By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 vs PC: A bit of a Showdown!

PS4 Demo vs NVIDIA (PC) Demo

Quantic Dream's Demo (PS4) 128 50.20%

NVIDIA's Demo (GTX Titan) 124 48.63%

Total:252

The eyes really stand out in Cages demo, but the NVIDIA demo seems more life like. Neither did hair very well. Well, Cages did poor hair modeling and NIVDIA's didn't do hair at all. The NVIDIA eyebrows just look like two smudges and kind of takes away from the model.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
They both creep me out and fall deeply into the Uncanny Valley. But the Nvidia demo is far more lifelike, just not lifelike enough to be mistaken for life.

I disagree regarding David Cage's demo. That one doesn't creep me out at all. The NVIDIA demo looks a little more real, so I can see it there. 

Now, onto the question, which of them do you prefer? I'd like an answer from people who post.

I told you. The Nvidia demo is far more lifelike. So yeah, it's the one I prefer.

As for the creep factor. For me they both are squarely in the Uncanny Valley. The Quantic Dreams one is so unlike a real human face, in both shape and texture, that I really don't see why it impressed so many people. The facial animation is pretty good, but Nvidia's animation and details are so much better that it makes the Qunatic Dreams old man look like a wax doll. The old man is deep in the uncanny valley with no hope to get out, the Nvidia demo is futily climbing up the other side of the valley wall. Niether are close enough to photorealism to be anything but impressive on a technical level. As far as simulating the human face, they do it better than previous real time demos, but no so much better as to make anyone believe they are looking at a fellow human.

Well, just because you think something looks more "life-like" doesn't necessarily mean you would prefer it, but you clarified, now, so I got it.

Anywho, as far as The Uncany Valley goes,you are using it in the wrong context. I haven't heard many people say that old man "repulses" them in the way I've heard about the NVIDIA demo. To me, that one is MUCH further in the Valley. The old man looks more 3-dimensional and isn't repulsive, despite not looking as real (it's Uncharted characters vs Heavy Rain characters). The latter were much more Uncanny, despite the Uncharted characters looking far less realistic.

The old man has just as dead of eyes as every photorealistic attempt I've ever seen. The little micro animations help, but the eyes don't look alive. The Nvidia demo has a slightly different glossy reflection on the eyes that I agree is less appealing than the old man's eyes, but the animation and detail make it far more lifelike.

As for the uncanny valley. I'm using it right. It's not just about repulsion. It's about looking at a thing prettending to be human and not liking it. It doesn't have to be a plastic skinned robot that makes you run for the hills. The old man and the Nvidia demo attempt to be photorealistic, fall short, and end up creepy because they look human but inhuman at the same time. For me the old man is creepier.

Here's the actual actor for the Cage tech demo:

The PS5 Exists. 

My short point of view.

NVIDIA texture wise looks more natural hands down.

PS4 old guy probably looks a bit more alive, but my guess is because he has a wrinkly saggy face so more jiggling bits lol.

Honestly, it seems like I see these same old dude's face demos every couple of years and very little from them is reflected in actual games I play and see. That said, I'd choose Nvidia's over the PS4 demo, though they're closer than one would expect given the hardware difference.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
They both creep me out and fall deeply into the Uncanny Valley. But the Nvidia demo is far more lifelike, just not lifelike enough to be mistaken for life.

I disagree regarding David Cage's demo. That one doesn't creep me out at all. The NVIDIA demo looks a little more real, so I can see it there. 

Now, onto the question, which of them do you prefer? I'd like an answer from people who post.

I told you. The Nvidia demo is far more lifelike. So yeah, it's the one I prefer.

As for the creep factor. For me they both are squarely in the Uncanny Valley. The Quantic Dreams one is so unlike a real human face, in both shape and texture, that I really don't see why it impressed so many people. The facial animation is pretty good, but Nvidia's animation and details are so much better that it makes the Qunatic Dreams old man look like a wax doll. The old man is deep in the uncanny valley with no hope to get out, the Nvidia demo is futily climbing up the other side of the valley wall. Niether are close enough to photorealism to be anything but impressive on a technical level. As far as simulating the human face, they do it better than previous real time demos, but no so much better as to make anyone believe they are looking at a fellow human.

Well, just because you think something looks more "life-like" doesn't necessarily mean you would prefer it, but you clarified, now, so I got it.

Anywho, as far as The Uncany Valley goes,you are using it in the wrong context. I haven't heard many people say that old man "repulses" them in the way I've heard about the NVIDIA demo. To me, that one is MUCH further in the Valley. The old man looks more 3-dimensional and isn't repulsive, despite not looking as real (it's Uncharted characters vs Heavy Rain characters). The latter were much more Uncanny, despite the Uncharted characters looking far less realistic.

The old man has just as dead of eyes as every photorealistic attempt I've ever seen. The little micro animations help, but the eyes don't look alive. The Nvidia demo has a slightly different glossy reflection on the eyes that I agree is less appealing than the old man's eyes, but the animation and detail make it far more lifelike.

As for the uncanny valley. I'm using it right. It's not just about repulsion. It's about looking at a thing prettending to be human and not liking it. It doesn't have to be a plastic skinned robot that makes you run for the hills. The old man and the Nvidia demo attempt to be photorealistic, fall short, and end up creepy because they look human but inhuman at the same time. For me the old man is creepier.

Well, I agree to disagree, and from the soundss of it, many more side with me on this one. The old man isn't repulsive and his eyes definitely have more life to them, which help avoid that. And no, The Uncanny Valley is not about "looking at a thing prettending to be human and not liking it", it's much more in-depth than that (I studied it for years and still do). But, that's another topic for another day.

The uncanny valley is a loosely defined concept, not a set of rules of evaluation. A cartoon can look like a person without being realistic, but if I find a human simulation creepy like I do the old man and the Nvidia demo than I can legitimately call them examples of the uncanny valley. A horrible plastic robot with twitchy eyes is worse, but since the uncanny valley is ALL about personal response to the simulation of a person there can be disagreement on what's creepy and falls into the uncanny valley.

Seriously who even needs "animated" faces? Do it like LA noire. Best way to do it and it even looks amazing on ps360's "crappy" graphics.

I like the PS4 guy more. The eyes look so much better.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

That 8800 GTX demo looks much more realistic. Both look like cartoons anyway, but Nvidia demo is more lifelike than the PS4 one.

I'm not stupid. The Nvidia one going by the numbers is better. Going by the image though, it just can't compete. It looks really uncanny because it has near perfect animation yet is not near perfect visually. This imbalence really messes with it. Kind of like rotoscoped drawings. Also Cage has emotion while Nvidia is doing random over the top animations.