By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should it be necessary to have a PS2, PS3 AND PS4 hooked up all at once to play?

My 18 year old ps1 works fine.

Around the Network

If dropping BC hardware is necessary to get the best hardware in PS4 for new, next-gen video games, then I'll gladly live with that slight inconvenience of hooking up an old system once in a while to play old games. So, yes.

I don't need BC... never did... I prefer the HD Collections.

For PS4 I need U4, GoW4 and GT7

thetonestarr said:
The only people who say BC is overrated are people who sell out for the latest, greatest thing and hold no value in history.

With that said, of all consoles to release to date, WiiU I think is the one system to hold the greatest need FOR BC, with PS3 being a close second. Both systems' predecessors had phenomenal libraries that need to be kept for the modern audiences. And a big reason BC hasn't been a major selling point has mostly been failure to market it properly. In today's economy, I can concede that marketing it properly will be nearly impossible, though.

With me, I have retro compilations for the PS2 that make having the PS2 needed, if I want to be able to play my old stuff.  I have numbers that just haven't been done.  So, if I want to do retro, it is what is needed for me.

kowenicki said:
How else can money be made from "remakes"

Huh?

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
kowenicki said:

Huh?

Remove backwards compatibility, remix content, and rerelease.  Look at what has been done with Halo and also a number of PS2 titles on the PS3.  There is HD remakes.

ethomaz said:
I don't need BC... never did... I prefer the HD Collections.

For PS4 I need U4, GoW4 and GT7

and ULTRA HD collections of Uncharted, GOW and KZ XD.  At least I would like that.

I had a BC ps3, I played 3 PS2 games on it for a total of 5 hours, Maybe. I never once put a ps1 disk in the system. BC isn't a selling point for a new system with new games. Key word new. My PS3 will be moved into the bed room along with my Samsung 720p Plasma. PS4 and a brand new 1080p tv will go in the living room.

richardhutnik said:
brendude13 said:
kowenicki said:

Huh?

Remove backwards compatibility, remix content, and rerelease.  Look at what has been done with Halo and also a number of PS2 titles on the PS3.  There is HD remakes.

I didn't get how his answer linked into the question.

Streaming live games is not an option for me or over half of the US population.

I personally keep all my old systems. They aren't all hooked up at the same time. If I want to play an old game I can easily hook up the system and play. I always have several systems hooked up at any give time. I rotate them in and out depending on what I feel like playing. My Dreamcast has never been away from my TV since it's launch, which really says something about Sega's last system.

Since PS4 won't have backwards compatibility nobody should get rid of their PS3s, especially if they have PSN purchased games. I mean everything people have gotten on PS+ won't move over to PS4 so all that money spent on the subscription will be for nothing if you dump your PS3 for a PS4.

For me games are like movies and books and music. I watch Star Wars almost every year and I replay Mario, Zelda, and Halo from time to time. Old games are just as good today as they were when they came out and just like movies I know I'll want to enjoy them again.

I wish consoles always had full backwards compatibility with all previous consoles. It would makes playing old games much easier. Even with proper maintenance I know one day I won't be able to fix my NES or Genesis. That's why I keep a folder on my computer with emulators. One day the only way to play the console games I own will be on my PC and I don't believe there is anything ethically or morally wrong with playing a ROM of a game you own.