By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Lighting Technology Showcased in Stunning New Demo

Following the release of the first technology demo of Enlighten, a next-generation lighting engine for the PlayStation 4 and inevitably the Xbox 720, creator Geomerics has unveiled a second, longer demo showcasing the engine in action.

"With this release, we really focused on simplifying the creation of high-quality lighting for artists working on games across any type of platform," said Geomerics’ head of development, Dr. Graham Hazel on supporting the PS4.

More information and footage pertaining to Enlighten will be depicted during GDC 2013, which commences from March 25th till the 29th.

Around the Network

not impressed to be honest

Thats your average high-end 2010 PC dx11 3Dmark benchmark right there.

I think I've seen more announcements of tech demos and new engines than actual games latelly....

Not impressed and not surprised either.

lol...looks nice. Sounds nice too...

Around the Network

It's running on Unreal Engine and I doubt it's even Unreal Engine 4. It definitely looks nice and far better than anything on PS3 and Xbox 360, but that's to be expected. This may be a PS4 demo, but since it's a multiplatform engine I expect the NextBox and even the Wii U to be able to pull off at least this. I'm sure the PS4 and Next Box will be able to render even better lighting.

the first video looks better, especially because there is a 1080p version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_553995&feature=iv&src_vid=0JvDbyZrlHA&v=wIG2qM476vc

It might not look that impressive in those demos but it will make development a lot easier and leave more time for game play and geometry instead of trying to fake all the lighting and shadows efficiently.

Lafiel said:
the first video looks better, especially because there is a 1080p version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_553995&feature=iv&src_vid=0JvDbyZrlHA&v=wIG2qM476vc

It's a more complex and more beautiful scene, but it still looks like Unreal Engine 3 with a better lighting engine. I expect nothing less when Unreal Engine 4 games start showing up.

lol anyone find it funny that the guys who say they aren't impressed are all nintendo fans?

ot looks nice