By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic doesn't consider WiiU next gen

From the Kotaku article about UE4 not coming to WiiU

I figured I'd ask straight-out, so during the Q&A with Rein, I did. "Will UE4 run on the Wii U?"

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter. As the laughs died down, Rein continued: "I mean, sorry, it's not really a correct answer. We're not… we have Unreal Engine 3 for the Wii U. Right? And Unreal Engine 3 is powering all kinds of amazing games, still lots of games are being made with Unreal Engine 3. We announced today about a new Unreal Engine 3 license. Unreal Engine 3 doesn't disappear because of Unreal Engine 4. But our goal for Unreal Engine 4 console-wise is next-gen consoles. That's really what our energies are focused on. If you want to make a Wii U game, we have Unreal Engine 3, and it's powering some of the best games on the Wii U already.

http://kotaku.com/the-wii-u-wont-be-getting-unreal-engine-4-462919060

It doesn't seem like they consider WiiU to be next gen.

Around the Network

How come you only post bad news for wii u? Im starting to figure you out Turkish!

tbone51 said:
How come you only post bad news for wii u? Im starting to figure you out Turkish!

Its not bad news, the article says there are still UE3 games being made!

Man, Epic sure is the only important voice in the industry. If they say something, it MUST be true. Forget all the factors that make Wii U an indisputably next-gen console, I believe a single guy at Epic over actual facts.

Turkish said:
tbone51 said:

Its not bad news, the article says there are still UE3 games being made!

hmmmmm........ Not Sure if Serious O.o LOL!

Around the Network

We know, it was already posted.

Someone please lock this thread. This is pathetic from you.

This thread wasn't really necessary, but I guess it is considered news.

the_dengle said:
Man, Epic sure is the only important voice in the industry. If they say something, it MUST be true. Forget all the factors that make Wii U an indisputably next-gen console, I believe a single guy at Epic over actual facts.

no not the only important voice but one of the most important. you just have to check the list of unreal engine 3 games and if this will be at least half of that with the unreal engine 4 you can count already out a huge number of games for wii u even if some developers would like to release their games also on wii u.

Epic clearly has a few problems with Nintendo. I mean, when they can port their engine to an iPhone 3GS, there's no excuse for NOT porting it to Wii U.