By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Need Article Ideas

So, in my spart time I write gaming based articles for Gotgame.com.  If you frequent N4G.com, you've probably stumbled across a couple of them.  Anyways, lately I've been really struggling to think of good topics for articles that will actually get a decent amount of hits.   So, I'm open to any and all suggestions.  What would you like to see articles about?  Let me know, and if I like the idea and think I could do it decently, I'll give you all of the theoretical articles I earn.

Just to give an idea of the kind of things I do...

http://gotgame.com/2012/04/12/wii-u-ps4-and-x-box-720-specs-and-released-dates-leaked/#.UTl0l1eMo1k

(keep in mind this was a little before E3 last year)

http://n4g.com/news/1187355/top-10-bizarre-sports-that-should-be-made-into-video-games/pen

http://gotgame.com/2013/03/04/the-ps4s-biggest-obstacle-is-the-ps3-the-next-gen-dilemma/#.UTl13VeMo1k

http://gotgame.com/2013/01/09/why-so-serious-how-hd-is-killing-final-fantasy/#.UTl2N1eMo1k

http://gotgame.com/2013/01/17/is-nintendo-playing-possum-or-have-they-run-out-of-steam/#.UTl2kFeMo1k

But of course I'm open to any and all ideas.  Thanks alot if you decide to help :)

Around the Network

I just wrote something about EA and microtransactions -- that's something about which many people have strong feelings. You could even write a short history of microtransactions, the pros and cons, etc.

Top 10 lists are always good: top 10 games that need sequels, top 10 underrated games, etc.

P.S. I like that article on bizarre sports :) I wrote something similar, although it was the other way around: video game events that should become professional sports.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I just wrote something about EA and microtransactions -- that's something about which many people have strong feelings. You could even write a short history of microtransactions, the pros and cons, etc.

Top 10 lists are always good: top 10 games that need sequels, top 10 underrated games, etc.

P.S. I like that article on bizarre sports :) I wrote something similar, although it was the other way around: video game events that should become professional sports.

I think I may have kind of missed the boat on the Microtransactions.  Top 10s are generally pretty easy, so I'll consider that.

I liked that article too, but unfortunately it didn't do all that great with hits.  Most of my hits come from N4G, which is a double edged sword.  If you don't have PS4 or Wii U in the title there (preferably with the word doom sprinkiled in), it's pretty hard to get an opinion piece noticed :(.

Thanks for the ideas though.  Where do you write?

JWeinCom said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I think I may have kind of missed the boat on the Microtransactions.  Top 10s are generally pretty easy, so I'll consider that.

I liked that article too, but unfortunately it didn't do all that great with hits.  Most of my hits come from N4G, which is a double edged sword.  If you don't have PS4 or Wii U in the title there (preferably with the word doom sprinkiled in), it's pretty hard to get an opinion piece noticed :(.

Thanks for the ideas though.  Where do you write?

On my blog. I'll send you the link.

What if you wrote something like "What Sony Can Learn from Nintendo" or "What Nintendo Can Learn from Sony," depending on your preference. Or...something that plays on prevailing attitudes on "hardcore" and "casual." Something like "Is Wii U Struggling Because it's too Hardcore?"

How about tactics to increase retainment periods?
Free DLC over an extended period and stuff like that. (Fire Emblem:Awakening)

Or an opinion article on why DLC sells.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

I've been working on a piece about mobile games and what the future industry will look like in relation to them. Exploring different scenarios, discussing how important they actually are... will mobile devices replace consoles/PCs in the near future? What happens when they can achieve photorealism? etc.

I'm not close to finishing it (it's long as hell), and I probably won't due to school work and other personal projects so you can take it if that interests you.

Of course you can always do a next gen VS article, just make sure PS4 comes out on top if you want thousands of N4G hits lol

Top 10 milked franchises.
Stupidest AI of the decade
Why aren't there any mainstream games with full male nudity?
Who really killed Rodger Rabbit?

Just a few of many brilliant ideas.

Andrespetmonkey said:
I've been working on a piece about mobile games and what the future industry will look like in relation to them. Exploring different scenarios, discussing how important they actually are... will mobile devices replace consoles/PCs in the near future? What happens when they can achieve photorealism? etc.

I'm not close to finishing it (it's long as hell), and I probably won't due to school work and other personal projects so you can take it if that interests you.

Of course you can always do a next gen VS article, just make sure PS4 comes out on top if you want thousands of N4G hits lol

Lol.  Nah.  Actually, you want to make sure PS4 is on the bottom.  You want to get thousands of hits on N4G?  Make an article with "PS4" and "fail" in the title.  Like moths to the flame.

Make an article stating Nintendo offers the best online service (or will), bunch of Microsoft and Sony fans will flock to the article to mock it
Indie developers flocking to 3DS and Wii U eshop
Wii U will recover just like the 3DS (3D Mario, Mario Kart, and possible price cut (deluxe knocked down to 299 and basic at 249 or eliminated)

Always disappointing how well list articles do. Seems like the articles I actually enjoy writing like the one I did on what defines an RPG and how Tokyo Jungle is more of an RPG than Monster Hunter which I had a really fun time writing did so much worse than top 10 list #14 that I write up. Or the news story on the next game from the To the Moon guys getting non hits at all. Sigh.

On the topic of sports games, I think it'd be interesting to read a discussion about how much a sequel has to change from the predecessor to be acceptable and not get hit for it in reviews and how much this differs by genre. Not sure how you'd write that up, but I would be interested.