By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U price cut hasn't improved sales enough, says retailer

Big bad nextbox and ps4 r a coming soon, nintendo better get all the sales it can before lol

Around the Network

I think the main problem here is the perception of the device. It looks too much like an addon for the Wii. And it doesn't help that marketing for the Wii U has been utter failure on Nintendo's part. Why not name it Wii 2 or Wii HD.. At least the general public would know its an entirely new console.

Then there's the advertising.. I mean who the hell would want to buy one after watching this -

sales2099 said:
AgentZorn said:
sales2099 said:
Otakumegane said:
Well DUH.

It has no gamez.

Well not necessarily. It could have in theory coasted on its launch lineup and Mario U for a year. Much like how PS3 coasted until MGS4 in 2008 and sold on brand name alone.

I doubt most peopler even knows Mario U is in the works. We do because we actively follow gamming related news, but  the average consumer will not know until its advertised or released in stores.

No im talking about the launch Mario U title, which has been advertised as the premier title with the WiiU for months. It just never energized the public like the Wii version did for some reason.

The attachment ratio for that game is good, but I guess it's not enough to make someone spend $300 just to play it.

hinch said:

I think the main problem here is the perception of the device. It looks too much like an addon for the Wii. And it doesn't help that marketing for the Wii U has been utter failure on Nintendo's part. Why not name it Wii 2 or Wii HD.. At least the general public would know its an entirely new console.

Then there's the advertising.. I mean who the hell would want to buy one after watching this -

Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that the clip ends with the opening of a Xperia commercial?

I just don't think the Wii U has a large audience to sell to. It doesn't have the gimmicky motion controller that made the Wii such an instant hit with the masses - many of whom have now moved over to the smartphone/tablet market - and with the HD twins' successors coming out later this year, the core gamers (the 'average joe' kind that only buys one console) obviously are not going to flock to the system.

It's all about the game.

Around the Network

maybe the problem isn't the price..
people just don't see any reason to get a WiiU, some of them don't even know what a wiiU is

Dear ShopTo, if you're not hearing anything back from Nintendo on your price-cut right now, it's probably because it makes no damn sense.

When you do a price-cut, you do it in conjunction with high profile games and a serious add campaign. That way it looks official rather than desperate and it has new eye-candy to show off and promote. Does anyone think it a coincidence that Sony cut the Vita in Japan during a flurry of game releases that included one of its biggest titles yet along with a ton of advertising?

Seriously, you should have kept selling at a normal price and waited for support from Nintendo after the official announcement.

The Wii u wasn't really that greatly advertised. I didn't even know what the consoles looked like except for the game pad. Did anyone else not now?

Mummelmann said:
hinch said:

Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that the clip ends with the opening of a Xperia commercial?

Yeah, I noticed that aswell lol

SALES = Massive ad push(New game releases + $50 Price cut)