has the government deciding something is best for your health ever worked succesfully, prohibition-no, ban drugs-no, tax cigaretts-no. When has education worked to help battle bad habbits-cigarettes yes. So its better to educate than to tax and ban. But of course its easier to just tax and ban than to actually solve the problem of teaching people (mainly kids from a young age) the proper way to eat and make choices for themselves.

the2real4mafol said:
Junk food shouldn't be so cheap so lifting any subsidies would help there. There should be a limit to what a person can order from fast food restaurants, an actual limit to "all you can eat". I don't know about new taxes, but kids should be taught how to cook from scratch in school, it should get the funding sex ed gets. Cooking is a very important life skill and if people know how to cook properly, they should be healthier.

i work at a pizza place with an all you can eat pizza and salad bar, we dont have very many obese customers, why punish the rest of them for the very few who can't control themselves? Why not just have the few that cant control themselves live with their choices, so perhaps they will change their minds and change their ways.

thranx said:
the2real4mafol said:

i work at a pizza place with an all you can eat pizza and salad bar, we dont have very many obese customers, why punish the rest of them for the very few who can't control themselves? Why not just have the few that cant control themselves live with their choices, so perhaps they will change their minds and change their ways.

I actually agree with what you said, but those that do become obese don't seem to learn, they just get fatter and fatter. It is their choice though. There is nothing a government can do to get people healthier, the unhealthy can only change this. Education is a big part in that. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:
thranx said:
the2real4mafol said:

I actually agree with what you said, but those that do become obese don't seem to learn, they just get fatter and fatter. It is their choice though. There is nothing a government can do to get people healthier, the unhealthy can only change this. Education is a big part in that. 

Yea, bad subsidies, and bad education have done their damage. But there has been a big push for healthier items everywhere in the US so things will turn around. As people get educated about it they will get healthier.

thranx said:

taxing to stop people from doing something definatly falls under the category of removing choice. you said it all right there in one sentance. Forcing people to pay more is forcing people to change their choices. it never works, it has never worked, and never will. People will always make their own choices, no manner of taxes will stop that, so why punish every body?  Heck, you can even ban and outlaw sugar, and that won't work either, as prohibition also never works. Look at the world around you, when has the government deciding something is best for your health ever worked succesfully, prohibition-no, ban drugs-no, tax cigaretts-no. When has education worked to help battle bad habbits-cigarettes yes. So its better to educate than to tax and ban. But of course its easier to just tax and ban than to actually solve the problem of teaching people (mainly kids from a young age) the proper way to eat and make choices for themselves.

No it does not, taxing something is not removing choice is making the not taxable stuff a better choice, but is not removing the product from the shelf, or banning anything. If you want to buy the unhealthy stuff, it is there buy it, but is a little more expensive, is not like taxes will double the value of the item, it will just make it 10-20% more expensive.

And I agree that educating people is a very good, but the money for the education and the commercials about how bad are the cigaretts for you come from the extra taxes that those items have, so the idea is to tax rationally and invest the money on education programs, win-win situation. And way better than just ban a product.  

dsgrue3 said:
Michael-5 said:

The government controls what you eat by controlling price.

e.g. Government supports people to eat healthy produce, by not charging tax on it (bringing price down).

Grocery Stores control what you eat with store layouts.

e.g. Grocery Stores always put produce at the main entrance. Do you know why? Produce has a higher profit margin, but a lower volume margin then chips/boxed food. By putting it at the front you force people to walk through and people give it a second thought. For the same reason, they put chocolate bars at cash.

At fast Food Restaurants there are Nutrituion Labels (mandated by the government) and often additional charts (not government mandated). Those additional charts are there at the descrepancy of the seller. e.g. McDonalds posts a chart where the Big Mac is low on Salt and Sugar content, and only just over the maximum intake for fat. However I think they get there numbers based on a 3,000 calorie diet, I dunno, I haven't ordered anything but coffee at McDonalds in ages.

