By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Woolworths drops HD-DVD

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=180674

"Woolworths (yes, it still exists) has become the first UK retailer to drop HD-DVD from its shelves, leaving Blu-ray as the sole hi-def format on sale in its shops.

The decision was made by Woolworths bosses after Blu-Ray outsold HD-DVD by ten-to-one at its shops over Christmas, which it says is mainly down to the success of the PlayStation
Warner Bros. bailing out of the later format probably had something to do with it as well, we reckon.

"Sales figures clearly show that the market is moving towards one format of high definition DVD," said Woolworths DVD buyer Steven McGunigel.

"The main reason is the success of Sony's PlayStation 3 machine. Because it plays Blu-ray discs, there are over three quarters of a million homes in the UK that can view the new high definition format. There is nowhere near that number of HD-DVD players around.

"Switching to Blu-ray only will provide one clear offer to customers in the format they want to watch high definition movies in."

Woolworths will continue to sell HD-DVD online, but if you want to buy them in the shops you'll have to walk next door... to HMV.

It's not a massive blow for the increasingly bleak-looking format, but if other retailers follow Woolworths' lead it could get even worse for them that bought Xbox 360 HD-DVD players.

UPDATE: Toshiba's European Consumer Products GM, Olivier Van Wynendaele, has offered his comments to CVG:

"We have been hugely successful in expanding the number of consumers owning HD DVD players. UK consumers can now pick-up an HD DVD player for less than £150, around half the cost of other HD formats. Even before pricing reached this level, HD DVD represented more than 60% of the overall standalone high definition market.

"Just as importantly for movie retailers, HD DVD has always enjoyed greater software sales per player than any other HD format. In fact, HD DVD owners have already bought around 3.5 movies each, compared to less than one movie sold per Blu ray device."

I posted this for Toshiba's response at the end. They really put a lot of a twist on this one,

"...compared to less than one movie sold per Blu ray device" I'm assuming that includes the PS3s? "HD DVD represented more than 60% of the overall standalone high definition market" wait, this can't include PS3s, but then, why did they include it in the first quote?

"Just as importantly for movie retailers, HD DVD has always enjoyed greater software sales per player than any other HD format" -and that isn't important if there are far less players sold with a higher attachment rate, blu ray still outsells it in software. and thats what matters.

Around the Network

I bet that by the end of the year, HDDVD will be closed for business. Which is good. I couldn't stand this format war. Now, I may actually buy one, as long as I can get a player for sub-$200.

The end of this 'format war' is finally coming to a close. About time i say. I still dont think either will ever be as popular as DVD though.

Machina-AX said:
I read about this earlier. Woolworths is not at all significant in the grand scheme of things but it is clearly illustrative of the ongoing trend away from HD DVD.

Good job I went Blu-ray (PS3) and not HD DVD. I would be extremely annoyed at the way things are playing out if I were a HD DVD owner/supporter.

I definitely agree. I just thought that Toshiba's response at the end really shows how desperate they are to keep up a good image for HD DVD.

SONY's gamble paid off....

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Did Woolworths mention that they only sold 11 HD films throughout the Christmas period?

I mean, seriously. I'm a Blu-ray supporter, and all that jazz. But Woolworths mean as much to this war as "Happy Shopper".

It also seems as if Circuit City is putting HD DVD players on clearance.

From The Digital Bits:

To get a better sense of how things are going for Toshiba right now, we suggest you visit your local Best Buy and Circuit City stores. Your own experiences may vary, but we're getting regular reports now of low or no HD-DVD player stock at many locations around the country, and we've now gotten many e-mails from employees at both chains saying that they've been told that the players aren't going to be restocked at their stores. Other sites, like 1080living and Format War Central, are reporting this too.

I don't expect the HD DVD camp to admit defeat easily, at least not until they sold (most) remaining players they probably still have in stock.

But really, the format war has been decided and the results were to be expected. I always found it funny how the HD DVD camp wants to exclude the PS3 from their figures when they talk about Blu-Ray players and include it when talking about attach rates. It's as if they mock people's intelligence...

The PS3 can easily be considered one of the best (if not the best) Blu-Ray players on the market. Upgradeable, faster load times and many extras at a cheaper price than most competing Blu-Ray players. So it's best to include the PS3 in all figures.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

end game

makingmusic476 said:

It also seems as if Circuit City is putting HD DVD players on clearance.

From The Digital Bits:

To get a better sense of how things are going for Toshiba right now, we suggest you visit your local Best Buy and Circuit City stores. Your own experiences may vary, but we're getting regular reports now of low or no HD-DVD player stock at many locations around the country, and we've now gotten many e-mails from employees at both chains saying that they've been told that the players aren't going to be restocked at their stores. Other sites, like 1080living and Format War Central, are reporting this too.

maybe Toshiba will take a hint and end this bloody thing already.