By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony dropping th 80GB in favor of 120-160GB with Dual Shock 3

Of course there is reason for a bigger hard disk drive. Think about all those people upgrading their current ones. PS3 is not JUST a gaming platform, it's a media center, and that requires more disk space. PS3 one of the first actually useful media centers (MS media center is a joke. I have both so I actually have some experience).

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Aj_habfan said:
twesterm said:
Aj_habfan said:
twesterm said:
If they do discontinue the 80GB and introduce a bigger model they would be idiots to not include BC.

but they would also be idiots to raise it's price.

Even if they raise the storage it's still cheap enough they're not going to raise the price.

So they are going to raise it's storage for no reason? Unless it came with a price drop, it would be pointless and a waste of their money.

It's not pointless though, it's simple PR spin.

1. We're dropping the 80GB model, get it while you can! OMG!
  2. 80GB is supply constrained and we've shipped all we're going to ship, you better get it now if you want BC!
  3. We're introducing the 120GB model with BC for the same price the 80GB was.  AWESOME!
All three three steps boost sales while increasing something that really doesn't increase cost much at all.  It's a complete win situation for Sony.

That didn't really do much with the 60GB, and this would cause more confusion with customers. I really think this one would have no B/C, it makes more sense for Sony.

boycop said:
Of course there is reason for a bigger hard disk drive. Think about all those people upgrading their current ones. PS3 is not JUST a gaming platform, it's a media center, and that requires more disk space. PS3 one of the first actually useful media centers (MS media center is a joke. I have both so I actually have some experience).

Nobody is not buying a PS3 because they think it won't have enough space, 80GB is more then any other console offers and it is fine for the average consumer.

I doubt it will have B/C..........I'm glad I got the 60gig.

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
All VGCharterz welcome!!!
PSN: Al_Kickurass, Official Warhawk League Thread!!!-> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937
Aj_habfan said:
boycop said:

Nobody is not buying a PS3 because they think it won't have enough space, 80GB is more then any other console offers and it is fine for the average consumer.

First, Sony has bigger plans for the the PS3, that they have not anounced, and all that's going to need more disk space.

Secondly, 80 is not much, you evaluation is based on your your current needs TODAY, not what other people already do with their ps3. Do you even have/use a PS3?

Imagine:
-games (online purchase, current and future, local storage for faster games): 10-50 GB, at least
-music libary 10-20 GB
-photos and other digital camera stuff, vidoes:  10-40 GB
-new stuff coming from sony and others 0-50 GB

That easily counts to 120+ GB.

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

Around the Network

Why would they raise the price? They aren't Microsoft. :)

Maybe Sony is finally ready to release Home, and that might use up pretty large storage space, this would justify that.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

this would be sensible for sony, they are trying to push the media side of the ps3 so more storage makes more sense - be nice for ps3 owners and potential purchasers to have thier dualshock back as well

boycop said:
Aj_habfan said:
boycop said:

First, Sony has bigger plans for the the PS3, that they have not anounced, and all that's going to need more disk space.

Secondly, 80 is not much, you evaluation is based on your your current needs TODAY, not what other people already do with their ps3. Do you even have/use a PS3?

Imagine:
-games (online purchase, current and future, local storage for faster games): 10-50 GB, at least
-music libary 10-20 GB
-photos and other digital camera stuff, vidoes:  10-40 GB
-new stuff coming from sony and others 0-50 GB

That easily counts to 120+ GB.

That's nice, but that's not what people are thinking when buying a console. That stuff is extra.

I remember an old rumor from several months ago:

• Code: CECHG06 (SPECIFICATION)
  • Sony PlayStation 3
  • 160gb 2.5 SATA 5400rpm HDD
  • CELL Broadband Engine (65nm process) @ 3.2ghz
  • PPU x1, SPE x8
  • RSX GPU (65nm process) @ 550mhz
  • Blu-Ray Optical Disc Drive @ 2x
  • Memory Card Reader- Memory Stick Duo, Compact Flash, Secure
  • Digital
  • 6x USB 2.0 ports
  • 2x HDMI 1.3 ports