By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart Wii: Snaking Confirmed/Playable Baby Peach and Boo!(more inside)

Online mode on MKDS was not as much fun as people though it would be due to all the snaking and if that's the case this time around then this game will not be as fun as Nintendo claims it to be.

At the Nintendo E3 2007 Conference, Reggie said that a beginner kart racer will be able to keep up with a kart veteran or something like that. That maybe true if the veteran doesn't snake. Beginners aren't gonna know what snaking is and if they do then they'll know what to expect and that the game will be no fun at all. At least the online portion anyways. Heck, most people that played MKDS didn't even know what snaking was. I didn't and I played MK since the 64 days and played the SNES version a few times at my friends house.

Now if the online mode didn't have the online stats (Wins/Loses, etc.) similar to how Smash is doing it maybe snaking will be a thing of the past and we all could just play for fun. Although that takes the competitiveness out of the game, at least EVERYONE will be able to enjoy it.

All I'm saying is that snaking makes that game boring (like several people in this thread has already mentioned) and that the game won't be as fun to those who are new to the game. Hopefully the motion-sensing that'll be used in the game will ease this technique for everyone.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Around the Network

I thought Nintendo said (at one point in time) that Snaking was an intended gameplay mechanic but they thought that they made it too easy in Mario Kart DS ... If they made it difficult enough and added a level of 'risk' for attempting it and failing it wouldn't be too bad.

Nintendo dismisses Mario Kart rumours.
Nintendo has told Eurogamer the latest rumours to emerge about Mario Kart Wii are nothing more than speculation.

Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=91606

Opinion: Good old Nintendo creating hype through anti-hype:) 

Wii code:                                        Mario Kart wii:
6586-0674-1620-6955                        0344-9880-0252
PM me if you added me and I'll add you:)

Self-proclaimed, biggest Resident Evil Fanboy of VGChartz!

Slash said:

Nintendo has told Eurogamer the latest rumours to emerge about Mario Kart Wii are nothing more than speculation.

So they made it all up?

GRR! Fuck that Goddamn lying Nmag, for causing all this drama, imo!!!!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

I wanna go kill myself with a bomb strapped to me at NMag HQ. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I'm sure it will be fine.

I figure if they wanted to fix it, why not have it so that drifting keeps your straight line speed in a corner (thus driving a straight line is as fast as snaking) but if you go round a corner without drifting you slow down more.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Slash said:

So they made it all up?

GRR! Fuck that Goddamn lying Nmag, for causing all this drama, imo!!!!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

I wanna go kill myself with a bomb strapped to me at NMag HQ.

Guess they got a good tip from an insider or something but not directly from Nintendo.

Nintendo is not dening it so could be true.  

Wii code:                                        Mario Kart wii:
6586-0674-1620-6955                        0344-9880-0252
PM me if you added me and I'll add you:)

Self-proclaimed, biggest Resident Evil Fanboy of VGChartz!

Personally, I think the whole series went downhill as soon as they introduced different karts. It got even worse when it became impossible for the person in first place to get anything besides bananas and trap boxes. I like DS because it's a portable version that at least FEELS like the N64 version, but the item occurrences are still way too rough on the first place people. I've actually won a few races simply by deliberately staying in second place so I got better item choices to harass the first place driver with.

Maybe instead of making it less likely to get good items, it just becomes less effective to use them when you're in first place. Like mushrooms don't boost you for as long, and the lightning doesn't shrink everyone else for as long as it would if you were in last place. The items would still be effective if used carefully, but it would also make it easier for people in last place to catch up.

Maybe I'll just become a griefer, I'll let the first place driver lap me and then beat on him with red shells and stuff all over the place when he comes around the next time. especially if he's snaking.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Complaining because you can't casually beat expert players online with luck based powerups isn't exactly in the best interest of the people who will be playing Mario Kart online the most, nor is it in your interest to have a shallower game and relegate it to casual online play, due to its lack of meaningful advanced techniques.

See here is my problem with snaking summed up in your defense of it. There are not a ton of advanced techniques necessary to be competitive online. There is one technique. That is no better than just having items determine the outcome for me. The game online is extremely shallow currently. It comes down to how well you can snake, and nothing more.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
Complaining because you can't casually beat expert players online with luck based powerups isn't exactly in the best interest of the people who will be playing Mario Kart online the most, nor is it in your interest to have a shallower game and relegate it to casual online play, due to its lack of meaningful advanced techniques.

See here is my problem with snaking summed up in your defense of it. There are not a ton of advanced techniques necessary to be competitive online. There is one technique. That is no better than just having items determine the outcome for me. The game online is extremely shallow currently. It comes down to how well you can snake, and nothing more.

Indeed. The game lacks the "party" atmosphere that it is supposed to have when snaking. I mean, it is about as boring as Need for Speed when I think about it. The fun, for me, is taken out of the game with snaking. This is why my online sessions with Mario Kart DS were limited.

I do know how to snake, honestly; I really do, but doing so takes away from the things that I find make the game special.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Gnizmo said:

Indeed. The game lacks the "party" atmosphere that it is supposed to have when snaking. I mean, it is about as boring as Need for Speed when I think about it. The fun, for me, is taken out of the game with snaking. This is why my online sessions with Mario Kart DS were limited.

I do know how to snake, honestly; I really do, but doing so takes away from the things that I find make the game special.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000