By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ALL marioboys bought SMG and Wii? Or speculations made on SMG and SMS sales

@ Riot Of The Blood. yeah because metroid prime and resident evil 4 reviewed *so* badly

4% makes a huge difference. it is the difference between an awesome game and a masterpeice. there are 106 games in between SMS and SMG. the difference is clear, most people who have played both will stress to you that SMG is noticably more fun.

the reason SSBM was rated down was because of the relatively weak single player component 

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:

@vaio, i don`t see NOTHING wrong about SPECULATIONS based on SALES numbers.
The NUMBERS are REAL.

The numbers are real but the comparison you make is twisted to fit your purposes and there have been lots of posts that proved you wrong but still you continue with your flawed analysis and that´s what makes you fail as a human since you don´t want to admit the failure in your reasoning allthough you have been proven wrong.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Riot Of The Blood said:

1) You are still making the same mistake. You can't compare the sales trends of SMG to SMS, because SMS was clearly handicapped by a lower average review score. =)

2) 4 % in score is nothing in the sub 50 % regions, but when the scores you are comparing are both in the 90+ % range, then 4 % make a huge difference as the SM64 vs. SMS sales comparison clearly shows. =)

3) So, just because Wii sells as good as PS2, doesn't mean that the PS3 will sell as good as GC. =)

A review score over 90% is hardly a handicap. I would call that a very good score, actually. Reviews do not impact sales the way some people think. For example, smash brothers isn't over 90%, yet people love that game. Back in that those days, bashing Nintendo was the hip things to do; that's why a lot of the GameCube games are underscored. There's a simular thing happening to the PS3 right now.

I think Rol isn't really serious hes just playing around. I have to disagree with your underscore theory though, I think gamecube games weren't underscored and I also don't believe this is the case with PS3 either.

Never mind. 

It wold be best that I don't debate with you Nintendo fans...

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Hey Crazy... what you don't get is... even a crappy mario game is an above average platformer.

I mean Mario Sunshine is better reviewed then any Ratchet and Clank game.

Around the Network

Wait you are saying the legs have same attach rate?

When SMS launched, there were 1,5M GCs in Japan ( soruce: http://vgchartz.com/japweekly.php?date=37458)

When SMG launched there were 3,8M wiis in Japan (source: http://vgchartz.com/japweekly.php?date=39390&console=&maker=&disp=American+Name&boxartz=1)

During its first week SMS sold 338K. This means about 23 % of all GC owners bought SMS in its first week. Impressive huh?

During its first week SMG sold 260k. That means about 7 % of all Wii owners bought SMG in its first week.

During its first 6 weeks, SMS had sold 622K, which means about 42 % of all GC owners had bought SMS.

During its first 6 weeks, SMG had sold 505K, which means about 14 % of all Wii owners had bought SMG.

Further math, would unfortunately, be unfair to SMS since SMG would get Chrismas boost.

I fail to see how 14 % = 42 %. I thought it was a third, but hey, I'm just 14, I'm probably wrong...

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

SleepWaking said:
Riot Of The Blood said:

1) You are still making the same mistake. You can't compare the sales trends of SMG to SMS, because SMS was clearly handicapped by a lower average review score. =)

2) 4 % in score is nothing in the sub 50 % regions, but when the scores you are comparing are both in the 90+ % range, then 4 % make a huge difference as the SM64 vs. SMS sales comparison clearly shows. =)

3) So, just because Wii sells as good as PS2, doesn't mean that the PS3 will sell as good as GC. =)

A review score over 90% is hardly a handicap. I would call that a very good score, actually. Reviews do not impact sales the way some people think. For example, smash brothers isn't over 90%, yet people love that game. Back in that those days, bashing Nintendo was the hip things to do; that's why a lot of the GameCube games are underscored. There's a simular thing happening to the PS3 right now.

I think Rol isn't really serious hes just playing around. I have to disagree with your underscore theory though, I think gamecube games weren't underscored and I also don't believe this is the case with PS3 either.

Yeah, the only real problem with reviews now a days is fun doesn't appear to be factored in anywhere.  It's all technical review mostly.  Even Gameplay in a lot of reviews really just boils down to "Controls" mostly and not fun.

Let's now add SM64. That should be intresting. Unless it was pack-in, which I have no idea whether it was or not.

SM64 was a launch title, and sold 292K out of 300K N64s. This means 97 % of the gamers bought Sm64. So to make a fair comparison, we can only do this to SmS and more a year into the future.

After a year, 1.4M copies of SM64 were sold. There were 2.2M N64s sold. This equals about 64 %.

After a year, SMS had sold 810K copies. There were 2.3M GCs. This means about 35 % had bought SMS.

With help of these facts, we can draw many conclusions:

1. SMS had great attachment rate. It didn't sink a lot even through one year, only from 42 % to 35 %. Not many games had a that small loss.

2. Sm64 was owned by more people, in difference no consoles, than SMS ever was.

3. The number of Mario platformers sold decreases each gen, in difference to number of consoles sold.

4. Mario is getting less popular. Less people bought Wii because of Mario, than ever before.

a) u are seriously mistaken if u think that FF has close to the potential user base as Mario...a little hint: the vast majority of people do not like RPGs, while the very vast majority of people who have ever owned a console have owned at least one platformer

b) there is a HUGE difference between being a 90% title and being the highest rated title for a system...the great majority of new Wii owners will consider getting SMG...obv most won't, but it'll be a consideration at least

c) Master Chief is nowhere near the 2nd or 3rd or 5th most recognizable video game character...your average consumer has never heard of Master Chief...I didn't even know of Master Chief until a month or so ago, and I've been a gamer since '87. I knew of Halo obviously, but didn't know Master Chief was the character's name. Lara Croft, Sonic, Pokemon and others are much bigger.

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

Kazs says.

Yeah, the only real problem with reviews now a days is fun doesn't appear to be factored in anywhere. It's all technical review mostly. Even Gameplay in a lot of reviews really just boils down to "Controls" mostly and not fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. When dev's are talking, there are really very few who say " we wanted to make this game as fun as possible" they instead say " we wanted to make this game as GOOD as possible.

I however, feel this is not the case for many of Nintendo's first party games, and that is why they are not being as good recieved anymore. Shigeru said that the most important thing about Twilight Princess, was to create a world that ANYONE could enjoy, and feel was fun. He