By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Steam says Windows 8 has overtaken Windows XP

disolitude said:
Mummelmann said:
So they're saying that PC gamers hate Vista and are slow to adopt the very smartphone-ish looks of Windows 8? What else is new.

They are saying they hate Vista and are adopting Windows 8 faster than rest of the population. Over 2X faster than latest internet traffic for Windows 8 appears to be at 3%.

I have some issues with the latest internet traffic data though. I have access to Google analytics data for 100s of sites which can track data based on operating system.

Business related sites have virtually 0% windows 8 traffic. However Entertainment sites are higher (around 7-8%). I think this shows where Windows 8 adoption is headed. Growth is more towards home users and entertainemnt PCs, while business is standing firm on Windows 7.

If MS force gamers to adopt Windows 8 by making future versions of DX incompatible with Win 7 and Vista it will speed up. For me, Windows 8 looks very unappealing. I'm deeply satisfied with Windows 7 though, its stable, simple, sleek, flexible and resource friendly.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
ironmanDX said:
Other? Windows 98 plus?

Yeah thats quite strange considering Steam isn't compatible with anything below WinXP. Dunno what it could be. 

PS4 maybe? 8GB of RAM became most popular config this month. It all makes sense now...

Other linux distros.

Mummelmann said:
disolitude said:
Mummelmann said:
So they're saying that PC gamers hate Vista and are slow to adopt the very smartphone-ish looks of Windows 8? What else is new.

They are saying they hate Vista and are adopting Windows 8 faster than rest of the population. Over 2X faster than latest internet traffic for Windows 8 appears to be at 3%.

I have some issues with the latest internet traffic data though. I have access to Google analytics data for 100s of sites which can track data based on operating system.

Business related sites have virtually 0% windows 8 traffic. However Entertainment sites are higher (around 7-8%). I think this shows where Windows 8 adoption is headed. Growth is more towards home users and entertainemnt PCs, while business is standing firm on Windows 7.

If MS force gamers to adopt Windows 8 by making future versions of DX incompatible with Win 7 and Vista it will speed up. For me, Windows 8 looks very unappealing. I'm deeply satisfied with Windows 7 though, its stable, simple, sleek, flexible and resource friendly.

Windows 7 is a great OS for sure and it has benefits for mouse and keyboard users over Windows 8.  I'm not crazy to argue that Windows 8 beats windows 7 on a desktop with a keyboard and mouse...but it's not that far behind and once you add a touch monitor in to the mix, it becomes a whole new ballgame.

I think I just like the idea of a personalized PC ecosystem that Windows 8 offers, which Windows 7 just doesn't. Much like a cell phone... except at little to no loss of PC functionality.

The idea of carrying a full windows 8 like device in my pocket, which is no different that than the PC I have at homeis quite appealing to me... and it could be a reality a few years down the road.

Something along the lines of this vision, which Microsoft released today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ho00x7ZvDLw

I have a copy of Windows 8 right next to me. Im just debating if i want to upgrade right now

JayWood2010 said:
I have a copy of Windows 8 right next to me. Im just debating if i want to upgrade right now

Dont upgrade but partition your hard drive and install a fresh copy. that way you still keep your window 7 key active and can switch to it any time or dual boot to whichever windows you want.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
JayWood2010 said:

Dont upgrade but partition your hard drive and install a fresh copy. that way you still keep your window 7 key active and can switch to it any time or dual boot to whichever windows you want.

this. also i recommend you do a little research on the different shortcuts, features, etc, of the new os, some people hate it, some people love it, and some people hate it and then love after they figure it out, give it a shot if you dont like it windows 7 should still be around for a long time.

"We're in the business of making money" said by every company ever known

disolitude said:
Mummelmann said:
disolitude said:
Mummelmann said:

Windows 7 is a great OS for sure and it has benefits for mouse and keyboard users over Windows 8.  I'm not crazy to argue that Windows 8 beats windows 7 on a desktop with a keyboard and mouse...but it's not that far behind and once you add a touch monitor in to the mix, it becomes a whole new ballgame.

I think I just like the idea of a personalized PC ecosystem that Windows 8 offers, which Windows 7 just doesn't. Much like a cell phone... except at little to no loss of PC functionality.

The idea of carrying a full windows 8 like device in my pocket, which is no different that than the PC I have at homeis quite appealing to me... and it could be a reality a few years down the road.

Something along the lines of this vision, which Microsoft released today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ho00x7ZvDLw

For the PC its a no-go, at least for me. However, if I were to purchase a handheld device, it would very likely be one that runs on Windows 8, if not for any other reason than knowing the basic setup and functionality and generally being a big Windows fan. It also helps that I'm no big fan of Android and even less of a fan of iOS (most overhyped piece of anything in the world today).

kowenicki said:

Gabe will be crying fat baby tears. 

This is remotely surprising. It will just keep going up and up. 

Now that it's after the price rise and initial hype, I doubt people are seeking out a new PC FOR Windows 8.

It's just that gaming PC turnover is once every 4-5 years, let's say, so that's 50 months, so you'd expect ~2% of PCs to become Windows 8 every month.

All this is evidence of is that people don't object to Windows 8 so much as to seek out the few OEM PCs that are still Win7 and/or install 7 over their new 8 copy. But there is no demand, and /Windows/ sales are no faster than if they'd just kept 7.

Conclusion: It wasn't worth investing R&D in 8.

Mohasus said:
disolitude said:
ironmanDX said:
Other? Windows 98 plus?

Yeah thats quite strange considering Steam isn't compatible with anything below WinXP. Dunno what it could be. 

PS4 maybe? 8GB of RAM became most popular config this month. It all makes sense now...

Other linux distros.

I doubt it. Ubuntu and Mint dominate linux desktops by some margin. The other big name linuxes are usually fighting it out in the server market.

Hope Ubuntu and Mint crack the 1% soon.