By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony dropping th 80GB in favor of 120-160GB with Dual Shock 3

Yes, it's probably true that the 80gb is dropped, but replaced by a better one,

120-160 GB with Dual Shock 3. That some good news, if it turns out to be true:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/01/27/mole-80gb-ps3-dead-120-160gb-with-dual-shock-3-incoming

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

Around the Network

arstechnica is pretty respectable, if this turns out to be true, it's good for Sony

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I don't see the point unless it has no B/C.

It would only be good news if it has BC, otherwise I wouldn't think of getting. I would just opt for the 40G and buy a bigger hard drive myself.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

If they do discontinue the 80GB and introduce a bigger model they would be idiots to not include BC.

Around the Network

More rumors and speculation.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

twesterm said:
If they do discontinue the 80GB and introduce a bigger model they would be idiots to not include BC.

but they would also be idiots to raise it's price.

Aj_habfan said:
twesterm said:

Even if they raise the storage it's still cheap enough they're not going to raise the price.

twesterm said:
Aj_habfan said:
twesterm said:

Even if they raise the storage it's still cheap enough they're not going to raise the price.

So they are going to raise it's storage for no reason? Unless it came with a price drop, it would be pointless and a waste of their money.

Aj_habfan said:
twesterm said:
Aj_habfan said:
twesterm said:

So they are going to raise it's storage for no reason? Unless it came with a price drop, it would be pointless and a waste of their money.

It's not pointless though, it's simple PR spin.

1. We're dropping the 80GB model, get it while you can! OMG!
  2. 80GB is supply constrained and we've shipped all we're going to ship, you better get it now if you want BC!
  3. We're introducing the 120GB model with BC for the same price the 80GB was.  AWESOME!
All three three steps boost sales while increasing something that really doesn't increase cost much at all.  It's a complete win situation for Sony.