By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - All PS3s are backward compatible with PS2 software.

Pristine20 said:
PureDante said:
Seems like Sony just wants money, but I'm not phased; even with my 60 GB I don't touch my old ps2 games. Ps2 emulators on PC run the games better ^^.

^this. PCSX2 ftw. With motionjoy, you can use your ps3 controller too. Who cares about HHD collections when a lot of PCs can scale ps2 games to HD very easily

Who needs to wait for FFX HD when you can play every ps2 FF...in HD..lol

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

Around the Network

Old info.

In 2007 the European PS3 (and some 80GB model in US) already used the PS2 emulation to run almost all the PS2 software... there are even a compatibility list in the Sony site.

This the us games list (20GB/60GB = Hardware BC; 80GB = Software Emulation BC): http://us.playstation.com/support/compatiblestatus/index.htm

The 60 GB in Europe uses Software Emulation BC too.

Is this way there was a ps3 update today..?????

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Wtf Sony. Give us the emulator so we can play the games. Now! That is some major bullshit,

fillet said:

You might not believe it but the current emulator Sony uses for PS2 Classics on PSN has just been opened up for people with hacked PS3s to finally support ALL PS2 retail disks, compatibility was expected to be patchy but it seems people have already got top tier graphical games working perfectly with no slowdown (Final Fantasy X). I've done a couple myself, MegaMan X8 working perfect as was as Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

This is NOT using any BC hardware - it's a purely software emulator that runs on PS3 slims and fats, and is what powers "PS2 Classics"

Check out ps3hax.net for those interested.

It looks like around 70-90% of all PS2 games will be fully functioning.

I'm a regular on ps3hax and help out a fair bit and when this dropped a few days ago people were expecting an abysmal compatibility rate, of around 20% or less, now it seems that this is a fully functioning emulator...

Why hasn't it, and why isn't it being released?

nvm, its only for cfw ps3s and not every ps3 can have that

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
Old info.

In 2007 the European PS3 (and some 80GB model in US) already used the PS2 emulation to run almost all the PS2 software... there are even a compatibility list in the Sony site.

This the us games list (20GB/60GB = Hardware BC; 80GB = Software Emulation BC): http://us.playstation.com/support/compatiblestatus/index.htm

The 60 GB in Europe uses Software Emulation BC too.

It's old info that you can now use this emulator on PS3's which didn't have this emulator? Interesting. And the compatibility search isn't really useful: It only shows the name of the game and not the state of the emulation.

The question is why Sony is not making the emulator public.

walsufnir said:

Greed is the only reason I can think of.

Gugerface said:
walsufnir said:

Well, if it is buggy or bad you can get lot of shitstorms by people but if they'd release a list of definitely working games and say "all the other games: try it but we can't guarantee it will work!" everything would be fine.

walsufnir said:
Gugerface said:
walsufnir said:

Well, if it is buggy or bad you can get lot of shitstorms by people but if they'd release a list of definitely working games and say "all the other games: try it but we can't guarantee it will work!" everything would be fine.

Or maybe they could include the list on the emulator and it would run only the games that they know will run. Whatever, give us the emulator now!

Gugerface said:
walsufnir said:
Gugerface said:
walsufnir said:

Or maybe they could include the list on the emulator and it would run only the games that they know will run. Whatever, give us the emulator now!

This is one of the things why I love that gifted people "play" with their bought hardware and don't fear Sony who even got sued by Sony.