By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Umm... I Traded In My WiiU

So was this a mistake?

Yes 307 51.77%

No 285 48.06%

Total:592

Yes. Unless somehow a newer better version of the Wii U is out this or next year.
Not ever a good idea to get back a lot less then what you paid for only to re-buy a system in the future for the same price. Doubt the Wii U deluxe will hit $200 in two years.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network

I don't know if you'll regret the trade-in but It's pretty obvious that impatient people like you are dream customers for game hardware companies. You already bought your 2nd PS3 and some day you'll probably buy your 2nd WiiU.

I bought my WiiU early and as a patient person with currently 6 different gaming platforms at my disposal I'd even wait 5 years for the first Zelda HD, plus: Nintendo decided to give us Wind Waker HD soon and Pikmin will also (most likely) be released this year.

So even though I'd never sell my WiiU (or any other system) there's nothing wrong about your decision. You can do whatever you want, but keep in mind: Buying systems twice doesn't save you money. If you kept your WiiU and your first PS3 you would have saved money and woulln't always think about the fact if one of those systems was not worth the money.

The more systems you have the more choices you have (and you won't spend more money on games, you'll end up buying the best/most interesting games of each system).

You would've gotten more on ebay most likely

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

smbu2000 said:
Weedlab said:

And you base your argument on what evidence? Did Sony set a precedent before? I’m sure they didn’t abandon the PS2 even after the PS3 was launched – unlike their competitors with their platforms. Your words are also contrary to Sony’s VP, Michael Denny.

PSB: Where does the PlayStation 4 announcement leave PlayStation 3?

JR: Typically history can help us only so far here. We’re actually still selling PS2s in regions such as the Middle East seven years after we introduced PS3. There are a number of reasons why the transition might be a bit more accelerated this time round, but PS3 is a very important part of our portfolio, certainly in 2013, 2014 and probably beyond that.

I’d point to the software line-up on PS3 that we have coming up – God of War: Ascension next month, The Last of Us, which is looking great, and Beyond later in the year. And there’s other stuff yet to be announced which is highly significant too. There’s a lot coming on PS3 and it’s going to be very important to us for some time yet.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/03/01/interview-jim-ryan-and-michael-denny-discuss-ps4/

That doesn't suggest the system is at a 'dead end', now does it? It seems to me Sony is going to employ a multipronged strategy, so all systems will get decent support for some time.

-     

-           

You've listed games that will be released this year, with some unannounced games possibly next year. That's one and maybe two years of releases. After that? I'm not saying that they'll stop supporting the HW (they keep peddling ps3's), but there won't really be any new games releasing after the current crop this year. Sony's software studios focus will move on to the PS4. The same thing happened with the PS1 and PS2 as they only got one or two big releases after their successor had released. The PS4 will have years of support from Sony, while the PS3 has 1 maybe 2 left in the tank. It's good if you just want all of the old releases, but don't expect much of anything new after this year. It's the same situation the 360 is in, there are games releasing this year and possibly some next year but MS' main focus will be on the Nextbox. 

I personally wouldn't buy a ps3 or a 360 this year, if I was looking for a new system as both are near EOL. Maybe once the new systems are near release and Sony/MS drop the price of the current systems and you can get it cheap  it maybe be worth it. Otherwise you are buying into an ecosystem that won't really have new games being released for it.

The Wii U will be supported by at least Nintendo for several years, so that system just depends on if you want Nintendo games.

@bolded. Come on you can't really believe this :D

As for the topic:

First thing - don't let yourself get crucified by Nintendo fans here. Second thing, well i won't be very original cause a lot of guys said it before making decisions based on impulse, won't save you much money. But I can't blame you for what you've done and you have some good points. We know the PS4 won't be b/c and we don't know what the Gaikai compatibility will look like, so if you already have some games from PS3 library, getting a new one was definately a good idea(might I add the 500GB SS PS3 is the best SKU to get) i don't know which PS3 model you had in the past, but you basically upgraded it, so it should work perfectly for many years to come.

What I understand is that the WiiU was your only console. If you're tight on money and couldn't afford an extra PS3 then well...You're a gamer for god's sake and you were stuck with a system without a new game release for 3 months or so. That said it, was a good decision if you want to play games. What i think you should do is stick with this PS3 for good, at least until we will know what PS4 brings to the table in terms of b/c. Judging by your avatar and console pedigree you will end up buying a WiiU sometime down the road, simply do what I plan to do regarding the PS Vita, wait for the library to built up, a pricedrop and hopefully a redesing(please give us hdmi out for the Vita ;-( Ethernet port in your case)

So overall good luck and enjoy your PS3 and don't think about it and worry so much

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

eFKac said:

Oh, I don't believe for either the PS3 nor the 360. This will be the last year both of them get significant releases. Sony and MS will both be moving on to their next systems and leave the PS3/360 behind (software-wise) once the PS4/Nextbox are released.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network
smbu2000 said:
eFKac said:

Oh, I don't believe for either the PS3 nor the 360. This will be the last year both of them get significant releases. Sony and MS will both be moving on to their next systems and leave the PS3/360 behind (software-wise) once the PS4/Nextbox are released.

Thanks for shortening the quotation tree

Well fair enough. Of course it depends on what you would count as a significant release. I would argue that there is a good possibility of a similar situation that was present with PSP -> PS2 after the PS3 launch, but now with some late ports from the PS Vita to the PS3. I don't know how hard is to port a game from the Vita to the PS3 given the architecture differences, I guess it will depend on the adoption rate of the PS4, and how many units of software will the PS3 be able to shift in the coming year/s. All in all i believe we may see a game or two for the PS3 from first party next year/next years, and don't think we'll see anything for the 360, save for some Kinect stuff maybe.

Well let's end it here as it is slightly off topic. Cheers!

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

It was a mistake buying early as Nintendo like to screw over early adopters in my experience, then the second mistake was selling just as the games are finally due to arrive. Not to worry though I'm sure you made the right decision in the short term as there's some good PS3 titles due out.

So you bought a Wii U?! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

I agree with the people saying your biggest mistake was buying a Wii U so soon in the first place.

Consoles usually don´t have a great library of games in their first year on the market.

kain_kusanagi said:
I would have kept it for the Nintendo games. I mean trading it in for a PS3 seems shortsighted to me. The Wii U has more of a future than the PS3.

Ironically that should be true and probably is, however I really see no reason at the moment to believe that it is.  In fact all evidence to the contrary.  I've found around 40 upcoming games scheduled for release on the WiiU and for PS3: over 100.