By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - External Hard Drive for consoles, is it a problem?

What console storage method is better?

Propietary Internal Hard Drive 20 17.24%

External Hard Drive 41 35.34%

Cloud Storage 5 4.31%

Non-Propietary Internal Hard Drive 50 43.10%

Total:116
dahuman said:
Cheebee said:
I think an external HDD is fine. I actually prefer that over a built-in one.
Now if only my WiiU would consistently regognize it! Quite a few times, it just doesn't recognize my 500GB external HDD, USB Y-cable and all. :(

plug the power end into a phone charger and see how that works, Wii U's USB ports have shit for power.

Thought of that myself, but makes no difference. Sometimes it works flawlessly and recognizes the HDD immediately, a lot of time it just doesn't. :/ I did notice that my WiiU recognizes the HDD more frequently when it's plugged into the front USB-ports, over the ports in the console's back.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Cheebee said:
dahuman said:
Cheebee said:
Now if only my WiiU would consistently regognize it! Quite a few times, it just doesn't recognize my 500GB external HDD, USB Y-cable and all. :(

plug the power end into a phone charger and see how that works, Wii U's USB ports have shit for power.

Thought of that myself, but makes no difference. Sometimes it works flawlessly and recognizes the HDD immediately, a lot of time it just doesn't. :/ I did notice that my WiiU recognizes the HDD more frequently when it's plugged into the front USB-ports, over the ports in the console's back.

hmmm weird, mine just works, the controller in your enclosure might be asking for too much power in that case =/

Booyah said:
kitler53 said:
for me: it would be a minor cosmetic annoyance that would piss me off when i set the thing up and then i'd probably forget about.

for the mass market: the mass market is borderline (technically/electronically) retarded. they want devices that "just work". having an option with a small drive... not that big a deal. having no option for a decent sized drive... that's a bad strategy. i am fully aware of how easy it is to install an external drive but a majority of the market is just scared of anything electronic and won't be able to figure it out without getting frustrated and angry.

Most of those "retards" are probably going to stick with the physical discs then since digital distribution is "scary".

Which isn't necessarily a good thing. Digital Distribution opens up a lot of doors for new experiences for both developers and gamers. If Wii U owners ignore digital distribution, then that's not a good thing.

dahuman said:
Cheebee said:
dahuman said:
Cheebee said:

hmmm weird, mine just works, the controller in your enclosure might be asking for too much power in that case =/

More power than a wall outlet can provide...? o_O

Jay520 said:
Booyah said:
kitler53 said:
for me: it would be a minor cosmetic annoyance that would piss me off when i set the thing up and then i'd probably forget about.

for the mass market: the mass market is borderline (technically/electronically) retarded. they want devices that "just work". having an option with a small drive... not that big a deal. having no option for a decent sized drive... that's a bad strategy. i am fully aware of how easy it is to install an external drive but a majority of the market is just scared of anything electronic and won't be able to figure it out without getting frustrated and angry.

Most of those "retards" are probably going to stick with the physical discs then since digital distribution is "scary".

Which isn't necessarily a good thing. Digital Distribution opens up a lot of doors for new experiences for both developers and gamers. If Wii U owners ignore digital distribution, then that's not a good thing.

I was more commenting on the drawing of the line in the sand of how far the technically "retarded" mass market is willing to go.

Like how the digitally downloading of games is acceptable for them, but the equivalent of buying a bigger memory card is too far beyond their grasp of understanding.

The only problem I have with the scenario is that Nintendo should market their own external HDD's to make it a little easier for all the "retards" out there. 

Around the Network

The thing is Wii U give you tons of options for every tastes. The specs are not meant to please a few, but the most. There will be 8bg of ram on the PS4 but for what reason? games? i don't think so. Maybe 60% of the aount will be for games but the other for things that consume so much ram for the amount of advantages they give you. Of coure, i woud like Wii U to have at least 3gb, 2 for games. But PS4 feel unbalanced, first, cloud storage for digital games, then you have 500gb of hard drive?? for what, if you are going to use cloud?? now, we still don't know what amount of internal memory are they going to use, but everyone is expecting a big one. Redundant systems on the PS4 will make it convoluted without adding results. This is not the aircraft industry that you need reduntant systems, nobody is goint to die if there is just what is needed.

Cheebee said:
dahuman said:
Cheebee said:
dahuman said:
Cheebee said:

More power than a wall outlet can provide...? o_O

phone chargers are voltage regulated to 5v usually, if your drive is not working properly then it's either your Wii U is fucked or your drive enclosure is being a dick.

dahuman said:

phone chargers are voltage regulated to 5v usually, if your drive is not working properly then it's either your Wii U is fucked or your drive enclosure is being a dick.

Hm, I see. Well I'm not a tech guy so I wouldn't know, but I think it's a WiiU problem . I've Googled it a few times and it seems there are quite some people experiencing the same thing, with all sorts of different sorts and brands of drives.

people please stop calling the casual gamer "retards". Most of them are engineers, doctors, graduated people from the best universities that just simply don't have time to play games. In fact most gamers are just so focused on games that they become hermits. Like e, since I came here to study an engineer major from my country in latinamerica i haven't make friends that at least live close to me, so most of the summer and winter holidays i spend them alone, playing games. The reason why i come to forums just to talk about video games frequently.

Seagate 1TB External Drive:

USB2-

USB3-

RAID-0 Enclosure 2 Drives:

USB2-

USB3-

So yeah, USB2 easily breaks 35MB/s while normal HDDs start capping out on USB3 and can't hit full potential on USB3 even in RAID-0, but RAID-0 enclosure is enough for 1080p/60FPS  8bit FRAPS capture though! Other drives are not in formats I can test with unfortunately.