By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 1st year= wii 1st year in sales?(europe)

Looking at the latest sales numbers and ofcouse the latest charts, the ps3 has an equivalent amount of sales as the wii did in this point of its lifetime! Wow, I did not see this coming from the ps3 especially a console that cost significantly more..

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Europe&cons2=PS3&reg2=Europe&cons3=X360&reg3=Europe&weeks=156

This should change soon as you can see by the trend, but interesting to say the least.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network

that conclusion is obviously an artifact of the holiday season not lining up between the two consoles. i guess it's sort of interesting but only in the way that it allows for some serious cherry picking.

Kind of surprising. However, that counts holiday sales for the PS3, but not the Wii right?

Wow, wouldn't of expected that, but you have to keep in mind that the Wii sales where affected by short supplies.

But those are still great numbers for the PS3

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

It counts the holiday the Wii launched, but I think that it would be huge for Sony if it were to happen.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

i think more interesting is the comparison of the ps3 to the 360 in that graph. then compare them in America.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&weeks=156

Um only if it can sell 800,000 more units in 7 more weeks haha. Otherwise I don't think so Tim. But closer than most would have thought.

well it is what it is. Ps3 luanch in march 07 for europe and was pretty big in sales for the first month. Wii with 2 holiday season ps3 with 1.
the sustained sales without holidays season wont match the wii. but overall both ps3 and wii out selling 360 consistantly

it's nice to see europe embrace the Wii and PS3 imo.

they go hand in hand.

grimygunz said:
well it is what it is. Ps3 luanch in march 07 for europe and was pretty big in sales for the first month. Wii with 2 holiday season ps3 with 1.
the sustained sales without holidays season wont match the wii. but overall both ps3 and wii out selling 360 consistantly

Although Wii had 2 holiday seasons and PS3 only had 1 they kinda level out.  Why?  Well when Wii released in December 06, it was heavily supply constrained meaning it really didn't enjoy any holiday boots.  While PS3 released in Europe with no supply constraints in March.  Meaning it was really just a launch period each and a holiday season.