By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ALL marioboys bought SMG and Wii? Or speculations made on SMG and SMS sales

CrazzyMan: Like naznatips said, it's no fun if you just ignore all the arguments you don't like. Both I and Oyvoyvoyv have explained how one can get useful insight into sales trends even if we don't have TOTAL visibility.

Also, you have declined several times to answer my request:

I would like to know if you are basing your whole argument, as it seems to me that you are, on the assumption that "yes, sales are great, but that was all the GAMERS and now they've all bought it and none of the "non-gamer casuals" will buy it." Is that a good summary of your position?

I demand that you answer my question with a "yes" or a "no". You may, AFTER giving a "yes" or a "no", clarify what misconceptions I may have about your position, or add anything else you have to say.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

@Stever89,

Can you prove that casual non-gamers don't buy SMG?

What selling BETTER, wii sport/wii play(after 60 weeks) or SMG(after 12 weeks it reached SMS numbers) in Japan???
It will take some time(SMG only 12-14 weeks here, and haven`t reached sms numbers in usa), before same Wii play still will be oustelling SMG weekly by A LOT.

Also, since the Wii userbase without the "casual non-gamers" would be less than the userbase of the GameCube, that would mean that SMG is selling more (i.i. BETTER) on a console with less users who are willing to buy the game.
Selling better to HARDCORE nintendo fans, BECAUSE MOST of them BOUGHT SMG and Wii.
You GOT THE POINT. BRAVO.
NO matter what usebase will be, mariofans number won`t increase by a lot.

GC - 1 mln hardcore mario fans which bough mario + 4 mln. casual gamers/not mario fans.
Wii - 1mln. hardcore mario fans + 2 mln. casual gamers/not mario fans + 2 mln. non-gamers.

I don't have first week numbers for Ratchet PS2. But I'm sure they were better than PS3 Ratchet first week. I guess there's too many casual non-gamers buying the PS3 as a blu-ray player.
OK.

Higher userbase usually equals higher sales.
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO REPEAT YOU? WII IS NOT SUCH CASE! =))

Do you have any proof of this or is it just your opinion. I only have interest in facts, not opinions.

@Gnizmo, Wii sport/Wii play sales and SMG in Japan.

@Final-Fan,
I would like to know if you are basing your whole argument, as it seems to me that you are, on the assumption that "yes, sales are great, but that was all the GAMERS and now they've all bought it and none of the "non-gamer casuals" will buy it." Is that a good summary of your position?
SMG bought by 80-85% of mario/nintendo fans. Almost ALL mariofans bought Wii and SMG.

If you disagree, you are free to provide some FACTS.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Crazyman please dont pass out when you read this.

Wii will double ps3 lifetime sales.

2008's best selling game will be for Wii.

2008's GOTY will be for Wii

What are you talking about crazy ?

Your opinion doesnt matter, compared to the 120 million ppl who will buy Wii.

Last time I checked Wii's are still sold out while PS3 are plentiful on shelfs.

What are you talking about crazy?

Wii=DS

Many thought DS was too casual (you can obviously see how that turned out)

What is you talking about crazy?

You credibility is non existant. You just give Sony fans a bad rep.

Just take a breather,dust off your ps3 and acually play it.

Hopefully crazyman is this devoted to his family and his significant other.(your ps3 doesnt count)

:)

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

@weezy,
so how many wii will be sold in february and March? =)

SSBB? well, it has chances, it came now.

What game?

About, that SMG bought by 80-85% of mario/nintendo fans. Almost ALL mariofans bought Wii and SMG.

And 150 mln. PS3! Horray. =)

Last time cheked wii cost 250$ and ps3 400$-500$. NOBODY need PS3 for 299$.

PS3 domination? =))

How many 3rd party games crossed 2 mln.?

Developers still will create HD games, no matter how much Wii sells.
6 mln. CoD4 sales?

Wii is not real competitor, it will take some casual gamers, still many of them are on ps2, NOT on wii.

No FACTS, just your opinion.

Play the wii! Nothing to play? =))

LOL. =)

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
@weezy,
so how many wii will be sold in february and March? =)

More than ps3. duh.

MynameisGARY

Around the Network

CrazzyMan said:
@Stever89,

Can you prove that casual non-gamers don't buy SMG?

What selling BETTER, wii sport/wii play(after 60 weeks) or SMG(after 12 weeks it reached SMS numbers) in Japan???

It will take some time(SMG only 12-14 weeks here, and haven`t reached sms numbers in usa), before same Wii play still will be oustelling SMG weekly by A LOT.

All that means is that  a lot of people like WiiSports and WiiPlay.

