By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - AMD launches Radeon 7790: Meet the Xbox 720 GPU

Netyaroze said:
hinch said:
GameAnalyser said:
Trunkin said:
The new 7790 performs 20-40% better than the 7970? For only $150!? My God! What a steal!

it's just 9 and 7 playing weird games. When Volta GPU arrive they will be put to shame.

Won't be available until 2015.

Thats pretty optimistic. First comes Maxwell early 2014 then Volta. 2016 would be realistic.  

I do beleive that was the announced date, and that's just assuming NVdia doesn't run into any problems... which...

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Its not the "same" GPU in nextbox. Its similar base architecture and format, but like PS4, it will be in APU which means it gets downclocked and is basically their 'low-power low-cost' or mobile variant.

Of course some of you will argue that because you don't understand the term 'mobile' and that it does not equate to phones... just not 'desktop'.

This part of the article shows partly what I mean, "Durango GPU isn’t a perfect match for the HD 7790. Durango has 12 CUs for a total of 768 cores instead of the 14 CUs (896 cores) that the HD 7790 has".

All evidence and rumours point to the PS4 GPU being a desktop 7850/7870  variant. Not sure where you came on the mobile idea....

Thats why its quite an accomplishment for AMD to have done what they did with the PS4 APU.

I could be wrong, but theres just no evidence what so ever to support your claim. If it was based on the mobile gpu then i think we would have heard the rumours of the gpu being a 7970M variant. Which we really havnt from a reliable source.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
superchunk said:
Its not the "same" GPU in nextbox. Its similar base architecture and format, but like PS4, it will be in APU which means it gets downclocked and is basically their 'low-power low-cost' or mobile variant.

Of course some of you will argue that because you don't understand the term 'mobile' and that it does not equate to phones... just not 'desktop'.

This part of the article shows partly what I mean, "Durango GPU isn’t a perfect match for the HD 7790. Durango has 12 CUs for a total of 768 cores instead of the 14 CUs (896 cores) that the HD 7790 has".

All evidence and rumours point to the PS4 GPU being a desktop 7850/7870  variant. Not sure where you came on the mobile idea....

Thats why its quite an accomplishment for AMD to have done what they did with the PS4 APU.

I could be wrong, but theres just no evidence what so ever to support your claim. If it was based on the mobile gpu then i think we would have heard the rumours of the gpu being a 7970M variant. Which we really havnt from a reliable source.

Only the evidence that every other APU they have ever built has CPU and GPUs that are their mobile variants... in other words the "low-cost low-power usage" models. Just becaue the 4 numbers are the same, doesn't mean it is the same chip.