By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ALL marioboys bought SMG and Wii? Or speculations made on SMG and SMS sales

SMB (Super Mario Bros) was pack-in wasn't it? Are you talking about NSMB? If so, look here. (http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=New+Super+Mario+Bros+-+DS&reg2=All&game2=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=12&weekly=1)

Now, let's go week to week, ok?

Week one: SMG is launched in Japan, NSMB in NA:

SMG: 260K vs NSMB: 174K.

Week 2: SMG is only Japan, NSMB Japan and NA.

SMG 78 K vs NSMB 1031K

Week 3: Both in Japan and NA

SMG 904K vs NSMB 419K

Week 4:

SMG 604K vs NSMB 373K

Week 5:

385K vs 318K

Week 6: Both launched in Europe

442K vs 281K

Week 7:

557K vs 390K

Week 8: Christmas boost for SMG, no reason to count this, to unfair, anyway:

943K vs 369K

Week 9:

326K vs 303K

Week 11: The typical drop after Christmas for SMG

174K vs 252K

Week 12: Still drop after Christmas:

162K vs 228K

Week 13: Only European Data at the time.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:

@Coglestop,

Actually, the comparison I made is valid, given that the DS had about the same installed base as the Wii when NSMB launched, yet SMG outsold it at 8 weeks.
Actually it`s NOT.
DS has 80 mln. GBA users behind, which jumped from GBA to DS.
Wii has only 21 mln. GC users behind, which atleast 30% of it(mariofans) already jumped to Wii. http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=New+Super+Mario+Bros+-+DS&reg2=All&game2=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii&reg3=Japan&game3=&weeks=40 Do you see the MAIN problem of these graph? DS game numbers were moving at ~40 angle, while SMG is going to 5-10 angle. The Wii game outsold DS in same period, that TOO only shows, that SMG was bough MOSTLY by mariofans, while DS game was bought by both mariofans and non-mariofans through DS lifetime.

So you're saying ONLY GBA owners bought the DS, that there is no overlap between handheld and home console owners and you STILL believe that ONLY Gamecube owners are buying the Wii?  As I said in my previous post, at the time of launch of NSMB, the DS had about the same installed base as the Wii had during the launch of SMG.

NSMB numbers are selling better THIS week, but that's because NA and JP numbers aren't in yet.  LOOK at that graph again, SMG is averaging a HIGHER angle than NSMB was.  Granted, part of this is due to the Christmas rush, but that's not the only reason. 

Let's cut to Crazzyman's agenda. The fact that he calls people who buy Mario to be "Marioboys" means that he probably is not a Mario fan. (wild guess)

Anyways, his point is that everyone who wanted to buy a Wii already has one (or will get one very soon).

Therefore, Wii sales will plateau and well sell close to 0 units per month after it hits ~ 20 million, since the GC's lifetime sales reached ~ 20 million.

Meanwhile, PS3 sales will skyrocket up to 100 million because of games such as: **insert Sony Franchises Here**

That about sums it up right?

Oh and since sales of SMG and SMS are about the same right now, these numbers correlate quite nicely and spell DOOM for nintendo's "wii toy." Though we convienently ignore the fact that even though SMS sold 5.91 million units lifetime, almost 75% of the GCN population didn't own a copy of SMS.

So even if we assume that every marioboy that wants a copy of SMG will get one along with his Wii, that will only account for 5.91 million Wiis. How do we account for the 75% of Wiiboys out there who aren't playing Mario, but still own the console anyways? Is it that 16 million people out there got caught up with the fad. but then forgot to buy Mario?

Hey, I'm going to quote myself. It shows that so far this gen, no games has had its legs.

Well, it is clearly one of the best legged games.

TP, SMG and Mp8 are all the first on the Wii in some of Nintendo's best selling franchises. They launched at about the same time of the year. (well, Mp8 a little earlier) http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Mario+Party+8+-+Wii®2=All&game2=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii®3=All&game3=The+Legend+of+Zelda%3A+Twilight+Princess+-+Wii&weeks=40

Same goes for Mario and Sonic at the olympic games. Everyone agrees this game has great legs, but can it stand up to Mario? No way!
http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=®2=All&game2=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii®3=All&game3=Mario+%26+Sonic+at+the+Olympic+Games+-+Wii&weeks=40

Call of Duty and Gears of war? Gears does not stand a change, but CoD4 actually helt up for a long time, but dipped a tiny bit earlier.

CrazzyMan said:
@weezy,

a. ok.

b. ok.

c. ok.
not ok.Yes ok

d. as much as ps3 or x360.The point is that Wii TP was crap this year and it still pwned the competition, so just think what it will be when the good stuff comes.

e. MH3, what else?  Fatal Frame IV, Brothers in Arms, Red Steel 2 (can be counted as a AAA game if Killzone 2 can), Rock Band (coming this year), Bully: Scholarship Edition, best version of Star Wars Force Unleashed IMO, plus many more that I can't think of 'cause I've been up for 30 hours.  It's also getting a version of most multiplatform games. 

f. in this generation only FFXIII interest me, maybe FFXIIIv and GoW3. Over 15 years of gaming, got bored.  Holy crap!  How OLD are you?  I thought you were 12 all this time!

g. you should picture me with smiling face =).  Impossible

h. what love? just NO hate. =) No.

i. i prefer shashlik, kebab. =)

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

Good point, how can he have gamed for 15 years if he is 12?

He said that he had work, so that implies he is at least 18, but it could just be a way of speech.

what surprises me is how crazzy says he's tired of same old games and only is looking forward to 2 games this gen, yet he's a ps3 fan...most of us that are tired of the same old games each year are wii fans as it provides a new and refreshing experience...new genres that can't be done with the old controls

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Fastrabbit09 said:
what surprises me is how crazzy says he's tired of same old games and only is looking forward to 2 games this gen, yet he's a ps3 fan...most of us that are tired of the same old games each year are wii fans as it provides a new and refreshing experience...new genres that can't be done with the old controls

No, what is really supprising (yet not really) is that even though he is tired of the "same old", he is waiting for the 13th game in the main series of Final Fantasy . At least mario is only on the 7th game of the main series.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

yeah, and his love for ff has biased him, as seen by his prediction in other thread that ffxiii can release in November (!) and be the top seller of the year

he hasn't realized yet that rpgs are a niche and it will not sell to 40% of the ps3 userbase

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

Insanity is the only gift that allows individuals like Crazyman (aptly named) to continue his persistant belief that the PS3 is on the fast track to domination. No matter how much he and others try to tell themselves that the Wii isn't even in the same league as the 360 and PS3 they still can't shake the dread they feel as they see the Wii outsell both the 360 and PS3's combined sales this week in NA and Others.

Everytime the Wii's numbers drop due to lack of supply, they rejoice, praying inside that this is the changing of the guard and the death of a "fad"... but to their dread the Wii soars to the top again and again when production increases.

But these excuses are not new, Wii-haters try ever so desperately to find some logic, some equation, some reasoning to explain away why the Wii is doing what it is doing. They try rationalizing that the Wii is only selling to Gamecube owners. They try looking at the PS2's early sales trends to encourage them that the PS3 is on the same track to success. They say current Wii sales are only people collecting on rainchecks. And so forth and so forth...

As further testament to Crazyman's mental state, anyone actually excited about FFXIII given Final Fantasy's stark downward trend is sending loud and clear signals that something isn't right upstairs. I guess 'CG Graphics + JRPG > Quality'.