Also, since the Wii userbase without the "casual non-gamers" would be less than the userbase of the GameCube, that would mean that SMG is selling more (i.i. BETTER) on a console with less users who are willing to buy the game.
Selling better to HARDCORE nintendo fans, BECAUSE MOST of them BOUGHT SMG and Wii.
You GOT THE POINT. BRAVO.
NO matter what usebase will be, mariofans number won`t increase by a lot.

You don't have to be a Mariofans to buy and play SMG. SMG is my first Mario game ever. So if anything, the number of people who buy SMG who aren't Mariofans is 1 up.

GC - 1 mln hardcore mario fans which bough mario + 4 mln. casual gamers/not mario fans.
Wii - 1mln. hardcore mario fans + 2 mln. casual gamers/not mario fans + 2 mln. non-gamers.

I hope you didn't just pull that out of your ass. Link please.

I don't have first week numbers for Ratchet PS2. But I'm sure they were better than PS3 Ratchet first week. I guess there's too many casual non-gamers buying the PS3 as a blu-ray player.
OK.

We agree on something. Thank God.

Higher userbase usually equals higher sales.
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO REPEAT YOU? WII IS NOT SUCH CASE! =))

And why is Wii not such a case? Because you don't want it to?

Do you have any proof of this or is it just your opinion. I only have interest in facts, not opinions.

@Gnizmo, Wii sport/Wii play sales and SMG in Japan.

See above.

@Final-Fan,

SMG bought by 80-85% of mario/nintendo fans. Almost ALL mariofans bought Wii and SMG.

Fact: GameCube sold 21 million WW. Wii sold 21 million in WW in a much smaller timeframe.

Fact: SMS has sold 5.9 million WW. SMG sold 5.5 million WW in much less the time.

Fact: The attach rate is closer to 25%, meaning that if anything, 25% of Wii owners are Mariofans. 

Fact: You better pray that FFVIII and GTA4 have a similar attach rate and sell similar numbers to the previous versions, otherwise it won't bode well for the PS3.

Fact: Pray that after next week the Wii stops selling because it's sold to nearly all of it's "Mariofans" otherwise this year could be another long year for Sony.

I don't even know why I bother.

crazyman didnt respond to this..

"Hopefully crazyman is this devoted to his family and his significant other"

:( im starting to feel bad for him now.

MynameisGARY

CrazzyMan said:
@Final-Fan,

YESORNOYESORNOYESORNOYESORNOYESORNOYESORNOYESORNOYESORNOYESORNO

I hope that wasn't unclear in what I am asking for.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

@Stever89,

All that means is that a lot of people like WiiSports and WiiPlay.
Like THAT much, THAT buy THEM instead of SMG. =))))))))))))))))))
You don't have to be a Mariofans to buy and play SMG. SMG is my first Mario game ever. So if anything, the number of people who buy SMG who aren't Mariofans is 1 up.
BECAUSE MOST of them

Around 1 mln. SMS and SMG sales.
Around 2 mln. Wii Play sales in Japan. and 3 mln. wii sport.
And why is Wii not such a case? Because you don't want it to?
Oh, because YOU WANT TO? =))
Fact: GameCube sold 21.5 million WW. Wii sold 20.5 million in WW in a much smaller timeframe.
GC was pretty same as ps2/xbox, while Wii is DIFFERENT. :)
Fact: SMS has sold 5.9 million WW. SMG sold 5.5 million WW in much less the time.
Because SMG is so awesome game, and will sell another 10-15 mln., RIGHT?
Though, SMG sales DECLINED in Japan after reached SMS numbers. WHY?
Why wii sport/wii play sales are HIGHER? Because, these games better then SMG? Or because these games buy mostly casual non-gamers?
Fact: The attach rate is closer to 25%, meaning that if anything, 25% of Wii owners are Mariofans.
Just like casual non-gamers buy game at FIRST WEEK sales?
They just go to shop, and then buy if fidn something interesting.
FIRST week sales make GAME FANS.
NO?
Fact: You better pray that FFVIII and GTA4 have a similar attach rate and sell similar numbers to the previous versions, otherwise it won't bode well for the PS3.
WHY?
FFXIII will sell over 10 mln. don`t worry.
Fact: Pray that after next week the Wii stops selling because it's sold to nearly all of it's "Mariofans" otherwise this year could be another long year for Sony.
Ok, some NEW DATA will show who was RIGHT. =)

@weezy, i didn`t get the point of what you were writing. What this have to do with SMG sales?

@Final-Fan, NO, That`s NOT a good summary of my position.

THIS one s GOOD.

hehe. I gave it a shot, but there's really no point in trying to argue with Crazzyman. He's basing his whole crazy argument for Mario Galaxy not selling that much better than Mario Sunshine on the fact that Galaxy is on pace to obliterate Sunshine sales outright.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.