By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2 is "barely mediocre"? (According to Surfer Girl it is...)

What she says about Insomniac and GG sounds completely reasonable and in the environment of corporate politics, very very likely.

Think about it, Insomniac is currently one of the very few companies that really are delivering good and well selling games on the PS3. Resistance is currently one of the best sellers regardless of being bundled.

And yet they see Sony giving this company which produced a mediocre prequel (KZ) tons and tons of money to make what they're hyping as the best/most expensive game ever. I would be pretty pissed if I was them too. Even people here see it, there's little justification for the amount of money they've given GG compared to their historical performance. With that amount of money, Insomniac could've produced another 2-4 good games prolly.

Around the Network

I wouldn't doubt for one second that Killzone 2 will be a mediocre game. I doubt that Surfergirl has any basis for what she claims though. If someone credible comes forward and says something then I will believe it, but until that happens I am not going to just base my judgments on their previous work.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I dont think Surfer Girl has been to Netherland lately......

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Hmm well I don't judge a book or game by its cover or in this case graphics, Killzone 2 looks amazing, but if it goes anything like Killzone 1 it's not going to be fun.

Funfact: In the future humans can no longer jump!

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

doh, double post

Around the Network

We've seen nearly nothing about Killzone 2 so far. Maybe in late 2008 or early 2009 when we start getting some real media and real information we can draw a little clearer picture of what the game will be like.

It's not my type of game, so I couldn't give two shakes, really. But it's definitely too early to get all excited for or against the game.

I'm not saying that I believe Surfer Girl or anything, but I've always expected that Killzone 2 will be mediocre at best. It just looks like another "me too" shooter. The game doesn't even look good IMO - it's just....brown...nothing else....

Considering the previous killzone games, she's probably right

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Taken from the insomniac games section of wikipedia concernig other sony 1st party companies...to get the jist just read the bolded.

Naughty Dog

Insomniac has had a close relationship with fellow developer Naughty Dog from when they worked together in the same building on a Universal Studios backlot. Insomniac borrowed an engine from Naughty Dog, which was used in the original Ratchet and Clank game, and was modified upon for the each later PS2 releases. They make games that are similar in style, which sometimes contain references to each other (as seen in secret Jak 3 gun courses and the start-up menu in Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, as well as on posters in some levels.). Demos for one company's games often appear on the other's releases. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! contained a demo of Crash Team Racing, for example. Also, Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank series utilized some technology from Naughty Dog's Jak and Daxter games. Because of their friendship, many fans have wondered if the two companies would collaborate on a game. However, they have, in the past, publicly stated that they don't have plans for making a game together, although both Jak II and Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando featured billboard cameos of each others heroes (and a scene in Going Commando shows Ratchet playing both his games, both Jak games, and Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus). This is taken one step further in Jak X: Combat Racing and Ratchet: Deadlocked as both feature Ratchet and Jak respectively as unlockable skins/characters.

Sucker Punch

Insomniac also shares some sort of relationship with Sucker Punch Productions due to Sucker Punch being listed in the credits list of Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, and Deadlocked. Sucker Punch is known for its Sly Cooper franchise. Given the three companies' close ties to Sony Computer Entertainment and the fact that all three created platform games for the PS2, they have always been associated together. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal even has a Sly 2: Band of Thieves demo in it, if the player presses R1, R2, L1, and L2 at the same time at the "Load Game" screen.

High Impact Games

High Impact Games is a newer company formed by ex-Insomniac staff, so far they have released Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters and are currently developing Secret Agent Clank, a sequel and interquel, both on the PSP.

Other companies

Insomniac has stated that some of Sony's development teams are starting to develop closer relationships and are sharing technology and ideas. Naughty Dog also credits various first- and second-party developers of Sony in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

We have seen actual gameplay from Killzone, and it looked pretty solid to me. There may be some politics going on in the dev studios, etc, but you could have said the same thing about Bungie, which left Microsoft shortly after the release of Halo 3.

I call BS because my eyes have told me otherwise. Killzone 2 looked pretty bitching. They may have trouble getting it out by the end of the year though, but we will see.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson