By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - is ps3 actually selling better than 360?

considering the variables, is ps3 more successful than 360?

Numbers are Numbers, 360 is doing better. 134 19.12%

Considering the variables... 512 73.04%

These Variables shouldn'... 26 3.71%

Other, please specify! 29 4.14%

Total:701
nnodley said:
bananaking21 said:
nnodley said:
bananaking21 said:

actually the 360 in no way dominated last holiday. it shipped 5.9 million units, while ps2/ps3 shipped 6.8 million. in 2011 Q4 ps2 shipped 500K units. do you really think that this year ps2 managed to double its shipments in the last quarter? no way. ps3 clearly outshipped the 360 last holiday quarter. and its backed up by jack tretton saying that the ps3 is around 77 million about a month back. if the site sales were right, now way would they have been at 77 million sales. 

You better watch out with the bolded.  Some people think because he said that he "thinks" they shipped 77 million that it can't be right.  Even though we know it had to be at 76 million or more at the time he said that.

ohh yeah! i mean thinking is so bad anyways! but what does he know? he is just the CEO

People just don't want to live with the fact that ps3 and 360 have shipped equal amounts.  Or almost equal amounts.

No people are just fed up of "facts" like that which aren't in the least bit factual.  A guess does not equal fact.  When its officially announced in the quarterly reports we will all accept the inevitable, but until then there is no point filling the forums with crap with no proof.  All the evidence shows Microsoft are still ahead, you need to accept this FACT until its proven otherwise.  

Around the Network

PS3 is closing the gap quickly.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
platformmaster918 said:
TimCliveroller said:
dukerx2 said:
Yes the PS3 is selling better and lifetime it will easy out sell the 360. The reason i say that is, MS is already abandoning the 360(games wise) and im sure when the next xbox comes out they will do the same thing they did with the original when 360 came out. Meanwhile Sony will continue to support PS3 for at least the next couple years.

" Meanwhile Sony will continue to support PS3 for at least the next couple years."

How do you kow this? (they just introduced the PS4... are you expecting tons of new games for PS3?; pray to EA for some new sports games.)

who supports legacy the best in the industry?  Who has supported PS1, 2, and P after the launch of their successor?  That's what I thought.  This point is almost beyond (pun intended) debate at this point.

Can you define "supported"?
And explain what they did better (or differently) than Microsoft or other competitors in term of "support" for previous generation?

slowmo said:
nnodley said:
bananaking21 said:
nnodley said:
bananaking21 said:

actually the 360 in no way dominated last holiday. it shipped 5.9 million units, while ps2/ps3 shipped 6.8 million. in 2011 Q4 ps2 shipped 500K units. do you really think that this year ps2 managed to double its shipments in the last quarter? no way. ps3 clearly outshipped the 360 last holiday quarter. and its backed up by jack tretton saying that the ps3 is around 77 million about a month back. if the site sales were right, now way would they have been at 77 million sales. 

You better watch out with the bolded.  Some people think because he said that he "thinks" they shipped 77 million that it can't be right.  Even though we know it had to be at 76 million or more at the time he said that.

ohh yeah! i mean thinking is so bad anyways! but what does he know? he is just the CEO

People just don't want to live with the fact that ps3 and 360 have shipped equal amounts.  Or almost equal amounts.

No people are just fed up of "facts" like that which aren't in the least bit factual.  A guess does not equal fact.  When its officially announced in the quarterly reports we will all accept the inevitable, but until then there is no point filling the forums with crap with no proof.  All the evidence shows Microsoft are still ahead, you need to accept this FACT until its proven otherwise.  

OMG, I don't care.  No, there is no official release of the numbers, but like I said when he said that they were more than likely at 76 million or a little more.   I guess you didn't read my last sentence where I put "Or almost equal amounts."  I actually edited that in because I figured someone would not like that I said they are at equal amounts.  Got to cater to everyone nowadays.  I think your fooling yourself if you think Jack Tretton doesn't have some sort of info on ps3 shipments.  

Oh and I'm not replying back after this.  Hate pointless arguments.

Imaginedvl said:
platformmaster918 said:
TimCliveroller said:
dukerx2 said:
Yes the PS3 is selling better and lifetime it will easy out sell the 360. The reason i say that is, MS is already abandoning the 360(games wise) and im sure when the next xbox comes out they will do the same thing they did with the original when 360 came out. Meanwhile Sony will continue to support PS3 for at least the next couple years.

" Meanwhile Sony will continue to support PS3 for at least the next couple years."

How do you kow this? (they just introduced the PS4... are you expecting tons of new games for PS3?; pray to EA for some new sports games.)

who supports legacy the best in the industry?  Who has supported PS1, 2, and P after the launch of their successor?  That's what I thought.  This point is almost beyond (pun intended) debate at this point.

And explain what they did better (or differently) than Microsoft or other competitors in term of "support" for previous generation?

giving games like GoW2 and Persona 3 and 4 after PS3 launch.  Giving PS3 games like GoW, LoU, Beyond, Rain, Puppeteer, and possibly GT6 late/after its time in the limelight.  Also they put a lot of PSP games on PS2 after PS3 launch.  Just look at the PSP games in Japan to see how they support that.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

So now people use personal hunches as evidence. Sounds very sensate. Way to go VGC.

platformmaster918 said:
Imaginedvl said:
platformmaster918 said:
TimCliveroller said:
dukerx2 said:

giving games like GoW2 and Persona 3 and 4 after PS3 launch.  Giving PS3 games like GoW, LoU, Beyond, Rain, Puppeteer, and possibly GT6 late/after its time in the limelight.  Also they put a lot of PSP games on PS2 after PS3 launch.  Just look at the PSP games in Japan to see how they support that.

Persona = insignificant in the grand scale of things (no offense intended to the fans). The PS3 games you listed are coming in the near future... What happens after that? PS2 support = classic copies of a great game library.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Barozi said:
Microsoft offered a 3 years warranty. So most consoles that broke where covered and got either repaired, replaced or even both.

While I believe that many people would rather just buy a new one than pay for the repair, I don't think that many would just ignore the warranty.

On the other hand, many early PS3s broke due to YLOD and that only recently (a few years ago). None of them where covered.

Now you have lots of broken 360 where a high percentage was covered by warranty vs. a lower number of broken PS3s that had no warranty left.
They probably offset each other.

Still sources say was like 50%  for early 360s and 15% for early PS3s. Not only that if your 700$ PS3 broke, I do not think they would rebuy another PS3 unless they were rich. I think most broken PS3 owners bought a 360. While in reverse a 400$ 360 would be a lot easier to buy another 360 then buy a 700$ PS3 instead. All PS3s as far as I know came with the standard 1 year warranty. So your statement in the 3rd line is just false.

Of the roughly 15-20 personal friends of mine with 360's, they've literally all had RROD and ended up purchasing new 360s. This obviously doesn't represent the industry, but thats 15-20 unnecessary sales that m$ made because of their shit hardware.

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

PureDante said:
Of the roughly 15-20 personal friends of mine with 360's, they've literally all had RROD and ended up purchasing new 360s. This obviously doesn't represent the industry, but thats 15-20 unnecessary sales that m$ made because of their shit hardware.

And I don't know a single PS3 owner who didn't go out and buy a new console when theirs got the YLOD. It's just easier than dealing with $ony and paying their repair costs.

If the 360 truly has this monstrous amount of rebuys, wouldn't their software be closer to PS3? Yet the attach rate is higher. And it gets even higher if you start factoring in these people who supposedly rebuy a lot of consoles.

Why don't PS3 owners play games? :(