My point was that in restaurants (the proper kind) there should be a government mandated indicator that certain foods are high fat/salt. You can't fit a nutrition label for every item on the menu. The only mandate in Canada right now is that there must be at least 1 vegetarian alternative, and it must be labeled. I'm saying foods with over 300% of the fat/salt/sugar/etc intake should be labels by law.

Price is of no consequence to what I eat. Not sure about others.

Food isn't taxed at all in most states. 

Never really thought about layout and I have to say it's a bit contrived. I walk down nearly every aisle, save the ones I don't need to like baking stuff and shampoo and what not.

It seems a bit silly to ask restaurants to label that. Most fast food would have the entire menu marked as such. It's common sense that fast food isn't healthy - adding a sticker won't solve anything.

I know quite a few sit down places that started offering "healthy" options as a special menu section. I think that's a good idea for people who care; the rest of us are eating out to enjoy ourselves and probably can't be damned to care about the nutritional value. 

Well I know the high price of junk food does work as a deterant for me, but I hear that's not common.

LOL, well what about restaurants. Most items would not be labeled high fat/salt/sugar, but a few things would. Would it not help guide people to healthier alteratives? As for fast food, this still helps quite a bit. You know how places like McDonalds, or Wendy's have those cheap "healthy" snack wraps? Guess what, the amount of salt in them greatly exceeds that of a big mac. I didn't know that until I took a good look at the nutrition menu, and I'm sure most don't.

For fast food, I think extreme cases should be labeled. e.g. Sweet Onion Chicken Teriaki and Subway. It's salt content is above the daily recommended intake for a 6 inch. lol.

Eating Nutritionally doesn't mean you don't enjoy your food LOL. There are plenty of burger joints which taste much much better then McDonalds and are a lot healthier.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

thranx said:
flagstaad said:

taxing to stop people from doing something definatly falls under the catagory of removing choice. you said it all right there in one sentance. Forcing people to pay more is forcing people to change their choices. it never works, it has never worked, and never will. People will always make their own choices, no manner of taxes will stop that, so why punish every body?  Heck, you can even ban and outlaw sugar, and that won't work either, as prohibition also never works. Look at the world around you, when has the government deciding something is best for your health ever worked succesfully, prohibition-no, ban drugs-no, tax cigaretts-no. When has education worked to help battle bad habbits-cigarettes yes. So its better to educate than to tax and ban. But of course its easier to just tax and ban than to actually solve the problem of teaching people (mainly kids from a young age) the proper way to eat and make choices for themselves.

Exactly why punish everyone? Tax junk food, but reduce the tax on healthy foods.

Make obese people pay the taxes responsible for their health care.

----

I agree with you about Education, there should be nutritional classes in elementary school.

However I disagree with you about taxing and banning, done right it does help. e.g. Alcohol above 40% is banned in Canada, but not USA, and we have a significantly lower alcohol abuse problem. We also have more institutions dealing with addiction and stuff, but the 40% ban definatly does more help then harm.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

Well I know the high price of junk food does work as a deterant for me, but I hear that's not common.

LOL, well what about restaurants. Most items would not be labeled high fat/salt/sugar, but a few things would. Would it not help guide people to healthier alteratives? As for fast food, this still helps quite a bit. You know how places like McDonalds, or Wendy's have those cheap "healthy" snack wraps? Guess what, the amount of salt in them greatly exceeds that of a big mac. I didn't know that until I took a good look at the nutrition menu, and I'm sure most don't.

For fast food, I think extreme cases should be labeled. e.g. Sweet Onion Chicken Teriaki and Subway. It's salt content is above the daily recommended intake for a 6 inch. lol.

Eating Nutritionally doesn't mean you don't enjoy your food LOL. There are plenty of burger joints which taste much much better then McDonalds and are a lot healthier.

Man you really hate salt. I salt everything from burgers to mashed potatoes.

I don't believe labeling things like that as "WARNING: HIGH SALT/FAT CONTENT" will help at all. Most people will find it amusing more than a serious health risk. Most people only eat out occasionally and are generally pretty healthy and the fat ones don't care. People eat what they want, regardless. 

Tax, labels, whatever isn't going to help IMO.